Resi CCTV install

I don't do CCTV on a regular basis. I have a client that I just did an alarm for that wants 4 cameras outdoors for watching the kids by the pool and the driveway. Problem is, he wants to see all 4 cameras from 2 locations through his TV's and be able to choose which camera is full screen at each location. Years ago, we'd use a looping video switcher at the first location and a regular switcher at the last location. But that was for commercial and the abundance of cables wasn't an issue. I thought for sure there'd be an easier way to do it now, with all the new video technology out, but I'm finding it to be not so easy. So ..... before going to the CCTV fourms, I thought I see if anyone here has a suggestion.

I've considered a modulator but I understand there's some incompatability issues between digital TV signals and analog signals on the same coax. And I guess I'd need four modulators and being it's digital TV I'm not even sure there's that many free channels and no way to know if they're going to remain free. Costly and too many unknowns.

Even though they don't want to record the cameras.... I've considered using a low end DVR with a handheld remote control capability, in the kitchen, with an infra-red to RF link between the bedroom and the kitchen. But..... I'm not sure about the DVR output being able to be seen on two TV's. And if not ...... is there some way (a device .... amplifier?) to get it to go to 2 TV's? Problem being ....... the bedroom is on the 2nd floor maybe 100 feet of wire.... away. I don't know about the capablity of baluns.

Any suggestions?

Also..... Going to use outdoor bullet, cameras, day/nite, backlight control, automatic infra-red lighting .... 30 to 50 feet. If someone has a suggestion for a camera of this type ..... I'll look into it. Going to need lenses from 2.8 up to about 5.8 . I know it's safest to use Varifocal but if I can find a line of cameras, with fixed lenses at the settings I need. That's ok too.

Any little tidbits of information or suggestions will be useful. Looks like I'm going to have to re-educate myself on CCTV again. I stopped doing CCTV when the cameras still weighed about 5 pounds. There must be a thousand types of cameras to choose from now ........ Jeeeeeeze!

Reply to
Jim
Loading thread data ...

You could use a couple of looping quads, one dedicated to each TV. Take the quad's outputs to the TV's composite video input, and forget modulators. This one has a remote:

formatting link
Mini-coax will make cabling easier.

Here's a pretty good hi-res bullet camera with IR's, and you can order them with 4mm fixed, 3.8~9.5mm or 2.5~6mm varifocals.

formatting link

>
Reply to
alarman

IR remote controllable quad. Programmable Xantach keypad or two remotes and targets.

Put quad output on video in or modulate to unused cable channel.

Another option would be to modulate to 5 cable channels. Cam 1 Ch63 Cam2 Ch65 Cam 3 Ch67 Cam 4 Ch69 Quad View Ch71.

Make sure the customer is willing to pay for what they want.

*** Posted via a free Usenet account from
formatting link
Reply to
Bob La Londe

To keep cabling to a minimum you can send 4camera signals down 1 x Cat5 cable using suitable baluns.

Reply to
Les George

That is true. However, it does not make things any simpler nor will it necessarily gain anything for the user. Instead, he can use a 4-channel modulator and introduce the cameras to the home's CATV cables along with the digital signals comeing from the street.

He'll need to set the modulator to channels not being used by the CATV's digital signals. It may also be necessary to use a low pass filter to accomplish a snow-free picture.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.