OT NVR PC Re-Start

Hey guys,

I have a PC installed at customers site doing the NVR thing. Has a UPS for surge protection and a little power backup. The problem comes it that the customer does not monitor the system very often and there seems to be many power outages. Of course when the power does go out and the back up drains out the PC shuts down. With out the human intervention of pushing the start button the system does not restart.

Now that you got a grip of the problem, has anyone know of quick and/or slick way to start a PC without the human finger??

Oh, and I know training the customer to visit the PC more frequently would be a start, but that is a much bigger challenge.

Thanks for any input.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1
Loading thread data ...

Most PC's have a setting in the BIOS to restart after a power failure.

Doug

Reply to
doug

Hi,

Depending on the operating system installed in the customer's computer, there is also a way to restart the operating system and DVR program to boot up completely. You can consult Microsoft's website for specific instructions. It is kind of like when you clone a drive, the program restarts the computer by itself. This way it gives you the ability to input all the passwords that may be needed for your customer's computer.

Actually, it's really high time that the customer buys a real power backup. We use APC's with huge add-on battery packs that provide at least 2 hours of backup for 40 some cams + the computer. They are about $400-$600. What's the point of having a camera system that is vulnerable to thieves pulling the power meter out if you don't have the proper backup power.

Hope this helps you.

Reply to
E DAWSON

The BIOS point is something to investigate. Never noticed that in the BIOS in the past but then I was not looking for it. Now I will look. The UPS is a APC. It was not intended to be a long term back up. Mainly surge protection. At the time of install I did not know that they had multiple power outages. Now that I now, things are going to change.

Thanks for the BIOS thought.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

There may be a setting in the bios to start on power up. I know atleast one of my computers has that option. You also need to configure the UPS for proper power down settings on power failure. I have not really looked into this, but the two may be mutually incompatible. Alternatively, you could add a latching relay box to a backed up outlet on the UPS that must be manually reset to stop the buzzing on power up to remind the customer to restart the NVR. Maybe use a recordable greeting card module so that it plays your voice reminding them to restart the NVR prior to resetting the alert message.

Sounds like you have one of those customers who refuses to be responsible for themselves. I bet when you have told them they need to do something or asked them a question they even said, "That's what we pay you for."

Suggested alert message, "Hey moron. You don't pay me enough to sit here

24/7 and restart the NVR for you so get off your ass, start it up, and then press the reset button on this warning module... Ah! Ah! Ah! No, poop for brains. I said restart the NVR FIRST!"
Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.