(OT) Hello there Mr Ryckman!

I was just thinking about you the other day.

I presume that you can see that ASA has "changed" considerably since your last vist.

Actually the reason I was thinking about you was ..... now that ASA has reverted to something more like what you may have envisioned back in 1996 ...97 I was wondering if you would ever return and I was also trying to think of some way we might be able to bring the group participation up somewhat from what it is presently. As you can see, it's sparsely populated at present and not too many incidental people drop in. In talking with others at shows and various gatherings, the reputation of ASA has been undoubtably permanently scarred. Whenever it is mentioned, in my experience, the past explosive episodes are given as the reason they don't come here. I figure that if my small survey has those results, there's got to be a lot of people out there who feel the same way.

The remaining people in ASA still have their likes and dislikes, which includes both people and subjects, (which is expected and present in any gathering of diverse people) but with the absence of the " catalyst " we all choose to keep the flames at the embers level..... as it should be.

Anyway, I was thinking that since you were responsible for the inception of ASA, that perhaps you might be able to suggest something to revitalize it.

Reply to
Jim
Loading thread data ...

He doesn't have to, Bass and Sabowitz are dead and gone which is why this newsgroup has improved

Reply to
mleuck

I've been here all along as many know. Just choose not to post publicly most of the time and would reply directly. I've read every message that streamed through since the group was created (except for the obvious drive by spams). Unlike some, I won't resort to using fake identities.

I think participation in newsgroups will remain low and get even lower unfortunately. Their time has come and gone and as more and more ISP's choose not to carry them it will get worse. Just like RelayNet where the ASA group started, it too will become extinct at some point. There are plenty of other alternatives out there such as forums - but most are hosted with someone's own motives in mind so the opinions expressed will be skewed. With that said, there will be an announcement shortly about something different coming down the road and why you are going to see me more visual again.

Reply to
SRyckman

"SRyckman" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion : snipped-for-privacy@f18g2000yqd.googlegroups.com...

With that said, there will be an announcement shortly about something different coming down the road and why you are going to see me more visual again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am happy to hear from you..

Reply to
<petem001

I've already gotten six meesage asking what is coming.... all I'll say is that it's been almost 22 years since this group was created back on RelayNet.

You'll find out more on Saturday.

Reply to
SRyckman

Reply to
chasbo

I pulled a Sperry Univac main frame out this year it was fun tracing all the wiring etc to clear the room out for a new modern system got all kinds of adapters and such for legacy stuff I keep running.

Reply to
nick markowitz

What happened to it? Did the customer keep it?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Considering comparitive size, I presume that now there must be enough room left over to park a tractor-trailer .

But ..... when you think about it ...although they're a lot slower, an abacus is smaller yet.

Reply to
Jim

I hope you're wrong (about ASA going the way of RelayNet).

Reply to
Frank Kurz

FACEBOOK ???

Reply to
Bob La Londe

"Bob La Londe" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion : inn8cd$4j7$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

FACEBOOK ???

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, better! a get together in Florida so we could all piss on someone's tombs!! ;-))

BTW its a joke..

But I predict the closing of the group for a new platform..

Reply to
<petem001

Reply to
tourman

Group won't be closed, no sense in sending a control message that no servers will honor anyway. A 'remove group' message would be treated as spam and the folks in alt.config will send a 'booster to counter it.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I got into Rime Net and Relay Net back around 1991/1992, but I didn't read ASA back then. Still with the affordability of the internet, and the demise of bulletin boards with one or two connections and time limits it was inevitable that Usenet and the internet would stamp it out. Now that anybody can have their won website, and search engines will spider them Usenet is falling by the wayside too. I imagine it will drag on longer than the relay message groups did, but I don't think it will survive past "us."

Then again there are still some hold outs. Last time I talked to him a couple years ago Larry Wall still had Cactus Patch BBS up and running. I wonder if he is till carrying Relay Net. LOL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.