Printing Old School vs New School

Ok, this is more of a hmmmmmm moment that actually have a absolute gotta do it, I am up against the wall need. So please humor me a bit.

If I a (x) panel that had a parallel printer module available and wanted to actually connect a parallel printer to get a history report printed out on site. AND as I am sure most of you guys know, finding a parallel printer these day is for sure gonna be a used, maybe it work work, eBay purchase if you are lucky.

Soooooooooo is there an adapter that will work between the panel printer module and a USB, Ethernet, Wireless type of printer??

And yes, there are USB to Parallel adapters but, that is to go from a USB port >>> TO >>> the older Parallel Printer. BUT, I doubt it will work in the opposite direction. Or will it??

Has anyone done this or attempted to do it??

Oh, Mfg. Tech Support says that they have not tested any or will they approve or sanction anything other than direct connection to a "Parallel Printer".

Thanks for any thoughts!!

Les

Reply to
ABLE1
Loading thread data ...

Ok, this is more of a hmmmmmm moment that actually have a absolute gotta do it, I am up against the wall need. So please humor me a bit.

If I a (x) panel that had a parallel printer module available and wanted to actually connect a parallel printer to get a history report printed out on site. AND as I am sure most of you guys know, finding a parallel printer these day is for sure gonna be a used, maybe it work work, eBay purchase if you are lucky.

Soooooooooo is there an adapter that will work between the panel printer module and a USB, Ethernet, Wireless type of printer??

And yes, there are USB to Parallel adapters but, that is to go from a USB port >>> TO >>> the older Parallel Printer. BUT, I doubt it will work in the opposite direction. Or will it??

Has anyone done this or attempted to do it??

Oh, Mfg. Tech Support says that they have not tested any or will they approve or sanction anything other than direct connection to a "Parallel Printer".

Thanks for any thoughts!!

Les

Les check with some old retailers who use to use the outboard credit card printers. best I remember they were thermal type parallel printers.. also some office machine repair shops.. unless you need some odd driver interface they should work..

RTS

Reply to
RTS

Yes that would be if I was to search for a actual printer. What I am wonder is IF there is a way to convert the signal FROM a "Parallel Printer [Centronics DB25 IEEE-1284] output >>> TO >>> a USB, Network(Ethernet), or going wild to a Wireless Printer.

I can find a old printer but I am curious if it is possible to use a new off the shelf with some kind of adapter that I don't know about......................... as yet.

Reply to
ABLE1

Hi Les,

Just Google Parallel port to ...... USB or .... Ethernet OR .... wireless adapter.

Or try ..... parallel port printer servers.

There's s__t load of all kinds of adapters available not more than $50.00

Reply to
Jim

Jim,

Yup, I already did that Google & eBay thing but, they are if you are trying to connect a computer USB port to an old printer that has a Centronics DB25 Parallel Printer connection. What I am investigating is the opposite.

Thanks!!

Reply to
ABLE1

Jim,

Yup, I already did that Google & eBay thing but, they are if you are trying to connect a computer USB port to an old printer that has a Centronics DB25 Parallel Printer connection. What I am investigating is the opposite.

Thanks!!

Try here Les

formatting link

been shopping from these guys for ages they come up with some really neat stuff from time to time..

RTS

Reply to
RTS

Thanks for the link. The one you reference as this in the description.

"With this cable, older version printers are still viable with the use of novel computer models"

I entered the following into their search. PARALLEL PRINTER TO USB

And what popped up was

formatting link

All of which are: USB TO PARALLEL PRINTER See the difference.

I will do a "Chat" tomorrow and see that they say. Maybe they have a secret.

Again thanks for the link.

Reply to
ABLE1

You should be looking for a capture program for your laptop to capture the printer output from the panel.

I'd say a parallel-to-serial adapter connected to the panel, a serial-to-usb adapter connecting that to your laptop, a capture program on your laptop.

I'm sure Blackbox or B&B Electronics can help with the adapters. Ask a ham operator about (packet) capture software.

Connect everything, tell the panel to dump to printer, let a human read it in the capture program on the laptop, print to paper from the laptop.

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

technomaNge

THANK YOU!! NOW that is what I am getting at!!! That makes some sense. So, is this a theory on your part or have you actually made this happen??

BTW if this were to ever happen it would be installed at customers site and connected to their PC for recording. Of course the PC would need to be running 24/7 unless there was a way to store it on a memory card or something.

Even if it is your theory it does have merit and may actually work.

Thanks for the hint.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

formatting link

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Or,

formatting link

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Oops. Bad link there sorry. Basically the guy had a stack of adaptors about a foot long plugged into each other until he has a USB device plugged into the final one. What was hysterical to me is he did just for S &G s. In the picture there were onboard USB ports right next to his parallel port.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Hi Bob,

This one has promise. Will have to read more in depth later. Not sure but may have to convert Dollars to Deutschmarks.

Thanks!!

Reply to
ABLE1

LOL would like to see that pic. Can you did it up again??

Reply to
ABLE1

formatting link

Doug

Reply to
doug

Excellent find!! Thanks Doug!!

That looks like the right thingie!!! That page gets bookmarked for sure!!

Kudo's

Reply to
ABLE1

if you're looking for parallel printers (or hayes 1200 baud modems) check out thrift stores. Our receivers require parallel printers for UL, so I keep a "stock" of them.

john

Reply to
John Sowden

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.