Off contract soon with Apex, I'm looking for cheaper monitoring

I thought of that too however if you look at the price of a 30 second TV spot I can see why.

Reply to
Mark Leuck
Loading thread data ...

I love it when the lady of the house tells Brinks she thinks somebody tried to break-in....... YA Think, may be that's why your front door is on your living room floor.... ha ha ha

Reply to
Russell Brill

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@a23g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
I brive a dus

Not true

some people actually USE their alarm

why is it when you buy equipiment from the same makers, it's the best there is, but when they buy it, it's junk?!?!?

Reply to
BDEBJ

Not showing the 20-second delay before alarm is only part of the misrepresentation. Once the 20-second delay expires the system dials an 800 number. The line siezure, dialup, handshake, transmission and kissoff sequence typically adds another 10 to 15 seconds. If all operators are handling other calls at the moment (this happens *very* often), there is a delay of anywhere from a few seconds to 30 minutes or more. Then the message is displayed on an operator's screen. It takes the operator a few seconds to read the screen and decide what to do about the condition. She then dials the premises. In actual practice this may be anywhere from a few minutes to over an hour after the burglar has finished looting, raping, pillaging and flying an inverted 737 through the living room.

The ads are so far from reality it's ridiculous. ADT pulls some of the same nonsense in their ad campaigns.

Yep.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

It has nothing to do with the cost of the ad. They deliberately misrepresent their products and services. Leuck works for a large, national alarm company that suffers from some of the same problems as ADT and Brinks.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Is it the "Fake Apex" you are referring to? These guys:

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
Not to be confused to the only real, genuine, fully licensed and authorized Apex Alarm, since 1966:
formatting link
?

In any event, Dan, you should be able to obtain monitoring of your Honeywell GSM system from most any monitoring station, and for substantially less than the nosebleed price of $43.00, plus TAX, you are paying.

Group: Does anyone charge TAX on alarm services, or is Dan being ripped off here, too, by the Fake Apex?

Nick

DK1000 wrote:

Reply to
Nick Lawrence

In Florida we are taxed, so we collect. Several counties have different sales tax rates. Keeps you on your toes.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

wow...how long did you say you've been in the business?? i'm guessing about 3 days!!!! if that's the kind of service you provide, i really feel sorry for your cust...err victims!!!!

you really are stupid, huh???

Then the message

Reply to
BDEBJ

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@a23g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...

Hogwash, the commercial was edited to fit into a particular time period

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Bullshit! Alarms in the queue rarely are delayed more than a minute before an operator looks at it. There is no way Brinks allows an alarm signal to take anywhere near 30+ minutes to reach an operator.

Reply to
G. Morgan

30 minutes eh? I'd say you need a new monitoring station or perhaps that was a typical response time while you had your own monitoring station running in the spare bedroom

No autodialer eh? my aren't we primitive?

Now it's an hour? No wonder you don't monitor anymore

Reply to
Mark Leuck

"Cracker Morgan" wiped the drool off his keyboard, accidentally transmitting:

Sure they don't. Uh-huh.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

If you look at the commercial you just see the call after the fact, it doesn't show how long it was between the breakin and the call, I just caught the "Its our first night in the new house" commercial where they were broken into at night

I've known many people who did that, thats the main reason why most security systems have an instant mode

Reply to
Mark Leuck

The call takes 20-30 seconds, the receiver sends it to automation which spews it out on the screen in about a second and you seriously think ANY monitoring station will let that set there for 30+ minutes?

Even you don't believe that

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Well, maybe that's the way his "central station" handled them. Since that is his only frame of reference, he probably does believe it.

Reply to
alarman

Some states do charge sales tax on services as well as sales of equipment, and there are other tax issues as well.

When the alarm company retains ownership of the equipment, some states treat an alarm service contract as partly a charge for services and partly a lease of equipment. They consider the lease portion of the transaction to be subject to sales tax, just like a car lease payment.

The other potential issue is property tax. If a company like Brinks retains ownership of the equipment, some states want to charge property tax on the value of that equipment. Some alarm companies have gotten caught owing a large bill for back taxes over this. Companies like Brinks often include something in their customer contracts allowing them to pass the taxes on to the customer, in addition to the usual monthly rate.

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

Isn't that the amount of time it would take to prepare and grill his hamburger before getting back to the screen.

He had to eat the hamburger ya know.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

I've seen an expose on ADT where they took over an hour to respond. Do you seriously think Brinks is better than ADT?

Even you don't expect us to believe that Brinks or Monitronics is any better than ADT.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Half-Ass "Bullshit" Bass stuttered:

They don't, you idiot. That claim is really bizarre - even for you.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.