OT: Interesting article on the healthcare bill

I was looking for the current online copy of the bill and came across the following article. The website belongs to the Center for American Progress, a decidedly liberal think tank so the writer is pro-reform. Nonetheless, the matter is discussed with an ear open to the right as well as the left. Any thinking person, regardless of political bent, should give this one a read.

formatting link

Reply to
Robert L Bass
Loading thread data ...

Government and cost containment are incompatible, only a fool thinks this will save anyone money. You won't have to worry about it tho

Reply to
mleuck

Do you mean I won't worry because I'm dying? That doesn't make me stop caring. In truth, it makes a lot of things even more important to me. I know you don't believe it but I love my country and I want good things to happen here. I believe insurance reform will help everyone -- not just the currently uninsured.

"According to the Congressional Budget Office, the bill cuts deficits by $130 billion in the first 10 years, and up to $1.2 trillion in the second 10 years..."

I may or may not be a fool. You definitely are wrong. Hope you're having a great night.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

That is because current healthcare spending continues to outpace inflation. With uncontrolled spiraling costs, healthcare will soon put itself out of business. Home prices are finally down to realistic levels. But with all the unemployment, why isn't healthcare costs down? We need a place to live in before we need healthcare. People shouldn't lose their homes because their deductable on a single major medical issue bankrupts them. People shouldn't be denied a procedure just because some pencil pusher doesn't feel their pain. But this is a sad reality today.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

If you think it's expensive now wait until it's free, much of the reason why it is expensive now is because of government controls

Reply to
mleuck

The new healthcare bill mentions nothing about anything being free. It never did. It's all about equal access for all. Its about not losing your home you have a 250K medical bill. Even socialized medicine isn't free. You do have to admit that the current system needs a major overhaul. But since healthcare providers can't see past their bonuses and their golden parachutes, someone has to put their foot in the sand and start change. If the current costs continue their path, Your mortgage payment will be less than your healthcare premiums. As it is now, healthcare costs a family of 4 $500-800 a month.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

No it doesn't mention free however like any other government program people forget about the fact they pay for much of it in taxes then when they need it think it's free, witness G's comment on wondering why he had to pay for an ambulance when he's paid taxes to the fire department. You've swallowed the Obama seed and believe insurers are the bad guys when it's really the rules and regulations implemented on them by state and federal government. Add to that Medicare costs which the government is currently reducing coverage while at the same time reducing payments to doctors who are at the same time opting out of the program, that's your Obamacare.

If you honestly think government can fix anything better I've got some bridges for sale. What you are creating is a massive Freddie Mac/ Fannie Mae and when it starts to fail nobody will have the spine to get rid of it just like Medicare and Social Security

Reply to
mleuck

You just made my point for me. I paid taxes to the fire department, so I could use their services. Then, they turn around and charge me for the service I already (supposedly) paid for.

So answer my question... Why do I get charged for an ambulance ride, but not if my house catches fire?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Believe it or not, the Fire Departments in many states have already started charging for showing up at a legitimate car accident and calling it a car crash fee. They charge in excess of $750 PER vehicle. If the jaws of life is used, there is another $1500 surcharge for that. And if you are not a resident of the county, there is another surcharge for that as well...

A house fire can cost in excess of $25,000 depending how much time they spend on controlling the blaze... See

formatting link
An Ambulance RIDE will run you $500. If they actually perform CPR or any other medical procedure, break out the checkbook, because standard hospital rates apply. So before you even get to the hospital, you have already incurred $2000+ in fees...THIS IS SICK!

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

In some areas you might, your taxes anymore aren't enough to cover not only the services but the pension plans and other retirement funds which is why several cities have or are in the process of going bankrupt

Besides that ambulance could have been a private company contracting for the service

Reply to
mleuck

Welcome to big government hope you enjoy the ride

Reply to
mleuck

Like others have said, I pay taxes for police and fire servies. But they charge $650 for a 10-minute trip to the ER. On my last ambulance ride to the hospital I had to tell the fireman several times NOT to start an IV, please just get going. They filled out forms and asked for my insurance card first. Now, admittedly I was not bleeding but I did need to get to the ER. Something is definitely wrong with this system.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

A fireman wanted to give you an IV eh? I would have complained to the paramedics about that

Reply to
mleuck

In Sarasota County, the paramedics are firemen. Ambulance services are handled by the fire department. This is usually a good thing since there are fire stations all over the place.

I just looked it up online and there are 23 sites. The county is 412 square miles. You're never more than a few minutes from a squad to give you that 10-minute ride for $650. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Bookmarked.... I'll have a read tomorrow. Thanks.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.