Pull Station Height

This is a question for Nick to help keep his brain functions working.

NFPA 72 says that the pull station should be mounted at 42-54" AFF

ADA says that the pull station should be mounted at 48" AFF

PA Title 34 Part 1 says between 36" and 44" AFF

So what does ANSI A117.1-2003 say???

I can't seem to find an exact reference to this listing.

Nick can you quote the section on this item???

Thanks in advance.

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1
Loading thread data ...

Hello all,

Well I was hoping that Nick was still on line but it seems that he is not. So does anyone else have an answer to the question below?? It never ceases to amaze me that for every rule there seems to be a different opinion.

TIA Les ============================================

This is a question for Nick to help keep his brain functions working.

NFPA 72 says that the pull station should be mounted at 42-54" AFF

ADA says that the pull station should be mounted at 48" AFF

PA Title 34 Part 1 says between 36" and 44" AFF

So what does ICC ANSI A117.1-2003 say???

I can't seem to find an exact reference to this listing.

Nick can you quote the section on this item???

Thanks in advance.

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1

Ask the AHJ...we did an OSCO's drug store a few years ago all the pulls were at 44 fff and the fhar marshall made us move them down...seemed ridiculous to me since they could easily be blocked from view, besides looking dumb.

Sometimes this ADA stuff is really dumb...there's a Home Depot nearby that has 22 freekin' handicapped parking spaces...22?!! Do that many handicapped folks really drive to Home Depot with their 'Vettes to pickup 2 tons of concrete??? I ask you!

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Crash, thanks for the response.

That is just it the AHJ is specify ICC ANSI A117.1-2003 as the Bible for the pull station mounting height. So I have been searching and the best I can find (15 minutes ago) is a discussion group statement of 15" to 48" for all devices.

So I could go and ask verbally the question of the AHJ but I would like to read it for myself first. The AHJ seems to want to specify in writing the paragraph with chapter and verse but simply does not give the body of text.

Any references to the ANSI A117.1-2003 would be helpful.

Thanks.

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1

I did a google search and only reference i could find was to use current NFPA guide line for placement of devices.

(my rule of thumb is to carry a copy of NFPA 72 and the states BC, when asked by anyone AHJ's or Inspectors I reference the book , If thats not good enough for them then I request they supply the readable reference book. Never had a problem after that)

RTS

Reply to
RockyTSquirrel

A commercial client of ours in CT was a private sports club. They had indoor and outdoor tennis courts, swimming pools and lots of other good stuff. One day they were notified by an attorney representing a handicapped person in the town who never even inquired about membership that they intended to file an ADA suit against the club because there was no wheelchair access to the second floor hand-ball court.

I might understand if the complainant was a member or had at least considered membership that he might want to have access to the entire facility. However, the handball courts had no spectator seating. I believe that handicapped people should enjoy all of the opportunities that more fortunate folks do but handball? I figured the complainant just wanted to hold them up. Sure enough, before it came to court the attorney offered to settle for some outrageous amount and drop the action entirely. The club owner smelled a rat so he said, "No let's go to court." He lost. :(

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I once considered spilling hot coffee on my lap............................ but then I remembered that I have not had a cup of coffee for over 30 years and decided I might just muck it up............

Reply to
ABLE_1

ADA says very little about alarm systems. The entire subject of fire alarms is covered under ADA section 4.28 and a few appendix notes. Mostly it talks about audible and visible notification appliance requirements. There is a height requirement for alarms in elevator cars and some inspectors seem to take that as being the requirement for pull stations as well. There are references to NFPA72, to which ADA seems to accept as the standard for most everything else.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Oops! I meant to include the following:

Pull stations need to have unobstructed floor space for wheelchairs. They must be installed at least 15" and not more than 48" above the finished floor for forward access. If access is to the side, the requirement is not lower than 9" nor higher than 54" above the floor.

The earlier post referenced the ADAAG (Guideline) which doesn't cover all the details. Sorry for the confusion.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

One of the reasons that McD lost that suit was they decided to *continue* making the coffee very hot for marketing reasons (i.e., people like it that hot) even after being notified that the woman had scalded herself. The courts like to see some sign of corporate contrition when somebody gets hurt, regardless if it's entirely the victim's fault.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I wonder what an inspector would do if some tech mounted the pull station at

15" AFF???
Reply to
ABLE_1

the question was ANSI requirement. none of that blather has anything to do with answering the question. geez what a putz.

Reply to
Nym

Actually it does.

I have come to learn that ANSI is exactly the same as ADA. Which is what I needed to know.

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1

where does it say that is bAss post?

Reply to
Nym

There must be a loose connection. Your last transmission was garbled. Must be a lot of static on the line. Say what???

Try typing s l o w l y and c l e a r l y and then re-read your post.

Seems that we all miss a word(s) now and then.

I don't know why I am explaining this since you all ready knew that, right??

Reply to
ABLE_1

Here's what ya doo....install one starting at 15", then another at 12" abv that...and so on up to 54" or so....or maybe on Greenfield and move it wherever they want on inspection day.

Ya know I always hated when the AHJ would never give a definitive answer BEFORE the job, but on inspection day suddenly they know exactly where THEY want it.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Mount it on a track so the height is adjustable to where-ever the inspector of the day thinks it should be. :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

This guy gets around. It wouldn't be the same guy and attorney that has been making the news about the same type of legal action lately here in Florida now would it? Your story sounds like it might be. If it is him, he has been at it for what....10 err 12 err 15 years now. :o]

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Well, yes. You certainly are, Cracker. However, you're wrong (as usual). The ANSI standard looks to ADA and NFPA72. It does not create any additional requirements. If you'd take your head out of that dark anatomical tunnel of yours long enough to learn the trade instead of auto-posting moronic attacks perhaps you'd know that.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

TTBOMK there are lawyers doing the same thing all over the country. It's legalized theft.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.