Re: How does one find employees, including trainees?

I think it's safe to assume that Mr. Sokoly didn't write the test or administer it either.

Mike, calm down. He's talking about intelligence. This would be outside your area of expertise.

The problem is that Mr. Sokoly is *trying* to find a reason why end users should not install their own alarms. No amount of reason and logic will convince him. He's on a mission. :^)

Fortunately, what Mr. Sokoly may or may not want is of no consequence to anyone other than Mr. Sokoly.

Indeed.

Reply to
Robert L Bass
Loading thread data ...

But do you need a calculator to keep track of Robert L Bass's BBB complaints?

20 complaints in just 36 months.........................................................................

Bass Home Electronics 4883 Fallcrest Cir Sarasota, FL 34233 Telephone: (941) 925-9747 Fax: (941) 925-9747

formatting link

formatting link

formatting link

See the BBB report on line before you purchase from this vendor.

SEE THE REPORT BELOW

formatting link

>
Reply to
Group-Moderator

Absolutely not. I have worked with some guys who were not much better than monkeys and they couldn't install worth a damn.

Perhaps I overstated when I made the "overqualified" remark. I know Ohm's law, however I have never calculated anything out on paper to troubleshoot an alarm system. Therefore I can understand folks saying that one need not know it.

Would I hire someone who didn't at least know what it was? No.

Ohm's law is such a basic aspect of electronics that someone who doesn't know it doesn't know enough about electronics to work with alarms (IMHO).

But unfortunately interviewing and hiring techs is not in my job description.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Reply to
Everywhere Man

Shaddup bAsshole...

The "monkey" thing was going around a lot longer than before I joined the "IB".

Check it out:

"AND ...... If you respond by saying that a monkey with half a brain and 5 minutes of instruction can do it ..... I'll send you an E-mail bomb! "

From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.comzapp (ALARMIN) Subject: Re: DIY Help File: Protect a window in an insulated wall Date: 1998/10/25 Message-ID: #1/1 X-Deja-AN: 404940956 References: X-Admin: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com Organization: AOL

formatting link
Newsgroups: alt.security.alarms

Reply to
G. Morgan

hahahahahahaha!!!!

Who won the pot??? I thought the Pig would have wrote that a long time ago!

Reply to
G. Morgan

I can't believe the way this thread have evolved. Tech's DO use Ohm's law on a regular basis whether they know it or not. Haven't you ever been diagnosing a swinger before? That involves measuring the loop resistance, and knowing the current that will trip the initiating circuit. Of course we just look up the limits in our manuals, but what about finding voltage drops across series-parallel circuits on that same loop? We're calculating this as we go along the loop -- in our head.

Haven't any of you had special apps. that required a bunch of relays? Did you not first calculate the voltage divided by coil resistance to see how much of your p/s would be used?

Haven't any of you taken the NBFAA level one course that REQUIRES you to know Ohms law to keep your licence?

Knowing DC circuit analysis makes the difference between a lead-man and a helper.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I didn't ask them what their thought process was, but I assumed they used the meter as you would a battery and bulb or a buzzer continuity tester. Relative brightness of the bulb or tone of the buzzer gives some indication, similar to a meter ..... yet you don't have to use ...... or even know that there is a formula, to figure out if the circuit is good or not.

But anyway these guys would use a meter for continuity and for reading voltage on a circuit .... I guess because they knew they were supposed to get a reading of 12. If they didn't get that, they knew "something" was wrong. Sometimes I had to help but not often. They wouldn't have ever tried to take a current reading. I doubt they would have understood what they were looking at or even know what to expect.

These guys had been around for a pretty long time and were good installers and could usually locate any problems that occured in an installation. That's all that I expected from them. They knew there was an Ohms Law. They just didn't know what it was. Maybe they figured if they broke it, they would get a summons.

Reply to
Jim

This is a futile argument. we disagree and that is that. the world wont end because if it. and as for the shot without provocation, touchy, touchy. if you can't take a shot every once and a while what fun is it? i don't have the burning hatred for you that some seem to here. you were just an easy target in this instance.

So chill out and take a ride on your sccoter, scooter.

Reply to
Tommy

True, but in this newsgroup that qualifies it for at least another 263 posts. :^)

No problem. But that's why I bothered to correct you.

Fun for whom? I guess you won't mind if I take a few potshots at you every now and then.

Hatred only burns the one doing the hating. My life is fine regardless how screwed up some of the idiots who post here may be. Guys like Olson, Cracker and Jiminex spend more time and energy attacking me than they do running their business. Guess who they hurt.

Actually, I've decided to sell the Burgman 650 scooter and buy something else. It's a fun bike but after taking the MSF course I decided I'd look at a few cruisers.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Dunno. I haven't "attacked" you in months. You do seem to enjoy taking "potshots" at me though.

Reply to
Frank Olson

I don't see it as confusion, i just feel that if you are using a meter to find resistance, you are instinctively using the formula. but then maybe i am equating memorization with understanding.

Reply to
Tommy

It's also a fundamental in basic electronics. i would hope that any trainees you have are getting a basic understanding of electronics as well as how to pull wires through two floors

Reply to
Tommy

Agreed. I do the hiring, and any one who wants on the list needs to know some basic electronics or be teachable, and have decent mechanical skills.

Reply to
Tommy

He luv's ya, man!! I'll bet he has a blown up poster of you behind his kitchen counter. :o)

Reply to
Bob Worthy

The "formula" is not instinctive. Unless of course you touch a live wire... :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Robert L Bass scribbled:

Perhaps it would be a good idea for you to spend some time on your own website... Like *changing the contact information for instance* (you're still showing your old address... Tsk!). I notice that you no longer use the free "Kounter". Those pop-under ads from "Winfixer" were annoying as hell, weren't they? I'll bet you got lots of complaints (considering the number of hits you supposedly get every day)... And what ever happened to that "troll-free" number you said you were going to get?? Seems to me that a guy that's doing business "online" should definitely have one. In fact, ISTR you used a similar argument when deriding a competitor a while back...

Reply to
Frank Olson

I guess not if you are training monkeys. if you dont know what the numbers on the meter mean all you are doing is "reading" the meter. using that information from the meter implies an understanding of the concepts behind numbers.

Reply to
Tommy

Using your own analogy, If you didn't know what the tach on your bike meant when it reached 7,000 rpm you would probably push it to 10,000 and blow something up, brag about it or both.

similarly, if you don't know what ohm's are do you really know how to read a meter. You can probably get by, but that is different than knowing what you are doing

Reply to
Tommy

The explanation is simpler than that. You were wrong. You don't need to know Ohm's law to use a meter. Many people who don't know Ohm's law at all can still read the meter. There's no "instinctive" use (whatever that means) of what they don't know.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.