OT Motor Salvage 3 Phase 6 Wire

I have a Leland 6273 3 phase 240 V motor I am trying to figure out how to hook up.

It has 6 black wires coming out of the motor.

It also has 2 much smaller brown wires coming out that were just tied out of the way to the lifting ring. I suspect those were for a tach or possible a heat sensor.

It just has paper labels on the black wires, and they look like they were put on by somebody who tried to figure out the motor in the past. They do not match up with any of the three phase wiring numbers/ letters standards I've been able to find. I want to hook it to a VFD for testing. Since the data plate says it will operate from 6-130 HZ and lists a range of RPM from

96 to 3680 that tells me was probably intended to operate off of VFD in the first place.

Is there any practical way using a meter to determine which wires to pair up to connect to 3 connections on the VFD?

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

You have a 3 phase Delta wound motor typically see it on foreign equipment most USA motors are Y wound and have 9 leads depending how you wire it it works on 230 or 480 vac etc. leads should be T1 thru T6 yes you can ring out the coils I had some paper work that gave instruction will see if i can find it for you the 2 wires coming out back might be for stepper control or a overload or remote switch application can you send me picture.

Reply to
nick markowitz

I don't know much ( if anything ) about 3 phase but I Googled " how to determine connections to 3 phase motor" and got:

There were others but these seemed to possibly answer your question.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

formatting link

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

formatting link
From this site I got:

The simplest method is : Assuming you know the end groupings

Using a multimeter ring out the six leads on the Ohms scale (ie you will end up with 3 leads in each hand) Then call the leads in your left hand A1 B1 C1 and the other ends for each winding in your right hand A2 B2 C2. I remember this part buy calling a CAB.

Connect A1 to C2, B1 to A2, C1 to B2, Or A1 B1 c1

to

C2 A2 B2

Six black leads "OUCH" bit harder

Ring out one winding. Attach a 9V battery to the ends. NOTE the polarity of the battery. Using an analog meter ring out the other 2 windings, the meter deflection should be positive if not switch meter leads over. Now lable the 2 leads you have rung out with the red or positive meter lead A1 and B1. Now connect the battery to the A1 and negative to A2 Then put your meter across the winding the battery WAS connected to and check for positive deflection of the meter. Then all you do is switch ends on the last winding so the wire that was connected to the the negative of the battery is now C1 So now we know which group is the begining and end of each winding withouth running the risk of getting the ends mixed up. Then connect as in the first method.

I hope this is clear enough Cheers

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Reply to
Jim

This motor was probably manufactured in the lat 1970s or early 1980s. Leland seems to have been based out of Ohio, I called the last known number I could find for them and got GE Aviation.

Just for the heck of it I check the impedance between the main 6 leads. I get about 20 ohms between any two of three wires and 2 ohms between any 2 of the other three.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

formatting link

Yeah, I know I have a couple broken blades on the cooling fan. There was a dent in the top motor cover. I have already done the CAD and layout to cut a new fan if I have to on the smaller machine. Probably cut a hub, cut blades separately, and then weld them into slots on the hub.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Somebody in another group said they thought it sounded like a 2 speed motor. The said 96 RPM at 6 hz (lowest speed and frequency on the data plate) sound like a 4 pole winding and 3680 at 130 sounded like 2 pole. Wadda you think?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

My mistake. It say 3/130 hz, not 6/130.

The Data Plate Reads:

Leland Electrosystems Inc Model 6273 Serial TX43042 FR 215 HP 5 HZ 3/130 C Temp rise Cont. NO.71 RPM 96-3680 Class H insulation

I'm beginning to think this may likely be a synchronous motor with a start and a run winding. The low frequency and low RPM throws me though.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

You remind me of my Dad. He was a pack rat too. :-)

Reply to
Frank Kurz

I do go through and throw shit away periodically. This particular motor will be used on a Hurco CNC mill if its good and I can figure it out. (The motor not the mill) I already manufacture some parts on smaller CNC mills. Mills that I have gotten way more work out of than they were ever intended to produce. One of the first things this mill will get used for is to make parts for some intermediate size specialty machines. Well... if I ever get it retrofit to a modern control system, working and tested. Actually, the first thing it will probably get used for is to make servo motor mounts for my lathe to convert it to CNC. It would sure be nice to be able to turn threads in hard material without standing over the lathe constantly.

None of this has to do with alarms, but I figured somebody here was a motor wizard.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Ok... I got it figured out. Mostly... Its got an independent fan motor. Doh! Had I been a bit more observant I would have seen that myself, but somebody in another group pointed out the possibility, and commented on the probability because a motor turning only 96 RPM at 3 Hz can't possibly be turning a fan fast enough to cool itself.

It was easy enough to check. I spun the fan and held the brake disc on the motor with my other hand. Wheeeeeeee!!!

It has six primary leads because there are two motors.

I suspect the 2 smallish brown wires are a thermal sensor. Not sure I can test it except maybe... to wire up the motor and not the fan motor. LOL.

Life just got easier... if the motor works now.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.