Re: Who's blog is this ?? --- Security related

RHC: Graham, I agree that this is clearly not an objective " review"';

>however, if you poke around on his blog a bit, you'll see his heart is >in the right place ! He outlines some of the scummy tactics used by >APX Alarms to sell, as well as some of the other more objectionable >tactics used in our industry (such as selling using the "fear >factor")

Yeah, his heart is in the right place maybe. I was just looking for product reviews for the 2Gig systems, didn't expect a non-review.

I'm tempted to use them or the new Lynx Touch for renters. The 2Gig has a GSM communicator built-in, so even if it's knocked off the wall it's still communicating (hopefully).

Dunno who he is, but he sounds like a small alarm dealer who has had a >gut full of the shady side of our business and has just gone on a >rant.....

I thought it was someone here at first, but that one does not share the same opinion on "all-in-ones".

Reply to
G. Morgan
Loading thread data ...

RHC: Even though they don't fit in my "target market", I have heard some good things about the 2Gig panel. One large national company up here (Protectron) has taken them on as a line and they sell very well apparently. However, they are still another totally wireless option with emphasis on neither home automation or security, so I would be naturally suspicious (or at least very cautious)

I had planned a meeting with their Product Manager up here, but it got cancelled due to my trip south. I just never followed up with him. A third line of panels is just one more I have to support in my business, and my gut tells me that is one too many...

Reply to
tourman

Thanks, that's more helpful than the 'review' !

They also have a hardwired transceiver to grab 8 zones from the original panel (on a takeover).

I emailed them and a rep said they would be in touch shortly. That was about a month ago.

Reply to
G. Morgan

That's exactly the reason I want to use them for renters. It's a good way to generate cash, and you're off the hook if the payments are not made (for O.A.Q. dealers

formatting link
None of the big 3 (or is it down to 2 now?) will touch renters, especially with poor credit. It's an untapped market, and I think they deserve an alarm system just like a homeowner if they pay for it.

Plus, the renter can take the system with them if they move. A demo/re-install is gravy $$.

Reply to
G. Morgan

RHC: Just watch your back Graham ! If they default, someone has to pay....there ain't no free lunch....:)

Reply to
tourman

According to Tom, there is!

Reply to
G. Morgan

Oh God! Do I have to explain EVERYthing to you?

You said that you were as innocent as the day was long ...... And I said .... leave it to you to be vague, because the days are now getting shorter .....

Get it? "Day was long"? ..... "now getting shorter"? June 21st? First day of summer?...... Vague? Sigh.!

Jeeeze ...... you'd spoil a wet dream.

Reply to
Jim

RHC; Jeeeze guys, between you and Tom, it's hard to say anything around here anymore.!! Cripes, I don't wish Tom bad...quite the contrary....I hope this works out well for him. I haven't read the details about what he is doing since it would never apply to me, so I'm the first to admit that I have no real feeling for the likelihood of his success or failure. All I was trying (before you guys jumped down my throat) to say to Graham really was, know exactly what you're getting into before you go too far down the line with anything new. It doesn't take a genius to look around at our industry with all it's deceptions, fast buck artists and "money before customers" approach to business to become more than a little suspicious of any new venture.

I hope you, Tom and Graham succeed well in everything you do. But don't crap on me if I simply say "be careful" ...

Other than that, I'll stay outa this thread....:(

Reply to
tourman

Thanks!

Why? You're doing fine. Hell, it's a little like the "good 'ole days" again!

Reply to
G. Morgan

Oh ......What a weenie!

Come-on back We're just teasin.

(Pssst ... Tom .... put the "KICK ME" sign on his back when he gets here)

Reply to
Jim

RHC: Hrummmph.....!!

Reply to
tourman

Who you callin a hump .... wise guy?

Reply to
Jim

RHC: Groan....is there no end to this thread....:))

Reply to
tourman

Hell, at this point, never mind the pair........ I'd be satisfied with only one ...... and a rubber ducky.

Reply to
Jim

Check out Alarm.com's Smash and Grab feature and you'll see why that's not a big deal with any panel that uses it including this one.

I agree with you on the certain applications part, too many times these types of systems are installed in the wrong environment.

Reply to
mleuck

You won't be disappointed, my only complaint about the panel is it uses a hard to find 14VDC transformer instead of the standard 9 or

16VAC. Then again Honeywell is going the DC route as well with the Touch

The original panel was OEM'd by Linear, normally I am not a big fan but they didn't design it, the wireless sensors are okay but I'd rather use Honeywell stuff with it.

The funny part is the background info, the founders are from Honeywell, the engineer Scott Simon is the son of the founder of FBII and is partner was one of Honeywell's biggest salespeople Lance Dean. When they started the company nobody thought they could design, create and release a panel like that in a year. When they did a LOT of dealers switched over to it and the other manufacturers freaked which is why you are starting to see more touchscreens out there.

Reply to
mleuck

Yeah, paying $300 for a touch screen is way overpriced. Considering the technology can be had on the cheap on other (non alarm) devices. I have a Galaxy Tab 7" touch screen with more processing power than any alarm system, with built in GSM, 2-Way voice and video, WLAN, and storage.

All I need is wireless IP based sensors and a little software...

So what company is secretly making IP wireless devices? I think that's the future of wireless.

And if I'm the first one who thought of that, I want a cut from whoever steals my idea.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.