Re: Alarm system transformer + power supply (would both go bad at once?)

My main question is *where* can I find a "pass through" alarm servicing company that will sell me just the board for the $105 it's worth.

This guy can't find the boards (I talked to him personally):

formatting link
Nobody will sell them to him. Yet, Bosch told me that they have plenty in stock.

So, it's only a question of finding the right "pass through" guy.

I'm hoping at least one person on this thread knows that answer since I don't.

Reply to
Danny D'Amico
Loading thread data ...

When I saw that suggestion, I ran a search at Grainger for D2212B:

formatting link

But, nothing came up.

Then I searched alarm systems, and only the sensors came up. I didn't call them though.

I'll call 'em tomorrow, because, well, because huckleberries are found where they are, and not where I might think they are.

Reply to
Danny D'Amico

My logic in asking would be the same as my friend asking me how much my cellphone cost. I could still quote the price even if I had no intention of selling it to him.

They all told me exactly the same thing. If they told me the price, they would be breaking their legal agreement with the manufacturer.

So, one thing I've learned here is that Bosch sure knows how to lock up a market. I'm pretty sure I will have a source by tomorrow though, as I have a few leads pending from my phone calls.

Reply to
Danny D'Amico

Hi, What if the new board blows up when replaced? Are planing to protect it some how from that occuring? BTW, looking at arrow marking on diode can yu tell which direction current electron or current flows? Can you tell which lead is cathode or anode?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

You shoulda got here a coupla years ago, Robert Bass would sell anything to anybody.

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

Hi, You should. That Omron relay contats can be open or closed. Is it NO or NC relay? Is the coil good? Have you metered them out? What is the findings? Did you looked up the specs. of that very common relay?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Ditch the old and get the new. Many available:

formatting link

(Hey, I finally remembered to copy the proper link. I know, what a moron...)

Reply to
Nightcrawler®

Thanks for that advice. The sticky tape was covering the traces:

formatting link

So, following your advice, I peeled it mostly off, and looked with a magnifying glass as you had suggested:

formatting link

The 1,000uF 35V capacitor leads are burnt a bit, but, it could have been a replacement cap for all I know, as the cap is not shorted nor is it an open (it's about 350 ohms steady).

formatting link

However, the fact is that this sequence shows *something* is wrong with that D135A battery-protection board:

1. The battery is 13.31V
    formatting link
  2. Connecting this way is 13.31V:
    formatting link
  3. But, connecting this way is 0V:
    formatting link
Reply to
Danny D'Amico

Thanks. If it comes to that, I'll start fresh. I have 24 zones to deal with though ...

formatting link

Reply to
Danny D'Amico

That's why I only want to spend the $104 to replace it. It *does* have overload circuit protection besides.

I've done plenty of smoke tests in my life. This will be one of them.

Heh heh ... here is a board I built many years ago to test impedence (j omega stuff). I wired a diode to house current! You'll notice the diodes. Particularly, you'll notice that the nichrome wire resistor has the same impedance as the the capacitor. (I couldn't find an inductor of a large enough size.) FRONT:

formatting link
BACK:
formatting link

Also notice this circuit, where I used 555 timers (I think that's what I used), way back in the 80's, to measure capacitance and resistance simply by counting the flash rate ... FRONT:

formatting link
BACK:
formatting link

I did those circuits in the early 80's but, of course I know about the shape of the diode curve and which is the anode and which is the cathode.

formatting link

Everyone knows this basic stuff... even we accountants.

Reply to
Danny D'Amico

Before you start pratting around checking diodes, capacitors and the like you should disconnect all the external wiring to the circuit board and power the board up on its own to verify that the field wiring or expansion modules are not the cause of the problem

Doug

Reply to
doug

I hope that you realize that you are not getting a reading off of the capacitor. Most likely that is the resistance of the other components on the board.

Reply to
Nightcrawler®

I am certain you may find something that works, and is probably better than the ancient thing that you are playing with.

Reply to
Nightcrawler®

Great idea, Doug. After he removes the old system, and installs the new one, his pet project on the side will be getting the old system working. :-)

Reply to
Nightcrawler®

Use the meter test lead (red) to touch the red battery lead to the output terminal briefly. You should hear the relay pull in. Then the power terminal should be at 12 volts. This board depends on AC power being applied to the alarm unit and some battery charging current needs to be available to arm the battery protection board.

tm

Reply to
tm

Hi, You checked the state of that Omron relay? Is it it NC or NO relay. Is the contacts closed now or open, is the coil OK? Diode, and Zener... If you are going after ICs, Huntron tracker comes handy.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I used to use a capacitance meter (I forget what we called them way back in the 80s in one of my lab classes), so, I'm familiar with the fact that it's hard to measure capacitance.

However, I did think (errantly perhaps) that the capacitor would show as a short or as an open if it were "blown".

Since it showed with resistance, I wasn't sure, what I was reading. I *did* expect the voltage to climb slowly, since the meter would have been supplying charge to the capacitor's plates; so, the fact that the resistance was steady should have been a good datapoint.

What I will likely do is take a trip to RadioShack and buy a 1,000 uF 35V electrolytic of a similar size and see if I can wire it back up.

I wanted to first draw the circuit so that I could figure out how to test it though.

So, thanks for pointing out the faux pas in my measurement. I appreciate the correction.

Reply to
Danny D'Amico

Oh! That would make a huge difference since the AC transformer is out of commission at the moment (waiting for the replacement to arrive).

Thanks for that helpful advice!

Maybe I should only test it with the AC transformer in place?

Reply to
Danny D'Amico

Just bump it with the 12 volts from the battery. That will pull in the relay and latch the output. When the voltage falls below the 9 volt limit, the relay will drop out and disconnect the battery completely.

Just for the fun of it when you go the RS, you might pick up an in line fuse (3 amp or so) and put it in the red battery lead. that will keep the fire from starting. :) Get yourself a supply of fuses just in case. I don't see any fuses on the boards at all.

When you get this working, next thing to do is disconnect all the other panels from the main unit. Tag all the wires so you know where they go. That way, you can narrow down any power issues to just the main board.

Reply to
tm

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.