NX unlocker

Ok, let's play.

I'll use your scenario and let's say you live where I do.

Have you ever heard of Slomin's Oil company? They have well over a million alarm accounts in the New York Tri state area. In my area there are more oi l companies in the alarm installation business than not, with hundreds if n ot thousands of (quasi) alarm installers, former alarm installers and subco ntractors, all having access to peoples homes and many having worked for AD T and other national alarm companies. There's much doubt by legitimate alar m installation companies in this area, that any great percentage of them ha ve gone through the state required background check. Employee turnover is r ampant.

So I'll base my argument on just that fact alone.

What are the chances some one of them might use this device? I don't know . ... but the chances would be zero with out the product being made available to just anyone who might want to do harm to a former employer or end user. And you give a lot of credit to someone who would do something like that b y presuming they would have the sense to understand that they "might" not g et away with it.

The premise that seems to be too hard for you to appreciate is that if the product wasn't available there wouldn't be any chance of it being used for nefarious purposes at all and that the manufacturer obviously doesn't care. Can you imagine what a miniscule market this device has, to make it even w orth manufacturing? So "what else" might it be used for if not only for leg itimate purposes? Do you think that the manufacturer "should" make a produc t like this if it even remotely provides a means for alarms systems to be i llegitimately bypassed? I don't think so. But, of course there's always som eone who thinks that "everything" is ok to do.

You personify the probability that ethics is well on it's way of becoming o bsolete.

Reply to
Jim
Loading thread data ...

Isn't that the argument used by the gun control lobbyists?

Lets face it Jim, in order to use this product someone has to be in the premises, sat in front of the alarm panel with a laptop, yes I suppose if they were in the building during opening hours they could access the panel and set up a new code for themselves for later use, but they could also just strap out the zones and/or tamper with the communication link with nothing more that a screwdriver and wire cutters.

I don't see what the problem is with this device, especially if people are saying that if you know what you are doing then you don't even need it to view the code.

Doug

Reply to
doug

Hey you's guys.......................

I was just going to pass on this topic, but then I thought.................NOT!!

First I would like to thank all for making the ASA at the very least a bit more lively than it has been for quite some time. Kudos!!

On the other hand allow me to make a few points on this NX-Unlocker software.

1) From what I saw it was written in 2011 That would be 5 years old. 2) It is suppose to change the Download Access Code in location 19 to whatever you want. 3) You won't see what the previous code is or was. 4) It apparently does not delete or default the Go To Program Code. That could be the bigger issue since once you have one for a particular dealer you won't need the program anymore. 5) After doing a download, it got flagged by NORTON and it was removed from my system.

Having this ability to change the Download Access Code would only happen for the most part if the owner decided to go with another vendor. If that happened then the original dealer has already lost the customer.

Yes, someone could do some nasty but how would it be done and with who. Only those that have a NX panel. Won't work on any others. A lot of pieces need to be put together and the nasty person would have to lurk around or even get to a back closet or basement and not get caught. Really seems rather challenging and I am sure there are easier ways to defeat a particular system.

Sorry Jim, but it would seem you have a touchy nerve and need to chill out a bit. Personally I get more upset when some out of state alarm company calls my business number in the evening and ask "Do you have a Security System in your home??" When I mildly expressed my opinion about such a stupid question being asked and hung up, received the call

2 more times that night. Needless to say at the third was livid.

I have installed a lot of the NX panels and still do. Love the panel, use it in ways that most dealers do not or can't. Nobody needs to try an hack my panels since if a customer cancels, I default the codes and move along. Not worth more stress.

Concerning the software again. Since Norton found something then I am guessing it has something extra bad within. Or Norton just does not have enough information on the program to bless it.

As for the program in itself or the creator being evil?? I don't think so. There is a lot more evil in the world that will do far worse things. If you are in fear of someone using this product against you then start installing a different panel.

Just my 3 cents on the topic. Why 3 cents?? Inflation........................ :-)

Have a good rest of the week.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

I don't even use the NX panels. I just think that someone who makes a product like this ..... shouldn't.

The End.

Reply to
Jim

Hmmmm .... no, I don't think so ..... Let's see now. Just what else can this decoder be used for besides decoding an alarm panel? Oh .... what's that you say? Nothing?

So send the company 50 "Attaboys" for doing something that's really upstanding and beneficial for the alarm trade.

Reply to
Jim

Well Jim, why didn't you just say that in the beginning??

The other End

Reply to
ABLE1

I did! It was just a little long winded and highly opinionated.

Besides, lookit all the people who've been lurking .... popping their heads out.

OK everyone ..... back to sleep!

Reply to
Jim

Well there's your first problem, using Norton Anti-virus :)

Reply to
mleuck

For shame, now you have gone "Off Topic".

Reply to
ABLE1

Not when you consider all the software NAV flags as possible virus including other download packages which is why I dumped it ages ago

Reply to
mleuck

Did you ever get the email answer?

Reply to
E DAWSON

Yes-have not had a chance yet to try it out.

Thanks

Reply to
John R. Sowden

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.