OT: The Last Hold Out

From Larry Wall on the listing of TBBS sysops. Looks like he held out until 2001. 21 years.

Yuma, AZ CACTUS PATCH, The Cactus Patch TBBS (1980-2001) Larry Wall TBBS MultiLine "This BBS originally started out with software written by myself on a TRS-80 Model I at 110-300 baud. The 1st commercial BBS software used was the InfoEx-80 Software, Then we put the Greene Machine online. Finally after looking over the TBBS software and its abilities in 1984 we went to the TBBS software because of its lightening speed. Our TRS-80 Model III at the time started to fail. We then switched to the TBBS-PC software and became a beta test site for the TBBS software. Sometime in

1986 we started testing the MultiLine TBBS software. This labor of love lasted until the great interest of the InterNet struck. People had a hard time supporting the local hobbiest BBS' but they surely had no problem migrating to the InterNet. Finally, after a thunderstorm came through the area, the CPTBBS' computer would not come back up. With no support, after 21yrs, September of 2001 the Cactus Patch TBBS surrendered its telephone lines. There were a great number of super BBS Sysops around the country. In 1988 Phil Becker had the 1st TUG (TBBS User's Group) converge on a motel in the Denver area. It was a power charged meeting of very knowledgable people..." - Larry Wall CPTBBS - Sysop -RET
Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

If you want to take a ride down memory lane, fire up a telnet client and have at it!

formatting link

Reply to
G. Morgan

I used the Moose and Ademco BBS back in 80's when dial up was only thing available in my area and it worked well. then DSL and cable came in and wow. Miss the old DOS days

Reply to
nick markowitz

I don't, command line computing sucked

Reply to
mleuck

Yeah, I'm looking at my 3 inch thick, PC magazine, Dos Powertools manual that's been gathering dust on my book shelf for the past 20 years.

I'm saving it for use in the event I survive the nuclear apocalypse.

I keep practicing my Morse code too.

Hey ...... anyone into interpreting smoke signals? I see a big smoke ring on the horizon. Anyone know what that means?

Reply to
Jim

Tom's just lit up another Rum Dipped Havana.

Reply to
Frank Kurz

I use the command line all the time. Some things are much easier that way.

Reply to
G. Morgan

C:\> Start

C:\> Start

C:\> Please Start

C:\> Pretty Please Start

C:\> Start you f***ing son-of-a-b****, piece of s***!

Nope... Command line doesn't work for Windows 7.

Reply to
Frank Kurz

Nothing like putting a cookie monster command line emulator on a few computers in the college PC lab. LOL.

A:\> DIR NO!

A:\> DIR Why?

A:\> DIR *.* I know what DIR means you moron.

A:\> command.com Yeah, Bite Me!

A:\> EXIT Give me a cookie.

A:\> cookie Ok, you can have your computer back. You should have just offered me a cookie. I should not have had to ask you selfish pig.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

RnJhbmsgS3VyeiA8dGVjaEBmaXJldGVjaHMubmV0PiB3cm90ZToNCg0KwrtPbiAxMS8wNC8yMDEx IDEwOjUwIFBNLCBHLiBNb3JnYW4gd3JvdGU6DQrCuz4gbWxldWNrPG0ubGV1Y2tAdHgucnIuY29t PiAgd3JvdGU6DQrCuz4NCsK7Pj4gSSBkb24ndCwgY29tbWFuZCBsaW5lIGNvbXB1dGluZyBzdWNr ZWQNCsK7Pg0Kwrs+IEkgdXNlIHRoZSBjb21tYW5kIGxpbmUgYWxsIHRoZSB0aW1lLiAgU29tZSB0 aGluZ3MgYXJlIG11Y2ggZWFzaWVyIHRoYXQgd2F5Lg0Kwrs+DQrCuw0KwrsNCsK7QzpcPiBTdGFy dA0KwrsNCsK7QzpcPiBTdGFydA0KwrsNCsK7QzpcPiBQbGVhc2UgU3RhcnQNCsK7DQrCu0M6XD4g UHJldHR5IFBsZWFzZSBTdGFydA0KwrsNCsK7QzpcPiBTdGFydCB5b3UgZioqKmluZyBzb24tb2Yt YS1iKioqKiwgcGllY2Ugb2YgcyoqKiENCsK7DQrCuw0KwrsNCsK7Tm9wZS4uLiAgQ29tbWFuZCBs aW5lIGRvZXNuJ3Qgd29yayBmb3IgV2luZG93cyA3Lg0KDQoNCkxPTC4uLi4NCg0K

Reply to
G. Morgan

What's Windows 7?

Reply to
Jim

Close all the windows. Get off the bus. Get back on the bus. It should start now.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

In Jim's case, it's close all the windows. Get off the boat. Get back on the boat. And it STILL WON'T START! :-)

Reply to
Frank Kurz

I don't know what you mean by "starting the boat" ... All I do is put the big long pole in the water and push.

Reply to
Jim

Is that anything like a keypad bus?

Reply to
Jim

Its an old joke.

When the bus won't start. Electrical engineers will check the ignition. Mechanical engineers will tear down the engine. Microsoft engineers will close all the windows and get off the bus.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.