OT: Bob LaLonde and/or Bob Campbell

Reply to
Tommy
Loading thread data ...

Update: So far I've acquired a DOT/Snell approved, full-face helmet, Joe Rocket mesh jacket with rain liner and full armor, Joe Rocket jeans with the steel fabric inserts to protect knees and butt. I tried to find Draggin' Jeans but none of the stores around here carry them. The JR model doesn't have as much protection but at least I was able to try them on first.

The next purchase is a pair of over-the-ankle boots. I won't be riding for a few weeks though. I'm going to the hospital for surgery tomorrow and won't be walking or riding much for a while. :^(

I took the Burgman up on I-75 yesterday. Max speed is supposedly 120 mph but the makes it start to feel unstable around 100 mph. I rarely drive faster than 80 mph anyway so the scooter is a good fit for my needs. The manual shift function is surprisingly especially to other riders) quick. It gets off the line and up to speed in a flash.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Sounds like you're on the right track with the clothing.

The most important speed on any two wheeled vehicle is the speed it's comfortably capable of cruising at on a continuous basis. Every machine has that certain speed where everything comes together. Top speed means little. As long as the machine can handle reasonable and sane highway speeds without beating you and itself to death, then you should be fine, and that's what counts.

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

I hope the surgeon is none other than Dr. Nick Riviera.

formatting link

Reply to
G. Morgan

I think so. When I first picked up the JR jacket it seemed hefty. I thought this thing would be really hot in the Florida sun. I was surprised at how cool it is to ride in though. The mesh passes the wind against you almost as though you aren't wearing a jacket at all.

In this case it's capable of cruising faster than I care to drive it. I'm comfortable doing 70-80 mph on the highway with it. Around town I keep it just under the speed limit. If I'm really in a hurry or if I'm going on a long trip I'll most likely take the Odyssey anyway.

Yep. One interesting part will be learning to use a manual shift and foot brake for the MSF course and then un-learning it for the Burgman. I generally pick up stuff like that pretty fast though.

Well, it's almost time to leave for the hospital. I'll be back in a few days (maybe sooner if things go well enough). Thanks to you and Bob L for all the advice.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Yer welcome such as it is. You got a little help from a number of people here in the group.

We talked about road quality in Brazil on the phone when spoke a while back. Is that going to be an issue for the small wheels on the scooter or are you looking for a different bike for there?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I only saw notes from you and Bob C. Thank you.

I picked up a Yamaha 125 cc scooter for use in Brazil. Its wheels, while smaller motor cycle wheels, were the largest among scooters. I rode it for about a month (I think) before coming home to the US. Potholes are a problem. I know most of the major roads in Salvador well enough now to know which lanes to use where so I avoid nasty stuff. Brazilian traffic being what it is, I find I'm mostly driving below 80 kph (about 50 mph). By keeping at least 3-seconds between me and the car in front I find I can swerve around bad spots.

The real fun came with the start of the rainy season. This being a tropical paradise, daily rains are often as heavy as a shower. You get drenched in seconds if you don't have full gear on. Some roads quickly become rivers when it rains. You have to be extremely careful crossing flooded roads as there's no way to know whether the road in front of you is still there. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.