Noob question on Compass

When you downloaded the Compass software there is also a pdf manual with the modem settings. I've never had much luck with anything but the CIA modem though so can't tell ya what the setting for the PM1200 is, if I go to the office tomorrow I see if I have info there.

When you contact panel the you can set it to Answer Machine disable, which rings the phone line once, hangs up and redials automatically about 10 seconds later the panel pickup automatically.

If you want the panel can call you back, just depends on how you want it. I always program both 15 and the dialback phone number.

Reply to
Crash Gordon®
Loading thread data ...

Here's the list of supported modems:

The following modems are supported and need no configuration: ? Hayes Optima 336 External ? Hayes Smartmodem 2400 ? Hayes Smartmodem Optima 2400 Fax96 ? Cardinal MB 2400EX ? ADEMCO CIA 2400 The following modems are supported and need to be configured (DIP switches): ? Hayes Smartmodem 1200 with volume external ? Hayes Smartmodem 1200 External Modem ? Hayes Smartmodem 1200B Internal Modem (Rev.1.2 or higher) Only the external Hayes Optima 336 is a compatible modem. The internal model will not work with this product.

I can't find anything else right now...I think you're gonna have to experiment some.

When you contact panel the you can set it to Answer Machine disable, which rings the phone line once, hangs up and redials automatically about 10 seconds later the panel pickup automatically.

If you want the panel can call you back, just depends on how you want it. I always program both 15 and the dialback phone number.

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

I hope this isn't too stupid a question an if there is a better refernce, please let me know....

I DIY installed an Ademco Vista 20P system for my home. All programming was via the keypad and it went fairly well, but seems to be a bit tedious. I noticed that the Compass software was available so I got a copy and installed it on by XP windows box.

The first problem was the modem. I believt that the panel communicates via DTMF tones rather than any standard modem protocol. A quick look at supported modems sent me to ebay to get something old enough to work. I got a practical Peripherals PM1200SA mini that was advertised as being Compass complient.

The first question is about the 10 DIP switches on the bottom. What is the correct setting for use with Compass?

Second, what is the modem type in compass or what is the correct AT strings for this modem?

Third, the alarm is on the main phone line and the modem is on the fax line to allow phone connection. Field *95 (ring count) with an answer machine, downloading and no phone module shows a ring count of 15 (which I set). My question is "how does a ring count of 15 byppass the answer machine, when it picks up on the 4th ring?"

Forth (and last), *94 is used to set the download phone number, which I set the fax/PC number. Does compass work by calling the panel, sendin some info and then having the panel call the compass CPU?

Thanks for any insight (or pointers) you can give me.

Reply to
Foo Bar

The following modems are supported and need no configuration: ? Hayes Optima 336 External ? Hayes Smartmodem 2400 ? Hayes Smartmodem Optima 2400 Fax96 ? Cardinal MB 2400EX ? ADEMCO CIA 2400 The following modems are supported and need to be configured (DIP switches): ? Hayes Smartmodem 1200 with volume external ? Hayes Smartmodem 1200 External Modem ? Hayes Smartmodem 1200B Internal Modem (Rev.1.2 or higher) Only the external Hayes Optima 336 is a compatible modem. The internal model will not work with this product.

I can't find anything else right now...I think you're gonna have to experiment some.

The Practical does work as well as a Supra 2400

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Inline...

I can't find what the modem strings would be...i guess you can try messing with strings from the modems that work.

Yes, thats right...if you programmed 15 (#15) in the ring count.

You'll see a selection when first contacting the panel to Disable Answer Machine...Compass will ring once (sometimes twice) and automatically hangup and redial. You can, at anytime, interupt that 1st ring manually with Esc or hitting the Abort button (I think it's Abort). Compass will still dial panel back automatically.

Also, check the boxs; First Time Communication and Acct# in Panel.

See above. & Latest version is 1.5.8.45

modem settings. I've never had much luck with anything but the CIA modem though so can't tell ya what the setting for the PM1200 is, if I go to the office tomorrow I see if I have info there.

rings the phone line once, hangs up and redials automatically about 10 seconds later the panel pickup automatically.

always program both 15 and the dialback phone number.

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

If you like, give me a call. I can walk you through the entire setup.

Jim Rojas (813) 884-6335 Cell

Reply to
Jim Rojas

I don't know the exact setting for Compass since I've used them with Compass but never messed with dip switches

Looking at my modem with the rs232 interface at the bottom it goes like this left to right

up up down up up down up down up up

That should work although like I said I've never messed with them

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Crash;

Thanks, for the help, I guess the PP modem is identical to the supra so I will use that setup once i figure out the 10 dip switches.

To confirm, when the panel ring count is set to 15, this is a special code (not really 15 rings). The calling party (compass) will need to set up a special call sequence of dial...allow 1 ring...hang up..wait 10 seconds..call back normally and the panel should answer on the first ring.

How do I force that call sequence in compass (btw, the compass is version 1.5.2.4Q5)?

-Bill-

Crash Gord> When you downloaded the Compass software there is also a pdf manual with the

modem settings. I've never had much luck with anything but the CIA modem though so can't tell ya what the setting for the PM1200 is, if I go to the office tomorrow I see if I have info there.

rings the phone line once, hangs up and redials automatically about 10 seconds later the panel pickup automatically.

always program both 15 and the dialback phone number.

Reply to
Foo Bar

Hello Jim;

Thanks for the generous offer. I will bang my head a bit more (I am an engineer so that's what I am supposed to do ;) )to get it running. If I need to contact you, what is your time zone and normal hours?

-Bill-

Jim Rojas wrote:

Reply to
Foo Bar

EST, call anytime.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Mark;

Thanks, those are 1 off from the condition the modem came in... I will give this a try.

-Bill-

Mark Leuck wrote:

Reply to
Foo Bar

To finish up this thread, I did find that the PP modem I was using was Tango Uniform (ebay). Got a real Hays 2400 (also on ebay...I don't learn too fast) and got the panel to sing and dance for me. I was able to upload/modify/download without any problems.

Thansk to the people for the advice and to Jim for his offer of assistance.

-Bill-

Jim Rojas wrote:

Reply to
Foo Bar

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.