Remember the Good Old Days

I still recall Robert Bass calling me up to brag endlessly and complain about Mike Sabodish only to have Mike call me a little later to carry on about Robert Bass. Don't worry, machinists and tackle makers have the same kinds of guys and more of them. I'm not missing out. LOL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

In the beginning (late 90's) I had high hopes that this would ultimately tu rn into what Steve Ryckman(?) had envisioned. That is, until a long time la ter when I discovered that chaos is somewhat the norm in Usenet, With Bass, ASA never stood a chance of allowing for any civility and although I purpo sely contributed to events, it was perpetrated in opposition to his bellige rence. It was just a case of me being more stubborn than he. But even witho ut me, chaos would have prevailed anyway.

Just goes to show how death can affect change. Sometimes for the better.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Reply to
NickMark

ass could even keep up with todays technolgy especially all the cell ular a nd automation

Ahh .... I dohknow bout that.

There's no denying that he was a pretty smart guy. Unfortunately it was his obsessive need to think that anything that he did or thought was the only possible alternative, without consideration of anyo ne else.

I know he could make a Napco 9600 control panel jump through hoops. I've be en using Napco for over 30 years and still never had a need to do some of t he things he was able to program those panels to do. The 9600 was ahead of it's time and little recognized by the trade for it's capabilities which st ill aren't too shabby in comparison to some of the newer panels all these y ears later. He used the scheduling and holiday features to accommodate Orth odox Jewish restrictions on the uses of technology during certain holidays in some pretty intuitive and amazing ways.

And ..... if you think about it ..... he was ahead of his time as far as th e DIY aspect that the alarm industry is presently taking. I don't know if h is web site is still active but if it is, I'd guess it's doing some great b usiness in the present climate.

I think his capabilities deserve some recognition but his totally deliberat e disruptive personality more than overshadowed any respect that he might h ave achieved ,,,,,,, at least in this forum.

I have thought that perhaps he took on a different persona than his real se lf when he participated in the groups that he disrupted on Usenet. I mean h e actually reported someone to the FAA and told lies that caused someone to have their flying license revoked! And he did that because of a disagreeme nt he had with him in Usenet. How can someone do something like that and fe el justified about it and be considered a sane and civil person? Didn't see m to bother him in the least.

I deliberately, aggressively and openly opposed him in this group way beyon d anything that anyone else did but I didn't hide the fact that I was disru pting a group that was already being disrupted by his aggressions. In other words, if he could take on a onerous persona and disrupt the group, so cou ld someone else. And what difference did it make because no one could accom plish anything here, with or with out me. I'm just too stubborn to let anyo ne walk all over me with impunity. I know a number (maybe all) of the peopl e in this group thought that I was a raging asshole but I never was angry, I just took on the persona of someone as outrageous as he was. If no one el se was going to be allowed to accomplish anything here because of his disru ptions, then I wasn't going to let him accomplish anything either.

Story be told, maybe in his real life he was a good person but ... in my op inion, judged by what he appeared to be here and in Usenet... he met a just end.

Reply to
Jim Davis

On Sunday, September 10, 2017 at 7:38:23 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:

I too spent many years on this newsgroup before it more of less died off. D uring those many years, I had a lot of interface with Robert Bass, and unli ke everyone else, I never had a single problem with him. We disagreed often on things, but always managed to work it out (and he usually ended up bein g correct since I still had a lot to learn about our industry in those days ). Now I don't condone his negative behaviour in the least. But respect beg ets respect, and he and I always treated each other that way. I took a lot of "heat" for even dealing with him, but I refused to stoop to negative beh aviour then and still do now. I also got to know him personally when I was spending time in Florida back then, and he was much like I knew him on the internet. He was devoted to his parents, and well known and loved in the Br azilian community down there, and I met many of his friends at that time fr om that community. He was very welcoming to me and shared his beautiful hom e with me on one occasion. I don't doubt he had a negative side as we all d o, and which he often exhibited on this newsgroup. But he was very smart t echnically and often able to correct technical things said on the group.Per haps those who where corrected didn't like it and instead of learning from it, took it personally- who knows. I do know he died in almost abject pover ty, so I cannot comment on the worth of his business accumen either. But fo r me, he provided a lot of assistance, and on several occasions, I was able to help him out in return. And that is what a technical newsgroup should b e all about.

This newsgroup was of great assistance to me for over a decade so for me, i t was a total success. But like most newsgroups of the time, it was filled with people and opinions that went from hate, up through nonsense, all the way to brilliant. It was left for the reader to sift through the informatio n to get that rare nugget or jewel to be discovered.

I fully expect even this post to solicit all sorts of hateful responses to which I can only say it was what it was to each person. I can only hope he has gone to a better place as will all of us eventually. I certainly don't wish ill of the dead

Reply to
Robert Campbell

On Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 10:05:14 AM UTC-4, Robert Campbell wrote :

During those many years, I had a lot of interface with Robert Bass, and un like everyone else, I never had a single problem with him. We disagreed oft en on things, but always managed to work it out (and he usually ended up be ing correct since I still had a lot to learn about our industry in those da ys). Now I don't condone his negative behaviour in the least. But respect b egets respect, and he and I always treated each other that way. I took a lo t of "heat" for even dealing with him, but I refused to stoop to negative b ehaviour then and still do now. I also got to know him personally when I wa s spending time in Florida back then, and he was much like I knew him on th e internet. He was devoted to his parents, and well known and loved in the Brazilian community down there, and I met many of his friends at that time from that community. He was very welcoming to me and shared his beautiful h ome with me on one occasion. I don't doubt he had a negative side as we all do, and which he often exhibited on this newsgroup. But he was very smart technically and often able to correct technical things said on the group.P erhaps those who where corrected didn't like it and instead of learning fro m it, took it personally- who knows. I do know he died in almost abject pov erty, so I cannot comment on the worth of his business accumen either. But for me, he provided a lot of assistance, and on several occasions, I was ab le to help him out in return. And that is what a technical newsgroup should be all about.

it was a total success. But like most newsgroups of the time, it was fille d with people and opinions that went from hate, up through nonsense, all th e way to brilliant. It was left for the reader to sift through the informat ion to get that rare nugget or jewel to be discovered.

o which I can only say it was what it was to each person. I can only hope h e has gone to a better place as will all of us eventually. I certainly don' t wish ill of the dead

Hello Robert, Good to know you're still looking at the grass from the top,

I think that too much time has passed for you to get any kind of "hateful r esponse" anymore. 99.9% of the time .... civility reigns here now.

However, Though I can't comment on your personal experience with Bass, I on ly know what he was and did in this forum and Usenet. So I guess I can agre e with you on his capabilities but as for the last part, if there really is a "place" to go, I hope it wasn't a good one. He was a deceitful, vile and vengeful person who in my opinion, for all of the years and years of perso nal pain and aggravation he caused people in Usenet .... he should have nev er been born and I can't express the relief I felt what he died. I never fe lt that way about another person in my life ..... but him.

Can't say I hated him ....... just despised his total self-centered lack of respect for others.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Those would be 2 calls I'd rather have passed on taking :)

Reply to
mleuck

He'd figure out a way to bullshit through it all tho I don't ever recall him mentioning either technology

Reply to
mleuck

I certainly didn't care for the guy but knowing people who've died from lung cancer he didn't deserve to go out that way, nobody does

That said I don't miss him (or Mike) either

Reply to
mleuck

On Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 10:11:46 PM UTC-4, Jim Davis wrote:

f. During those many years, I had a lot of interface with Robert Bass, and unlike everyone else, I never had a single problem with him. We disagreed o ften on things, but always managed to work it out (and he usually ended up being correct since I still had a lot to learn about our industry in those days). Now I don't condone his negative behaviour in the least. But respect begets respect, and he and I always treated each other that way. I took a lot of "heat" for even dealing with him, but I refused to stoop to negative behaviour then and still do now. I also got to know him personally when I was spending time in Florida back then, and he was much like I knew him on the internet. He was devoted to his parents, and well known and loved in th e Brazilian community down there, and I met many of his friends at that tim e from that community. He was very welcoming to me and shared his beautiful home with me on one occasion. I don't doubt he had a negative side as we a ll do, and which he often exhibited on this newsgroup. But he was very sma rt technically and often able to correct technical things said on the group .Perhaps those who where corrected didn't like it and instead of learning f rom it, took it personally- who knows. I do know he died in almost abject p overty, so I cannot comment on the worth of his business accumen either. Bu t for me, he provided a lot of assistance, and on several occasions, I was able to help him out in return. And that is what a technical newsgroup shou ld be all about.

e, it was a total success. But like most newsgroups of the time, it was fil led with people and opinions that went from hate, up through nonsense, all the way to brilliant. It was left for the reader to sift through the inform ation to get that rare nugget or jewel to be discovered.

to which I can only say it was what it was to each person. I can only hope he has gone to a better place as will all of us eventually. I certainly do n't wish ill of the dead

response" anymore. 99.9% of the time .... civility reigns here now.

only know what he was and did in this forum and Usenet. So I guess I can ag ree with you on his capabilities but as for the last part, if there really is a "place" to go, I hope it wasn't a good one. He was a deceitful, vile a nd vengeful person who in my opinion, for all of the years and years of per sonal pain and aggravation he caused people in Usenet .... he should have n ever been born and I can't express the relief I felt what he died. I never felt that way about another person in my life ..... but him.

of respect for others.

Yup, still above ground. My son and our two full time technicians run the b usiness now and they have expanded it into several other high tech arenas. As a result, RMR has soared and he invoices amounts for work done far beyon d anything I ever did. I spend my time semi-retired doing office work and b illing, which keeps me involved to the degree I want. We still maintain the "standards" I set years ago...total upfront honesty with clients selling t hem only what they need, month to month contracts ONLY, and now high end ne twork management capabilities for our increasing base of large commercial c ustomers.

ADT bought Protectron, and they now handling monitoring services in a dread ful manner, so our accounts are being moved off to another responsible moni toring company. This is taking some time but it gives us an opportunity to revisit each client and ensure all is working well.

All in all, life is revolving exactly as I would wish. All the best to you and the remainder of the "old gang" still here..

Reply to
Robert Campbell

Yeah, I've seen a few pass that way also. Not a nice thing to happen to anyone... except him. I think the word Karma fits the situation .... nicely.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Nice to hear some chatter from the old gang. Might stop in here more often again.

Reply to
BobbyD

I would guess that Usenet in general is not as occupied as it used to be be cause of all the "Social Media" services that the younger generation have b ecome attached to. Back in the 90's Usenet was the most popular (I think).

I've been involved with some sort of communication since I was 17 years old in the US Navy. Taking Morse Code at over 60 words per minute, sending at close to 100 WPM and typing teletype at 120 words per minute or faster. Now , though I don't use Facebook or Tweeting etc, I text a lot. But when I see these texting races that they have it makes me think about the fact that b ack in the sixties I was sending and receiving messages via Morse Code at m ore than twice the speed that the fastest "texters" can send messages. But ..... I guess it's "progress of some sort"

From what little I see of other Usenet groups that I happen across there ar e still some that are quite volatile but generally I think it has quieted d own from what it was at it's peak.

I think it would be really cool if ASA could build it's self up again but w ith a more mature approach and maybe a restatement of the rules that Frank reposted so long ago. However, it "IS" Usenet and as we all know there is n o way to control blatant disregard for the concerns of others. Everyone can say anything about anyone and there's no way to control who posts what.

Anyway..... it would be nice if it could happen.

Reply to
Jim Davis

2017! wow, this is current, far out, I recognize some names here. I forget what I used to post under, I think I was incognito ha! I used to mix it up with him myself. Overbearing fellow but I'm thinking his dead the way this thread is going and uh... no constant interruptions to get his sig line out there
Reply to
medi00call

t what I used to post under, I think I was incognito ha! I used to mix it u p with him myself. Overbearing fellow but I'm thinking his dead the way thi s thread is going and uh... no constant interruptions to get his sig line o ut there

Yep, you got him pegged. There's about a half a dozen or so of the "old crowd" still hanging out her e. Sometimes there's some discussion about alarms but not much anymore. Most t hreads digress into personal musings and opinions on unrelated subjects. Ha ven't seen an end user question here in ages. As I say, I think the "Social Media" groups see most of that traffic now and You Tube videos abound rega rding alarm matters.

There are some moderated groups that are linked to this Forum but I don't k now if they get to see threads in this group that are not started by someon e within the moderated group. I've tried to join some of those groups but t here are so many people in them that by the time you get to read someone's questions, 20 other people have already answered it. I don't get to sit dow n and do this every day but in those other groups there is maybe a half doz en people who answer 99% of the questions. I can't imagine where they find he time to be available to answer questions all day long, every day. I just leaves other potential contributors out of the mix.

But anyway, check in more often. Maybe there's a Renaissance occurring.

Reply to
Jim Davis

te:

get what I used to post under, I think I was incognito ha! I used to mix it up with him myself. Overbearing fellow but I'm thinking his dead the way t his thread is going and uh... no constant interruptions to get his sig line out there

threads digress into personal musings and opinions on unrelated subjects. Haven't seen an end user question here in ages. As I say, I think the "Soci al Media" groups see most of that traffic now and You Tube videos abound re garding alarm matters.

know if they get to see threads in this group that are not started by some one within the moderated group. I've tried to join some of those groups but there are so many people in them that by the time you get to read someone' s questions, 20 other people have already answered it. I don't get to sit d own and do this every day but in those other groups there is maybe a half d ozen people who answer 99% of the questions. I can't imagine where they fin d he time to be available to answer questions all day long, every day. I ju st leaves other potential contributors out of the mix.

I do remember a Jim from those newsgroup days, can't recall much more detai l, not sure if you're him but hullo! BobbyD sorta rings a bell, others I re cognize, Campbell, cripes, no getting away from that guy :-) I'll be lurking for sure, maybe give Honeywell techs a break hahaha been replacing panels, adding alarmnet, lots o' fun

Leuck still bombing around on that bike?

Reply to
medi00call

rote:

orget what I used to post under, I think I was incognito ha! I used to mix it up with him myself. Overbearing fellow but I'm thinking his dead the way this thread is going and uh... no constant interruptions to get his sig li ne out there

st threads digress into personal musings and opinions on unrelated subjects . Haven't seen an end user question here in ages. As I say, I think the "So cial Media" groups see most of that traffic now and You Tube videos abound regarding alarm matters.

't know if they get to see threads in this group that are not started by so meone within the moderated group. I've tried to join some of those groups b ut there are so many people in them that by the time you get to read someon e's questions, 20 other people have already answered it. I don't get to sit down and do this every day but in those other groups there is maybe a half dozen people who answer 99% of the questions. I can't imagine where they f ind he time to be available to answer questions all day long, every day. I just leaves other potential contributors out of the mix.

ail, not sure if you're him but hullo! BobbyD sorta rings a bell, others I recognize, Campbell, cripes, no getting away from that guy :-)

Yeah, He checks in occasionally with a snide remark to someone. On average I'd say ...... For every good post he makes there are three that are snotty .

Oh yeah! I think he used to ride one of those retarded bikes. I seem to rem ember a picture of him somewhere wearing leotards or something standing bes ide his recliner bikey thingy. Cute!

Reply to
Jim Davis

rote:

orget what I used to post under, I think I was incognito ha! I used to mix it up with him myself. Overbearing fellow but I'm thinking his dead the way this thread is going and uh... no constant interruptions to get his sig li ne out there

st threads digress into personal musings and opinions on unrelated subjects . Haven't seen an end user question here in ages. As I say, I think the "So cial Media" groups see most of that traffic now and You Tube videos abound regarding alarm matters.

't know if they get to see threads in this group that are not started by so meone within the moderated group. I've tried to join some of those groups b ut there are so many people in them that by the time you get to read someon e's questions, 20 other people have already answered it. I don't get to sit down and do this every day but in those other groups there is maybe a half dozen people who answer 99% of the questions. I can't imagine where they f ind he time to be available to answer questions all day long, every day. I just leaves other potential contributors out of the mix.

ail, not sure if you're him but hullo! BobbyD sorta rings a bell, others I recognize, Campbell, cripes, no getting away from that guy :-)

Always, just finished 45 miles tonight

Reply to
mleuck

te:

forget what I used to post under, I think I was incognito ha! I used to mi x it up with him myself. Overbearing fellow but I'm thinking his dead the w ay this thread is going and uh... no constant interruptions to get his sig line out there

Most threads digress into personal musings and opinions on unrelated subjec ts. Haven't seen an end user question here in ages. As I say, I think the " Social Media" groups see most of that traffic now and You Tube videos aboun d regarding alarm matters.

on't know if they get to see threads in this group that are not started by someone within the moderated group. I've tried to join some of those groups but there are so many people in them that by the time you get to read some one's questions, 20 other people have already answered it. I don't get to s it down and do this every day but in those other groups there is maybe a ha lf dozen people who answer 99% of the questions. I can't imagine where they find he time to be available to answer questions all day long, every day. I just leaves other potential contributors out of the mix.

etail, not sure if you're him but hullo! BobbyD sorta rings a bell, others I recognize, Campbell, cripes, no getting away from that guy :-)

e I'd say ...... For every good post he makes there are three that are snot ty.

1 to 3? Naaa it's about 50-50 unless of course the Moni-t-rONICS guy shows up then it's 90% snide
Reply to
mleuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.