OT: Telus is dropping their news server.

I haven't had access to the group for about fifteen days now. This morning I get a message that states that Telus is dropping their service from October 1. Some more notification would have been nice!

Reply to
Frank Kurz
Loading thread data ...

I use Teranews.com

Jim Rojas Technical Manuals Online!

formatting link
Cornwall Lane Tampa, FL 33615-4604

813-884-6335
Reply to
Jim Rojas

You can get to this group thru Google news groups as well

Reply to
nick markowitz

Yes, but I like to use my mail program to respond to emails as well as usenet.

formatting link

813-884-6335
Reply to
Jim Rojas

I tried Google groups. Royal pain. I'll try Giganews for a couple of months and see how that goes.

Reply to
Frank Kurz

I use Google. It's kinda messy at first, trying to find this group, but once I did, I just bookmarked the sign-in page and now it just takes a couple of second to sign on. They don't require any personal info and I can keep a low profile and this is all I use it for anyway. Works for me.

Reply to
Jim

I prefer using a news reader. I happen to like using Thunderbird.

On a side note... I figure as an official "beta tester" for Microsoft

2010 Office, I'd receive a "thank you" in the form of either a free upgrade to the full version or a deeply discounted price to do so. MS isn't even offering an "upgrade" version (except to those individuals that bought Office 2007 as part of a new computer purchase - and then you have to activate it in a very narrow "window"). That just plain sucks. I use Professional because I write a lot of Access apps. Would have been nice to upgrade to 2010. Glad I saved everything I did as a "2007" file.

Rant mode "off".

Reply to
Frank Kurz

RHC: Frank, why bother spending any money on new versions of Office (rhetorically speaking....I'm sure you have your reasons). I'm still using an old copy of Office 2000 that does everything I could want to do with this program. I get severely pissed with programs such as Quick Books where they keep trying to get you to upgrade to get some minor upgrade I wouldn't use anyway.

Until recently, I was still using Quick Books 2000 but did decide to buy the latest version (2010). That one should keep me going for the next decade at least.....:))

Reply to
tourman

Problem is, ( and I feel the same as you) the operating systems change and when you buy a new computer, the old applications are not compatable with the new operating system. I use Word Perfect, word processor and have for about 20 or more years ( before it was even called Word Perfect) I Never use Word in spite of the fact that they stole most of their functions from WP. This computer I have now will be the last one that I can use my old version on. I'll have to get a new version of WP for my next computer. And .... I don't even know if I'll be able to convert all of my old saved files to the new WP format. I'm having some trouble with this computer converting some old files.

Reply to
Jim

RHC: Yeah, that is the price of progress I guess. I too have to keep a couple of old computers around in order to dial in with DOS level software for some of my older panels. Then there is the problem of 64 bit machines versus the older 32 bit computers, but I have been able to solve most of those problems using Virtual Machine. This lets you load another operating system software (even 32 bit Win XP) on a Win 7 X64 bit machine) inside the modern operating system.. Its a free download and worth taking a look at ....it might solve some of your problems

Reply to
tourman

I'll keep that in mind. I think I have something like that on my present computer but I'm still using XP. I had a choice when I bought this computer to have XP or Win 7. I had my computer guy transfer all my files from my old computer to this one. I'm sure to have him do the next one too. Even so, I'm dealing with an old version of WP from my OLD old computer which I transfered to my last computer, then to this one. Some of those old, old files just wont open up for some reason. That State Department document on gun control that I posted recently was one of those documents. I couldn't open it and that's why I had to relocate the document on the Internet. They can't make stuff backward compatable forever.

Reply to
Jim

The wife has used Word Perfect since the 5.1 and DOS days. I just loaded WP X-4 on her new computer. She's not having any problems opening the older files. Quattro Pro and Presentations are both far superior to Excel and Powerpoint.

Reply to
Frank Kurz

Back in the DOS days it used to be called something else but I forget what it was.

Reply to
Jim

According to Wiki, it's always been WordPerfect. For a couple of years before we found 5.1, we were using WordStar. Ahhh... The good old days!

Reply to
Frank Kurz

Anyone remember using PFS: File & PFS: Write?

Those were the days...

formatting link

813-884-6335
Reply to
Jim Rojas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.