OT: Theory of Reciprocity

In the previous thread I wrote about "our Theory of Reciprocity."

Thinking that I had coined an original phrase I Googled "Theory of Reciprocity" just to see how quickly search engine robots would pick up on this phrase, and got several hits. The hits were not from this forum however; they were from serious writings on the subject by academia, Congress, and the Courts.

This reminded me of a Google exercise I ran several years ago. I had volunteered to chair the Bylaws Committee of our local Chamber of Commerce. We tossed out a three page 30-year old set of Bylaws, and wrote from scratch a 20-page document that is still in place today.

The point of interest here is that a year after we adopted the new Bylaws, and posted it on our Chamber web site, I Googled some phrases from the document, and lo and behold I received several hits from Chambers of Commerce in other parts of the country. Some Chambers had actually copied entire paragraphs.

I chuckled at this, reminding myself that "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

I find Google a great tool, and use it several times a week, looking for descriptions/prices of alarm equipment, manuals, etc.

Reply to
chasbo
Loading thread data ...

Interesting when I see the term "theory", what comes next. Consistency is such a high achievement; most of us simply cannot at the time understand how much simpler our lives would be; and while we can see a National Highway System function: we have no desire to fully understand it's affects. We learn consistency at our infancy from our Parents, and then drift further and further away from it in our adult lives. What our Constitution gives us; the States take away. Imitation is the easy way out; a true consistency would make it all worth while. Imitation discredits the truth; by leaving it behind, for it's future survival. It only helps Chaos in its cause. Theory is just not good enough; it never made the things that truly work, better. No one remembers great thinkers that have not applied their thoughts.

Reply to
jackcsg

ime understand how much simpler our lives would be; and while we can see a = National Highway System function: we have no desire to fully understand it'= s affects.

her and further away from it in our adult lives.

However, what would have ever been accomplished without someone first having a theory of how something "might" work or play out? Being able to theorize (anticipate/project/ imagine) is a unique attribute of humans. Can you imagine what it would be like if we didn't have that talent?

Reply to
Jim

understand how much simpler our lives would be; and while we can see a National Highway System function: we have no desire to fully understand it's affects.

and further away from it in our adult lives.

We'd be fighting for bananas instead of oil, most likely. Wouldn't have brought our world to the brink of nuclear annihilation. And you'd have a harem of perfect pairs. Imagine that! :-)

Reply to
Frank Kurz

e time understand how much simpler our lives would be; and while we can see= a National Highway System function: we have no desire to fully understand = it's affects.

urther and further away from it in our adult lives.

Perfect pairs???? ya mean two little brown tabs covered with hair?

Jeeeez ... your standards are a lot lower than mine.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.