Report says VoIP is killing traditional telephony

Content of this post entirely from "

formatting link
". I found the following while searching for new WiFi enabled VoIP phones. Considering the panic over VoIP voiced in ASA I thought it might be of interest.

===================

Matthew Friedman Networking Pipeline News EE Times (05/05/2005 12:42 PM EDT)

MANHASSET, N.Y. - The rapid adoption of Voice over IP (VoIP) is killing off traditional telephony, with 50 percent of small- to mid-sized enterprises expected to rely on VoIP by 2008, according to a new study by Info-Tech Research.

VoIP is growing even more quickly than expected, according to Info-Tech research analyst George Goodall. The study found that 23 percent of small- to mid-sized enterprises are already using VoIP technology and the firm expects the number to grow to 50 percent by 2008. For all the promise of converged networks, however, the speed of the technology changeover has put a strain on IT managers, who are, Goodall notes, "scrambling to implement the technology."

Goodall expects the majority of small to medium-sized enterprises to have switched at least part of their networks to VoIP within the next five years. That could spell disaster for traditional telephony equipment vendors, and whether they can keep up with the market is anyone's guess.

"Companies like Nortel and Avaya are aggressively introducing new VoIP products to the SME market. It may be too late," Goodall said in a statement. "They're racing against a group of young companies with products that specifically address the infrastructure limitations of SMEs. These products aren't just scaled down version of large-enterprise systems. Potentially, they're category killers."

===================

Regards, Robert L Bass

formatting link

Reply to
robertlbass
Loading thread data ...

Who's "panicking"??

Reply to
Frank Olson

Many people are finding out voip is not so hot after there power or internet goes out i have many customers went back to POTS after experimenting with it and finding out all the down sides.

Reply to
Nick Markowitz

Shhh!!! The power never goes out in Brazil.

Reply to
Frank Olson

I read that the majority of homeowners who switched to VOIP are returning to POTS. It's a business that drives the number of VOIP subscribers up. Homeowners have a line or two while a company may have

4 or more. So if they could actual lines, yeah, VOIP is increasing, but if they count users, I bet the numbers arn't that high. What I have not read is how many people VOIP can keep for the long haul.
Reply to
Jen...tel

Isn't Vonage having money troubles???

Reply to
Russell Brill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.