P1 - runaround?

Probably a DSC...but just guessing on that.

Tell P1 that you want them to default the master code/installer code, they can do this remotely but may charge you a few bucks. They should do this without a problem after you send them your 30 day cancellation letter before you move out - because they should deprogam the reporting portion of programming anyway. You definitely want to start the process BEFORE your phone line to the system is disconnected.

Reply to
Crash Gordon
Loading thread data ...

My condolences. :)

You assume correctly. Many installing dealers change the code from the manufacturer's default. I'm unfamiliar with Westar but the "5010" leads me to believe your panel is likely a DSC Power832, aka model PC5010. The default code is 5010 unless this is a proprietary version.

If you own the system (i.e., it's not a leased system) then you are legally entitled to have all access codes. What you do with that information is your business. The alarm company has no right to deny you access to your own hardware.

FYI, dishonest alarm companies will often use the above excuse or another favorite -- giving you the code to program your own system will expose them to liability -- to avoid giving you full access to the alarm which is your property.

Probably so.

You're getting the runaround. If you need the installation manual for the 5010 let me know and I'll send you one.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

All,

I currently have a house alarm being monitored by P1. I plan to sell the house and would like the Master Code (I am alarm system illiterate so I hope that is correct) to give to the new owner in case they are DIY type and want to change the access codes themselves or don't want monitoring.

P1 is telling me that they can not give me the code because the same code is used by the manufacturer for all their alarm systems. Seems to me that this code is something that would be programmed at installation.

I don't know the manufacturer of the system. It is labeled WSS5010 and was installed by Westar about 5 years ago. I assume that is just the nomenclature Westar gives it though.

Am I getting the runaround or are they being up front?

TIA

mac

Reply to
mac

Remind me to tell you about my nightmare day today with the V15PMT...the guy turned out to be a crackpot.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

You guessed correctly, it's a modified PC5010 v1, only sends SIA and has a

6-digit installer code
Reply to
Mark Leuck

Gents,

Thanks all for the replies. P1 was still very resistant to defaulting the code but, after about an hour of arguing, they agreed. Had I not been armed with information from this group and some reading, I would never have persisted.

You can bet I'll never have another monitored system. At least not w/P1. They act more like a protection racket than security monitoring company.

Thanks again.

mac

Reply to
mac

dflatimer had written this in response to

formatting link
: I just called P1 and got the same load from them. I really dont want to replace the motherboard but i may have no choice. I have a WSS5010 that came with my house that i just purchased. I own the system, but i cannot change anything on it since i have none of the codes. I called P1, and offered to pay a service fee to have them come out and remove their codes, but they refused. Where should i go from here?

DL

------------------------------------- Robert L Bass wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via

formatting link
Internet Knowledge Base for the security industry no-spam access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.security.alarms - 44951 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
dflatimer

buy a new board

Reply to
Crash Gordon
1st off. P1 has no obligation directly to you. They are more than willing to put you on contract with them, and that is all they care about. That is the business they are in. If you plan to go under contract with "somebody" they may be willing to exchange the board for you in exchange for a long enough duration contract to offset the cost of the board and the technician labor.

Most boards cost the dealer about the same as the labor to change it.

formatting link
> :

Reply to
I R AN IDIOT

more than willing

Jeeeeeze

The original post was from 2005!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone figure out why this is happening ..... all of a sudden?

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.