Please recommend a non-monitored system

hello,

I'm looking for a a system that will alert me if anyone tried to break into my home a night. There are only a few possible entrances to my home, I want put sensors on those doors and if they are tripped a loud siren will sound. I will install it myself.

Any other features would be a bonus, but that is my basic requirement.

Can anyone suggest a system? Thanks

Reply to
strangways
Loading thread data ...

There are lots of systems that will work for you, but the majority of regulars in this group are professional installers. Our knowledge of systems specifically intended for DIY installation will be limited. Even most professional systems would work for you.

I've run into plenty of people who do not want monitoring over the years, but why in particular are you looking for self install?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

2Gig.

Though I hesitate to say so after shameless plug they recently posted here.

Installation is quick and easy. Various door contacts and motions available and it's also compatible with Honeywell wireless.

Programming is menu driven and very intuitive.

Easiest all in one wireless system I've ever done.

If you do have any problems, tech support is quick to answer and they act like they really want to help.

It also does z-wave devices such as lights, thermostats and combination door locks.

For your application maybe a light to come on when it goes into alarm and the door locks are just cool. You can lock/unlock all your doors from the panel - I think that's pretty cool.

Use the Kwikset locks but be sure to follow the instructions. If you do, they go together quick and easy. To initially register them into the panel you will need them about 3 ft away, but after that the regular wireless range applies - Plus each z-wave device will repeat for other devices that may normally be out of range. For a normal residence it should not be an issue.

There are other brands - the Yale locks are more attractive but they are more complicated, the instructions omit important stuff and their tech support is horrible.

formatting link

formatting link

formatting link

Reply to
JoeRaisin

On Wednesday, January 14, 2015 at 8:55:59 AM UTC-8, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrot e:

nto my home a night.

those doors and if they are tripped a loud siren will sound. I will instal l it myself.

I was just going to post this picture, as it's the best representation of a non-monitored system...

formatting link

However, I'll try to be slightly more useful and also provide this link: ht tp://

formatting link
p.html

On the other hand, as has been mentioned by someone else on here already, t he people on this forum install real alarm systems. I personally wouldn't use the type of alarm in the Cdn Tire link, or any system I could buy from a store like Cdn Tire, Walmart, etc. Ever notice that these stores don't u se the alarm equipment they sell? They must get a good deal on parts and c ould get a staff member to install them in a day for practically nothing, b ut still no.

Bottom line is that if you want a system you can rely on: get a real system , get it professionally installed, and get it professionally monitored.

- Chris

Reply to
Chris

ote:

into my home a night.

on those doors and if they are tripped a loud siren will sound. I will inst all it myself.

a non-monitored system...

formatting link

formatting link

59p.html

the people on this forum install real alarm systems. I personally wouldn' t use the type of alarm in the Cdn Tire link, or any system I could buy fro m a store like Cdn Tire, Walmart, etc. Ever notice that these stores don't use the alarm equipment they sell? They must get a good deal on parts and could get a staff member to install them in a day for practically nothing, but still no.

em, get it professionally installed, and get it professionally monitored.

Your advice is spot on. DIY systems are next to worthless. These people ass ume simply calling a cell phone is sufficient 'response' to any alarm. Afte r 100's of alarms at the monitoring station, the reports show it's pretty o bvious that one number clearly doesn't cut it.

On the other hand, there are not many professional companies that will inst all a professional system without long term, overpriced contractual monitor ing options, so the shopper for this kind of system is really on his own.

Reply to
tourman

ak into my home a night.

s on those doors and if they are tripped a loud siren will sound. I will in stall it myself.

of a non-monitored system...

formatting link

:

formatting link

0159p.html

y, the people on this forum install real alarm systems. I personally would n't use the type of alarm in the Cdn Tire link, or any system I could buy f rom a store like Cdn Tire, Walmart, etc. Ever notice that these stores don 't use the alarm equipment they sell? They must get a good deal on parts a nd could get a staff member to install them in a day for practically nothin g, but still no.

stem, get it professionally installed, and get it professionally monitored.

ssume simply calling a cell phone is sufficient 'response' to any alarm. Af ter 100's of alarms at the monitoring station, the reports show it's pretty obvious that one number clearly doesn't cut it.

stall a professional system without long term, overpriced contractual monit oring options, so the shopper for this kind of system is really on his own.

It's totally amazing how the rest of the industry is so out of step with yo u.

Reply to
Jim

reak into my home a night.

ors on those doors and if they are tripped a loud siren will sound. I will install it myself.

n of a non-monitored system...

formatting link

nk:

formatting link

460159p.html

ady, the people on this forum install real alarm systems. I personally wou ldn't use the type of alarm in the Cdn Tire link, or any system I could buy from a store like Cdn Tire, Walmart, etc. Ever notice that these stores d on't use the alarm equipment they sell? They must get a good deal on parts and could get a staff member to install them in a day for practically noth ing, but still no.

system, get it professionally installed, and get it professionally monitore d.

assume simply calling a cell phone is sufficient 'response' to any alarm. After 100's of alarms at the monitoring station, the reports show it's pret ty obvious that one number clearly doesn't cut it.

install a professional system without long term, overpriced contractual mon itoring options, so the shopper for this kind of system is really on his ow n.

Times are a changing my man...in our neck of the woods, long term contracts are costing companies big money in losses to loads of other companies who only go month to month. Most smaller companies are now migrating that way.

Companies should earn a customers business; not arbitrarily demand it throu gh long term contracts. But we've been through this hoop before, and frankl y, I don't give a hoot what others do...all the more business for us. My so n now has the prime working part of the business and it's booming at twice the rate I was experiencing.

Interesting point though..ADT are now worried that with all the home automa tion features available with most alarms, which give clients such tremendou s control over their alarm, that clients will no longer wish their alarms m onitored. So rather than explain the perfectly legitimate reasons why they should continue to do so, they'll probably just go for even longer contract s. Which will mean even more takeovers for us.....Go ADT..I love companies that shoot themselves in the foot because they are unable or unwilling to s ee past the end of their noses

I just LOVE long term contracts.....

Reply to
tourman

ts are costing companies big money in losses to loads of other companies wh o only go month to month. Most smaller companies are now migrating that way .

ough long term contracts. But we've been through this hoop before, and fran kly, I don't give a hoot what others do...all the more business for us. My son now has the prime working part of the business and it's booming at twic e the rate I was experiencing.

mation features available with most alarms, which give clients such tremend ous control over their alarm, that clients will no longer wish their alarms monitored. So rather than explain the perfectly legitimate reasons why the y should continue to do so, they'll probably just go for even longer contra cts. Which will mean even more takeovers for us.....Go ADT..I love companie s that shoot themselves in the foot because they are unable or unwilling to see past the end of their noses

So will I, when I cash out. $46.00 on the dollar right now for 2 year or mo re contracts.

I'll guess that you'll be getting about $00.46 regardless of what people ar e telling you that they're willing to pay you now. When you get to the tabl e, is when you'll discover the cost of your foolishness. There's just no ge tting around it. Term contracts are what buyers look for in spite of what y ou have deluded yourself into thinking. Also, you'll probably not ever see it personally but your son will someday have to "pay the piper".

Reply to
Jim

acts are costing companies big money in losses to loads of other companies who only go month to month. Most smaller companies are now migrating that w ay.

hrough long term contracts. But we've been through this hoop before, and fr ankly, I don't give a hoot what others do...all the more business for us. M y son now has the prime working part of the business and it's booming at tw ice the rate I was experiencing.

tomation features available with most alarms, which give clients such treme ndous control over their alarm, that clients will no longer wish their alar ms monitored. So rather than explain the perfectly legitimate reasons why t hey should continue to do so, they'll probably just go for even longer cont racts. Which will mean even more takeovers for us.....Go ADT..I love compan ies that shoot themselves in the foot because they are unable or unwilling to see past the end of their noses

more contracts.

are telling you that they're willing to pay you now. When you get to the ta ble, is when you'll discover the cost of your foolishness. There's just no getting around it. Term contracts are what buyers look for in spite of what you have deluded yourself into thinking. Also, you'll probably not ever se e it personally but your son will someday have to "pay the piper".

That's crap. I have a standing offer of $28 for month to month term contrac ts. Doesn't matter a hoot since we'll be looking to sell...oh...some 40 ye ars from now. T

Reply to
tourman

You just described a monitored system. Unfortunately most alarm companies in the US install a system and have it monitored by a contract monitoring company for a small fee (read small service) and leave the maintenance and management to you.

I recommend a local Central Station Alarm Company who monitors the system themselves and maintains it.

John American Sentry Systems, Inc.

Reply to
johnr

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.