Question about Napco 8-zone expander

The manual says to use EOL resistors "even if the zone is not used." Are they suggesting to simply short the zone with an EOL resistor even though I'm not going to use that zone and not going to program it into the panel? I thought I'd just leave the zone open and the panel wouldn't care. Thoughts?

Reply to
Total nerd
Loading thread data ...

Not much to think about...if the manual says it needs an EOL even if the zone is not used...then you need to put an EOL there.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I know some panels (dunno abt Napco as I'm not partial to them) if you program the zone out and don't put a eol on when you remotely view status of the panel/zone it will show as open or trbl...which confuses the hell outta me, so I always put eols on unused zones.

| >

| >

| | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I imagine depending on the panel if you take that zone out of each partition it wouldn't matter

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Yes, it is required to use EOLRs on that module for unused zones and all zones, for that matter, unless you reconfigure the zones in PCD software. If you configure them as "No EOL required" then you can simply use a jumper across the unused zones. I do not beleive that this programing option can be done from the keypad.

Regards

Crash Gord> I know some panels (dunno abt Napco as I'm not partial to them) if you

Reply to
jewellfish

It can be done from address programming. Not from quick mene programming though.

You can program to not hsow in any partitions, but as Crash said it still shows when viewing remotely or via laptop and cna be confusing.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Supposedly with the PCL (I think that's it) adaptor. The one with the two little power leads, but I never tried. 800s are so easy to program that it isn't needed. I can program an 800 or 801 at the keypad faster than I could conenct the adaptor an dturn on the laptop. I suppose if you were installing alpha keypads laptop programming might help a little.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Well, as it turns out, I didn't put any EOL resistors on any unused zone, I just told the panel that the zone was not in use and it's fine. In fact, it would be the same as opening a NC circuit, so the zone just shows as "Open." Which is fine since it's not part of the protected area anyway.

Reply to
Total nerd

Bob,

Can you program the P800 from a laptop without using the external Napco Modem???

Russ

Reply to
Russell Brill

Thanks for the info......... Russ

Reply to
Russell Brill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.