Opinions on backup reporting devices

But not have remote access and the cool shit that the panel is capable of.

Reply to
G. Morgan
Loading thread data ...

If they could they would have long long ago

Cool! now you've made everything incompatible with every central station receiver out there

CID and SIA aren't proprietary and look how long it took to get people weened off of 4x2?

Other than the cost of the equipment no they don't charge anything, the signal path is direct between the panel and central station

It requires a 7810ir Internet receiver, the panel side would use a

7847i and if the panel is capable of CID then they have a dialer capture module available
Reply to
mleuck

Fine, you can

With Honeywell you could get both CID, DSC you could have both CID or the cell sending CID and the panel sending SIA, with GE and Alarm.com you can get both as well.

Sounds like you've got the panel doing a siren trigger with the backup radio so they only get a burg signal, that's the old way of doing things

I asked them to look at the previous

Sounds like you need another central station

Yup

If they request it yes

You'd know by the incoming phone number, no offense but you might want to look at what options are out there these days, what you are complaining about was true 10 years ago but not anymore.

Reply to
mleuck

I'm sure it's possible but most installation companies won't pay for it and with what is out there now it's not worth it.

IP-only communications are fine until the customer's router or cable/ DSL modem goes down, that is THE problem

Reply to
mleuck

When I was doing scheduled inspections and tests of systems a thorough test of all communications paths was always part of it.

First thing (Okay, second - if you count eyeballing for anything out of the ordinary) I would do is disconnect the primary communicator and commencing with all my panel checks. Before leaving the panel I would call and ensure all the troubles I created had gone through. I would then note the phone number (if the secondary was a land line), reconnect the primary communicator and test out everything else.

The policy at that company was for one means of transmission - IOW, back was back up only and if you did program a panel to send both you would get a nasty-gram. That was to lessen the number of signals coming into CS - the same reason they had us turn off AC reporting - a move that irritated me, but what do I know? I carry tools for a living.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

We're doing a lot of subcontracts from ADT and that's one area I liked my old company better - their CS utilized caller ID and the CS operators could tell you which number you are reporting from.

The ADT monitoring stations either don't use caller ID or the operators can't see it. (or they are lying to me when I ask) When doing programming through "Special Projects" (normal working hours only - PITA) I keep having to drag out the butt-set and call my cell when the number in the system is wrong. Been doing a lot of work for a national Dept store chain and so far (3 to this point) the panel number in the system has been wrong every time. It would be nice if the programmer could check history and see what number the timer tests are coming in on. That and they HAVE to do something about the hold times - record for me so far... 96 minutes.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Ok, so ..... as you know I use Napco panels. What are my options to be able to provide two methods of communication to central with redundant reporting without adding more than ( lets say) $150.00 in hardware cost to the job.?

Reply to
Jim

Can't help you there since you use Napco, no idea if NetLink would do what you want

Reply to
mleuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.