Ranger American yahoos.

I went to visit one of Ranger American prewires yesterday:

Cons: Cheep cheep cheep two conductor wire. Keypad locations at belly button height - you'd have to be a midget to read the display. No service loops at any of the windows or devices - if the wire gets tagged by drywallers your sol. White Contacts (cheep) on brown windows.

3/8" holes for all wires - pita if you need to replace a switch. Wires parallel in electricians holes - not all but enough Alarm panel upstairs, Structured Wiring Box downstairs (still can't figure this one out. why not both in same place?) Interior siren mounted on a steel ring at 5" from the floor (gonna look real purty on that living room wall) One firewire coiled up in the attic ... two bedrooms downstairs 3 upstairs...I guess we can't do a smoke downstairs. Flexible 2" conduit going from the alarm panel upstairs to the swb downstairs...WHAT FOR?? Absolutely nothing...will serve no purpose. They used firestop everywhere the kind that hardens like a rock. Most of us just stuff the holes with fiberglass insulation.

Pros They actually used firewire to the attic coil Firewire for power & siren They stapled all their wires up above where the insulation will be - I was shocked at this.

They are absolutely refusing to add any other options for my client (who, as I said is ending up buying their stuff that we will rip out and install our crap)

Reply to
Crash Gordon
Loading thread data ...

Only Ranger I know of is in Texas, they going national or is that another Ranger?

(Diamond stickers?)

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Reply to
Everywhere Man

Ranger American has offices in 5 states:

formatting link
Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

That must be some recent expansion or result of the Centex purchase

They do/did a hell of a great job with prewires, no idea how they do everything else

Reply to
Mark Leuck

wimpy looking white & blue signs...i think they're outta Florida

| >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

San Antonio

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I think they recently closed the office in Florida, at least on the east coast. They had one on the west coast but I don't know if they are still open. They did alot of training, for the state required technician course, throught the Alarm Association, the first quarter of this year. I had heard that their builder prewire program was eating their lunch here.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

If I were one of their trim-out guys, I'd shoot the rough-in crew...they make it really hard on themselves! The belly-button height keypads gave me a chuckle. On your knees fool and program that damn system NOW!!

| >

| > | >

| > | >

| > | | > | | >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Around here they wire them behind the MBR, Garage Door, Front door lightswitch plates. Tone 'em and fish 'em .

Reply to
G. Morgan

Taking the ADA thing to heart, are they? I don't run across them, even though they were in the area. With 400+ alarmcos operating in this area of the state, there are certain markets I stay away from. Ranger was in the builder market and then they had the vultures flying overhead to swoop in on clients prewired and sometimes trimmed out homes as they close. Maybe that was Rangers fault for leaving the door open but what a feeding frenzy. Clients laugh as these companies beat themselves into the ground giving away their first born to get an account. I like a less crouded playground in my old age.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

We can't do that here. It won't pass inspection. On a prewire, the wire needs to be run to a mudring or, if on a fire wall, into a fire rated box. That establishes the location at prewire. My biggest problem, when someone else prewires, is that they don't leave enough room between the light switch and the keypad location causing a conflict. It is nothing more than lazyness because they don't want to build out the stud if it is mounted next to the light switch. If they mount it above, there is no consistancy because there is no code or standard for height unless it is to be ADA compliant. Either that or they are so far off, any type of alignment, that it looks like schmitt.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

"With 400+ alarmcos operating in this area of the state",

That's only the licensed alarm companies...I would say there are at least three times that amount of unlicensed alarm companies in your area of the state, including Miami-Dade...... Wouldn't you agree?

Norm Mugford

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
Norm Mugford

When three top ranking building officials in Miami-Dade County were recently caught selling counterfeit licenses right out of the building department for anywhere from $2000-$15,000 per license, lord only knows how many illegals there are out there or how many consumers have potential damage. This leads to another question I have for you next week at the ECLB meeting. There is only one way that mess will get cleaned up and I am interested in seeing, who in government, will have the guts to do it. I have been on my soapbox about this since, let me see if I can even remember how long......1988!! Who knows how far reaching this is.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Holy crap! Were they thown in jail?

Sounds like ya'll have a real mess on your hands.

Reply to
G. Morgan

They got two of them and the third fled the country with his family, mother included. They are looking at alot of time, I am sure. They have identified at least 187 contractors, so far that are involved. That is at first clance. They figure at least 3400 victims so far just in the one county. They haven't looked at the 38 cities within that county to see how many may be there.

Yep and I usually would never say "I told you so" but "I have been telling them so" for a long time, to include you know who. They just don't know how to look until it hits them square.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Thats why i hardly ever put rings up for kps...cant make the look purty and aligned with the switches below when you put up a ring.

| > >If I were one of their trim-out guys, I'd shoot the rough-in crew...they | > >make it really hard on themselves! | > >The belly-button height keypads gave me a chuckle. On your knees fool and | > >program that damn system NOW!! | >

| >

| > Around here they wire them behind the MBR, Garage Door, Front door | > lightswitch plates. Tone 'em and fish 'em . | | We can't do that here. It won't pass inspection. On a prewire, the wire | needs to be run to a mudring or, if on a fire wall, into a fire rated box. | That establishes the location at prewire. My biggest problem, when someone | else prewires, is that they don't leave enough room between the light switch | and the keypad location causing a conflict. It is nothing more than lazyness | because they don't want to build out the stud if it is mounted next to the | light switch. If they mount it above, there is no consistancy because there | is no code or standard for height unless it is to be ADA compliant. Either | that or they are so far off, any type of alignment, that it looks like | schmitt. | >

| >

| >

| > -- | >

| > -Graham | > (remove the double e's to email) | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Reply to
Everywhere Man

"You know who".

Who wood that be?

Norm Mugford

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
Norm Mugford

Above.

| >

| > | > >If I were one of their trim-out guys, I'd shoot the rough-in | > crew...they | > | > >make it really hard on themselves! | > | > >The belly-button height keypads gave me a chuckle. On your knees fool | > and | > | > >program that damn system NOW!! | > | >

| > | >

| > | > Around here they wire them behind the MBR, Garage Door, Front door | > | > lightswitch plates. Tone 'em and fish 'em . | > | | > | We can't do that here. It won't pass inspection. On a prewire, the wire | > | needs to be run to a mudring or, if on a fire wall, into a fire rated box. | > | That establishes the location at prewire. My biggest problem, when someone | > | else prewires, is that they don't leave enough room between the light | > switch | > | and the keypad location causing a conflict. It is nothing more than | > lazyness | > | because they don't want to build out the stud if it is mounted next to the | > | light switch. If they mount it above, there is no consistancy because | > there | > | is no code or standard for height unless it is to be ADA compliant. | > Either | > | that or they are so far off, any type of alignment, that it looks like | > | schmitt. | > | >

| > | >

| > | >

| > | > -- | > | >

| > | > -Graham | > | > (remove the double e's to email) | > | | > | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.