"paging system"

Got a cusotomer that used to have a paging system with talk back from 7 or 8 locations. They had replaced it with one that doesn't do talk back.:( Now they want the ability for someone in one of those locations to signal them that something is wrong and then they will go to see what the problem is. Quoted a a simple Aiphone intercom. Seemed the perfect solution. They don't want to spend that much. Any ideas out there for a panic button and buzzer/light alert type station? Don't really like the idea of not having

2 way comunication but I said I'd look into it. I didn't want to have to shade tree engineer one if I did'nt have to. TIA
Reply to
Don
Loading thread data ...

Ahhhh if you "Quoted a simple Aiphone intercom" and they didn't want to spend that much, how much did you price it at???? Either they are too cheap or you priced it to the moon. Sounds like you should either walk away or look at your pricing.

Two tin cans and a string would work for the very cheap. Then again you could use a wireless door bell from Lowes or Home Depot for $29.95, plus 1 hour labor to travel and pick up, and 5 minutes to install, another 5 minutes to instruct and your out the door. Service calls to replace the battery once a year minimum of a 2 hour service call. Seems very profitable to me. $$$$

But, be careful if they find out how simple it was they may have there secretary go a pick it up and install and you get nothing.

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1

Google "annunciator panel" or "annuciator". That's what they are called and you should be able to find something already built that will work for you.

You can also make one with simple relays and light bulbs, but that would require some minimal electrical knowledge and probably not look as spiffy as a commercial solution.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

lets just say less than 2, 7 stations 1 master in a very big 2 story commercial bldg. using Aiphones' wire cost a little more but gives you extra 1 year on the warranty.

The reason I quoted that was because I thought that would be the most cost effective solution. I could be wrong.

hmmmmm

till they actually have to do it and then maybe a different story.

Reply to
Don

good suggestion. lots of health care apps....... don't see how that will save much $ if rated for health care

yea, it would be pretty easy, but would prefer commercial solution.

Reply to
Don

First off, a "fixed panic button" may not be the best idea. This would require someone to have the ability to reach it if there is a problem. You might try a wireless panic button/receiver combo.

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

1 year on the warranty.

Aiphone no longer offers cable. Their supplier went belly up. Use any wire that meets the specs. For mid-cap (required by some of their systems) fire alarm cable intended for addressable loops will work but it's pricey.

should either walk away or look at your pricing.

effective solution. I could be wrong.

For what you get, especially in terms of system performance over time, it's hard to get a better deal than Aiphone. Their systems generally outlast everything else on the planet.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Less than $ 2K for that? I think you might have mis-quoted.

Look at NuTone, and Tektone for cheap.

see:

formatting link
for AOR type stuff.

Reply to
G. Morgan

too low?

good link

Reply to
Don

ahhh-- yeah!

Reply to
G. Morgan

I'll explain why...

You have 7 remotes and a master, so a minimum charge *just to run wire per drop* would be $100 x 7 = $700. Equipment cost is about $800 to $1400+ depending on what they get. So where is your profit? Only you know the details - but you described a large commercial bldg, so I figure 2 techs one day=16 man hours for the installation.

Reply to
G. Morgan

not much is there.

I have worked in the bldg and know it intimately... so I hoped I could knock it out in 1 day but I figured 2 to cya. Trying to help out a good customer.

Reply to
Don

What exactly is that Mr. Bass? No bullshit please, just answer the question.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Mid-capacitance cable. Aiphone specifies it for some of their systems.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I sell a lot of Aiphone systems. Their GF series video intercoms are excellent, extremely configurable and a snap to install. It uses 2-conductor, unshielded cable for audio and video. The spec calls for 32 pf/ft cable on certain runs. Others are ordinary

18/2 and 22/2.

I sold one to the owner of a four-unit apartment recently. Their electrician installed it. There are two audio/video monitors per apartment and a single door station with camera. Nice system. Very competitively priced compared to some of the other apartment entry systems out there.

BTW, check out their AN-8000 system. It runs over the customer's IP network (LAN or WAN). An industrial or educational campus can have 1280 stations in 80 "exchanges". The system can run across the Internet, connecting offices in multiple sites around the world. Pretty slick compared to Nutone, eh? :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Also, the MKS system requires 15.9 pf/ft capacitance cable. The stuff is hard to find at security suppliers but certain fire alarm cables meet the spec. Cf: Genesis Cable for more info.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I tried to help out a customer last month after the guard spilled coffee (or coke) inside the LEF-3. I figured only two hours to swap the unit (with drive time and a helper) so that's what I quoted and got a P.O. for that from the customer. Well there was a little change in the LEF-3 I hadn't counted on. The transformer changed quite a bit from the old LEF-3. The PS-12A was now the PS-1225UL. I ended up spending another 2 hours getting rid of the hum from the LE-Ds (running a ground wire & relocating some other customer owned equipment). Since I quoted 2 hours I had to bill for only two hours. So what ended up being about $450.00 should have been closer to $600.00. I'm sure the (big multi-national) customer needed that donation from our company to theirs. No good deed goes unpunished.

Reply to
Roland Moore

looks like I might save them a few bucks with something like this

formatting link
not many$.

Reply to
Don

Those sell at retail for about $465.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

slightly more than the aiphone lef10 master. the room stations say splashproof. I wonder how they'd hold up in a locker room or pool area?

Reply to
Don

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.