RCR- Pet Motion Detector Problems

I hope someone here will be kind enough to assist with my problem. I am not a professional installer, but a FAIRLY knowledgeable end-user. In the living room of my home, I have a G.E. "RCR-Pet" motion detector. This is the second unit of this type my installer and I have tried. The first such sensor was installed over a year ago when another technology (floor-joist load-cells) proved unsuitable. The load-cells themselves were a replacement for another brand of motion detector which proved unsuitable.

The sensor is mounted SLIGHTLY above the maximum recommended height - the top of the sensor is at 8ft. 1in. above the floor. It is mounted on an "over-hang" prohibiting lowering it, if the 1-inch overage was actually significant. There is a 10lb cat as well as 2 dogs in the room. The dogs are large (Rhodesian Ridgeback and a Saint Bernard/Collie cross) BUT they are crated when the system is armed. The Saint Collie's crate is BEHIND the sensor, under the over-hang, outside of the coverage pattern. The ridgeback's crate is outside of the sensor's set range and was, until recently, outside of the coverage pattern. She is also smaller than the 80lb immunity claimed for the unit.

When the first sensor was first installed, it was mounted flush to the wall of the over-hang. It was set to detect only within 9 feet. I noticed a problem: it did not "catch" well for people passing through the most likely path of an intruder in the room. We installed a "swivel-bracket" and angled the unit approx. 45 degrees toward the ridgeback's crate, which is approximately 12 feet from the unit. During walk-testing, catch was improved noticeably.

A few days ago, the sensor falsed. Afterward, I noticed it was detecting BEYOND the set 9 foot range. Suspecting the unit was defective, my installer and I replaced it. The new unit is also detecting beyond the 9 foot range, as well as detecting BEHIND the unit (despite the fact that G.E. advertises no "back-lobe"). The unit is still on the "swivel-bracket", but is now oriented straight ahead as the first one was. I have an "RCR-A" in the master-bedroom (no animals in there when system is armed) and it's range-detection is flawless.

Have we gotten 2 lemons, or is this model junk? Thanks in advance for any help.

Andrew Wood

Reply to
Andrew & Adair Wood
Loading thread data ...

For your application, I'd suggest the Paradox DG75.

formatting link
I usually stay away from the microwave stuff in a home environment.

Reply to
Frank Olson

The DG75 is actually a very good unit. Be advised that the dealer cost on that model is about $21. They retail for $27.75.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

You can try the Honeywell IS2535

formatting link
, I haven't had any problems with them... Be WARNED, when it comes to cats getting up on bookshelves, China cabinets, and other tall furniture, THERE ISN'T A MOTION on the market that won't false... I no longer use any GE sensor of any kind, the GE Bean Counters have totally Bastardized most of the product lines/companies that were purchased by GE... They run their security manufacturing business like their appliance business, which means they're selling gift wrapped Terds to everyone... :-))

Reply to
Russell Brill

"Go away. You offer nothing of value to this newsgroup."

Reply to
Frank Olson

Reply to
Andrew & Adair Wood

Don't know if you're still reading this or not, but my guess is that you've got some metal objects or some kinds of reflective material in or around the room. A large mirror or mirrors will do it. Metal blinds may do it also. Or any of these things in combination with the metal in the cages, kitchen appliances, metal foil insulation, foil wall paper and so on. You also didn't say if the unit was facing any windows.

By the way, if the other unit in the bedroom is within the array of this unit, don't think that because you have the range adustment low on these units that they can't see and thus affect one another. For instance .....if the units are 50 foot units and you have them set for nine feet and within 100 feet of one another ...... one will set off the other. Ask me how I know!

Reply to
Jim

I'll bite. How do you know?

Reply to
G. Morgan

The Ridgeback's crate is metal. The unit is now facing nearly straight forward again. Configuration of the room and contents requires that the unit at least partially face a sliding glass door. The door is outside of the unit's set range. It was only AFTER facing the unit toward the crate and away from the door that the problem began. I'm calling that a clue and stopping work on what was never broken! :) Catch is adequate with current alignment. If there are further problems, I plan to try the DG75 first. Thank you to all who replied.

Jim wrote:

Reply to
Andrew & Adair Wood

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.