OT: HIGH SCHOOL -- 1958 vs. 2008

This is true and sad in so many ways!

HIGH SCHOOL -- 1958 vs. 2008

Scenario 1:

Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.

1958 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.

2008 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario 2:

Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

1958 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.

2008 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark. They are both charged them with assault and both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario 3:

Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.

1958 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2008 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD. The school gets extra money from the state because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario 4:

Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1958 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.

2008 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario 5:

Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1958 - Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock.

2008 - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario 6:

Pedro fails high school English.

1958 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college.

2008 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is then banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario 7:

Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed.

1958 - Ants die.

2008- ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates his parents -- and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario 8:

Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1958 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2008 - Mary is accused of being a predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy .

This should hit every email inbox to show how stupid we have become!!

Think about it!!

Reply to
Techman
Loading thread data ...

ker-snip

It's funny, all that stuff really happened to me in school. (Except scenario # 6. I spoke English pretty good, and in scenario # 1 it was a deer rifle.)

Reply to
alarman

Got a better one. school i take care of which has at risk students has a teacher who while looking at allegheny county's most wanted fugitive website realises one of here students is wanted for bank robbery. she reports it to principal and it takes them 6 hrs to finally decide to call police and let them know they have the student at there school.

same school has one of there students while being transported home jumps from bus while it is at a stop light and get in another vehicle leaving book bag etc behind. took them 3 hrs to notify police they had a possible runaway or worse situation happening.

and these are the same as holes who want the no tolerance policy.

Reply to
nick markowitz

I'd be in prison for all the crap I did in high school...

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Techman

NO No no, Doug! Please pay attention to syntax. And I don't mean sin tax.

It was the mother of the 'girl' I had sex with. But ..... I remember that the mother was pretty good looking too.

And the hammer thing was only a few years ago. I guess that was just a lapse into a former persona when put up against a threatening situation. Although I think they'll look for someone older than I am ..... should they decide to harass a "senior citiizen" again. Maybe someone in a wheelchair.

I have to say though, My reaction to them stemmed from the experiences of my "wayward youth". I can't imagine anyone I know now, who would have reacted the same way.

But for the fact that they probably thought that harrassing me was just going to be a "fun" thing to do rather than a mugging, ....... with that many of them, .....it coulda turned out ..... not in my favor.

Reply to
Jim

same here...for extracurricular pyrotechnical displays

Reply to
Crash Gordon

RHC: Yeah, I guess we all share memories like that of things we did as youths that today would land us in jail. . I remember always getting kicked out of high school for lots of different and really bad such that it was timed perfectly with moose hunting season. Also remember blowing a stump through the side of a cottage when I used 70 % forcite (sp) instead of 40%......:((...( one summer as a college student working as a powder monkey's assistant at a local magnesium mine, and I thought I knew everything about dynamite.....NOT...). I think that was the same year my best friend and I borrowed his dad's new convertible and used it to chase wolves across the lake...him driving and me shooting...until we hit thin ice and the car went through.... (they did fish it out in the spring though....:))....needless to say, his dad was not a happy camper !!.... (Gawd the water's cold in February.....)

You're right though. In the small Ontario town I grew up in, I used to come home from hunting rabbits with a .22 rifle slung over my shoulder, walking down the main street. The cops when they did stop only asked me how the hunting was. Today, they'd call out the SWAT team.....how times have changed (and not for the better)

There's a whole lot more but then this is all off topic and I promised to stay clean....:))

Reply to
tourman

we grew in a suburban area lots of empty woods around (but not rural farm land etc...there were houses too) and we used to walk down to the frog pond with our 22's to plink at the frogs...no one called SWAT. In fact there was no SWAT back then, but there was Wacko Officer Reed, who once pulled his handgun out on me when I wouldn't pull over for him in an unmarked (in any way) car...oh that was a good one!

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.