Relay used with DSC PC3000

I have an old DSC PC3000 panel that I took over lots of years ago. There's a relay module in it that I now want to use to trip a radio. The relay looks like it's tripped from the bell output and can provide two steady outputs to the radio from the steady burg and pulsing bell outputs of the panel.

I know it's old stuff but does anyone have a link to the installation instructions for the relay (if it still exists) or can tell me what color wires go to which terminals on the panel in order to obtain the two steady outputs?

Thanks

Reply to
Jim
Loading thread data ...

That sounds like a PC-16 output board, it should have 16 terminals correct? Give me an email address and I'll send you what I have

Reply to
mleuck

Nope. It's a simple relay. He's going to have to replace it with a twelve volt relay that's got two sets of contacts. I'm not sure what the current relay's hooked up to, but if it's the hokey one that Tried/DSC normally supplies it's only got one set of normally open/normally closed contacts. He could disconnect them and use a meter to determine which is which.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Nah .... this board has 4 leads ...... two of which (red and black) go to the bell terminals. I think the other is a yellow that I think is supposed to go to aux positive and a blue lead that isn't connected to anything now .... but on the board it is labled Pgm. Then there is a set of terminals for the relay contacts. (six terminals?)

I don't know if the PGM lead is supposed to be connected in order for it to work .... or not. I presume that the yellow lead is supposed to provide power for the relay board but ...... If I remember right the PC 3000 switches negative on the bell output and if it does ..... that means the board ..... the way it's wired now doesn't have negative and isn't powered until the bell rings ....... and if the output is pulsing .......etc etc.

So I'm assuming that the person who wired it to begin with didn't know how it was supposed to work and just left it. When I took over the system there wasn't anything connected on the relay outputs so I don't know why the relay was even in the panel. From what I understand Elks

941 relay does what this one is supposed to do. (per the DSC local rep) ( but I forgot to ask him what the original DSC part number was) So if I can get the spec's on this one .... I'll use it, if if works. If not .... I'll get the Elk relay
Reply to
Jim

No .... you can't use a standard relay for the pulsing output. The radio needs a steady input to trip. This relay converts the pulsing output to steady. I could use a standard relay but I'd have to put a whopping capacitor across the coil to hold it in while the voltage was pulsing. Or, I could tell the customer in the event of a fire, hold these two wires together until everyone is out of the house.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.