OT: Superior Vena Cava Syndrome

A few of the folks in ASA have offered me prayer support in my battle with cancer. I guess I need to ask you for that help now.

Earlier this evening, while everything seemed normal (well, "normal" for me is something very different from most), I began to feel a new sensation. All of a sudden I started to develop some strange, inflated lumps on both sides of my jaw and other places. Edema set in very quickly. When this happened in the past it was gradual. This time it was as if someone had pushed a tube into my upper chest and face and was just pumping fluid into me.

I called the hospice and they sent a nurse over quickly. After a brief exam, she called the doctor and got the answer. I have Superior Vena Cava Syndrome, a dangerous side effect of the cancer.

One of the tumors in my chest is pressing against the wall of the main blood vessel from the head and upper body to the heart. I need radiation right away. Without it, according to WebMD, "patients with superior vena cava syndrome due to a malignant cause survive only 30 days without radiation."

The strange thing about this is I wasn't feeling anything out of the norm and I still don't have even minor discomfort. Yet this thing was rapidly building up in my chest. I took some additional Rx while the nurse was here and it seems to have helped a bit but the swelling is still significant. It's a little nerve-wracking, to say the least. I'd really appreciate it if you guys will pray.

Thanks, Robert

Reply to
Robert L Bass
Loading thread data ...

Prayers, coming up.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Hey I think you haven't made up with Jack Stevens yet, better hurry

Reply to
mleuck

RHC: Know that you are in our prayers my friend. Its surprising how a cancer diagnosis brings into sharp focus what is really important in life. It gives you a strength you never know you had and provides a clarity of vision to know what is merely window dressing, and doesn't matter a bit.

Those who wont or cant "forgive" silly and inconsequential newsgroup "transgressions" are of no importance to you. You have made peace with those people in your life that count, and that is the only thing that matters......

Please keep us in the loop and God bless....

Reply to
tourman

It never seems to end Bob I had to go back in for surgery my self from the bowel resection hope allgoes well with the radiation i still have side effects from it

Reply to
nick markowitz

You got it.

Hang in there man.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Thanks for the reminder. I like to do things in my own way and on my own time though. I'm praying for you every day, Mark.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Thanks, Graham and all the rest. I appreciate it. The nurse came back today with more "candy" to keep me until tomorrow. I'll be talking to the doctor tomorrow to schedule the radiation.

I've been told by friends from a cancer forum that this condition isn't as rare as I first thought and that radiation, if given promptly, will fix it.

Regards, Robert

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Graham, Frank, Tom, Nick & friends:

Suddenly much worse. Nurse from Tidewell Hospice House here now. Will be admitted to hospice tonight. Might not make it. Please pray. Robert

Reply to
Robert L Bass

praying for you bro.

Reply to
Bob

You have my prayers as well, hang in there.

James

Reply to
James B

You are too kind ;-) he could have forgotten..

Reply to
Petem

You're going to make it buddy. Please don't give up.

I'm sending some extra prayers as soon as hit 'send'.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Just curious but if you believe prayers help who gave him the cancer in the first place?

Reply to
mleuck

To answer your question, I don't know. But a simple prayer certainly can't hurt.

For a human being to understand how God operates, would be akin to an ant understanding how the Internet operates.

I know Frank prayed for me when I needed it, and things turned around for me. I called him (Frank) asking for a prayer, and soon I was able to make a decision to get help for my drinking. I'm not sure how much it helped, but it made a difference to me knowing someone with strong faith was calling God on my behalf.

I'm more of a spiritual type, not so much religious. I see the beauty of nature and the order of life and came to the conclusion that a Higher Power must have made all this possible. It also astounds me how much of nature can be quantified with mathematic patterns. It's just too perfect to be an accident. To me, the Universe seems to be the creation of Intelligent Design. I just don't believe we're here by accident or coincidence.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I bet if Frank never knew who you were things would have turned around anyway

Reply to
mleuck

Not necessarily, consider scientifically the placebo effect.

Reply to
G. Morgan

There is more than just a placebo effect to praying, chanting or any other form of active meditation. This is not a religious thing. I am far from that but based on many reports of mystical "cures". These are only mystical cures in the eyes of the chem/cut medical field as they cannot explain it, yet.

Somewhere in your mind it knows how to cure it's own body.

"Doug" wrote:

Reply to
Josepi

That's true. I remember hearing about a medical experiment in the 70's that dealt with children with leukemia.

Half of the kids were told to think about little-bitty "Luke Skywalkers" (remember this was in the 70's) waving around his light-saber inside their body, killing the cancerous cells with his weapon. It turned out that the kids who were told to visualize that scenario improved their condition dramatically. The control group did not do as well.

I don't have a citation for that experiment, it was something told to me (don't even remember who). But I may try to find it and read more about it.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Jeez you are such a downer sometimes, I miss the old asshole Tom

Actually I can't say I have

I don't recall wishing death on anyone, I do have a problem with someone throwing out his entire health prognosis here every night, all he wants is pity and it's a little late for that

Say has anyone checked the Sarasota Obituaries lately? Just curious

Reply to
mleuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.