Nextalarm...

Being a paying customer to NextAlarm and a paying customer to read/post on usenet I have the right to post whatever I want here...

I have used Nextalarm Broadband monitoring service for quite some time now and it's pretty darn good. I'm paying less for a better service, since I have the ability to my personal account information and alarm panel right online. Since I don't use a conventional POTS line in my home anymore, I had to do some thing. This was a great alternative and if you considering switching from a POTS provider to a Broadband provider, I recommend it.

Remember though, if you cable modem goes down and your hardware is NOT on a UPS your alarm will not be able to contact the monitoring center. Since I have a very reliable broadband ISP and all my hardware is on a UPS, I don't have this problem.

Good luck and bless you.

Reply to
Xman(AKA Mike)
Loading thread data ...

Wow, this thread has been both informative and extremely entertaining (but usually not at the same time).

I *do* work for NextAlarm.com, with most of my time spent in the R&D department. I would be happy to answer questions in this newsgroup, even extremely technical ones, about our services (particularly our Alarm Broadband Network).

Thanks Xman for bravely starting this thread - hopefully I can draw some of the fire away from you. :)

Bryan Elliot NextAlarm.com, Inc.

Xman(AKA Mike) wrote:

Reply to
Bryan Elliot

I wish you luck and knowing you are a Nextalarm employee (a technical one) you'll probably get no attention at all since Nextalarm can't look better then anyone else that every one uses or works with here. I got a lot of heat, spam, and childish responses from one positive post about Nextalarm...and I still stand behind them. Maybe you can contribute or inform people about Nextalarm since for some odd reason everyone knows everything about it because of what they have read just on the Internet. Well, anyone...thanks for!

Also..you'll notice that I'm using forte's usenet server to post this...of course on a Comcast ISP connection. I may have used comcast's usenet server previously since I subscribe to both.

Reply to
Xman

Uggg. You really want continue down this road? Actually it will probably educate a lot of folks. Let's open this door, get some input from Bryan, and expose the misleadings. It has nothing to do with your being a happy customer. I'll try to be more candy-ass towards your personal feelings even....

Reply to
Jackcsg

I'll leave it up to Bryan to answer all the incoming. It's now %100 above what I know. All I know is I was forced to be a DIY'er due to the incompetent hacker's around the area. Did I want to bother with learning some thing new like to program my alarm panel...hell no. But after some of the people that left my house who called themselves alarm technicians but some way were trying to be salesmen made my experience a horrible one in trying to get an existing panel programmed. So, having the Internet as a download source for the program manual I started reading. Starting from not knowing what an alarm panel was have successfully programmed 15 zones wired and wireless with smoke alarms and motions with an numeric keypad. Was it easy? Hell no. It was like learning a new computer language all over again. Hell, if I had an alpha pad I would be able to fly through it. So while some other DIYer's are hacks themselves and probably call their alarm company everyday for help, that is not me. I'm not even sure how the heck we ended up talking about any of this...but from reading some of the lengthy posts and then coming back here to respond...not even sure what my point is or what I'm trying to say anymore. While I rely on the broadband monitoring service for now because I have VoIP service anyway with my phone service I also have to maintain my panel and handle the repairs appropriately when things go wrong. I do want to add a 6139 keypad, but I have RF also. So, just by thinking logically with common sense, I have a feeling I have to keep my RF keypad connected at least some where in the house, but doesn't have to be used per say if I have the 6139 there additionally. Anyway, I'll figure it all out like I have with everything else. After programming all my zones the right way after many mistakes and now having the panel running very smoothly...adding another keypad should be easy. :)

"Jackcsg" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com...

Reply to
Xman

Subject: Re: Nextalarm... Newsgroup: alt.security.alarms => Xman So, having the Internet as a

You used a fixed-English (6128) keypad to program all that?!? Good Lord man.

I can almost guaranty you made errors. Now it's monitored? Jeeze.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Programming the system with a 6128 is possible, but you have to be thoroughly familiar with how the CP responds to each input... And that takes programming a few panels with the *right* keypad first. While I don't doubt *you* could do that (having worked on the Vista products before), I think the OP should call in a Pro to check on what he's done (or have "NextAlarm" recommend someone in his area to go out and test it). Putting your family's security at risk because he doesn't want to spend $100 on a service call just doesn't make sense...

Reply to
Frank Olson

I know. It's very hard for an alarm technician to believe a DIY'er programmed his own panel with no "field" experience. Alarm technicians of course are the first ones to not believe because they have it in their minds and don't want to accept it's been done this way. While some have trouble themselves how can a regular home owner do this? Get over yourself people...it's possible and can be done. Prior to me having NextAlarm I did have a "conventional" monitoring service. Conventional meaning what everyone is use to. A high priced monthly monitoring service that uses POTS to call a monitoring center. This conventional monitoring service was affiliated with a local alarm technician who indicated my system tested fine on all zones and no additional programming needed to be done. Anyway, I'm even getting tired of thinking about any of this stuff anymore. Today is the day I run into the city to buy my new DLP TV. My currently HDTV didn't meet my requirements anymore.

Reply to
Xman

That depends on who the technician is. Some of the guys who post here would have trouble programming panels that my DIY customers handle easily. Others are quite talented. Some of the techs who post here are pretty open minded about DIY. With others (Cracker, for example) there's some question whether there is actually a mind to open.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Yes, they all have their very own aggressive personality that's so in stone if some thing comes along that doesn't fit that mold, it's all wrong or can't be right. As long as I know my panel real well, and can maintain it myself and actually feel confident it's all perfect, that's all I need. Then, if my house does burn down there's no one liable for that but myself. Seeing how some of the guys in here speak or handle themselves I wouldn't want any of them touching my panel anyway.

Reply to
Xman

Where can I send the box of tissues too? Nobody told you what you wanted to hear, so know you're loosing sleep over it....Don't worry it'll pass in time. The only difference is, a few of us in this industry have to be responsible for others, not just ourselves, such as you. A smart person would have just sent a letter to the company expressing their satisfaction. Bring it to an open "public" forum, and you're bound to hear what everyone else "needs" to hear about your opinions, so they themselves can make a rational decision about a method not approved for it's purposes. I don't recall questioning your satisfaction, just made the method public and explained it better than the company did on their website. The method is misleading, as is the company's explanation of how it works.....your opinion was not. Get over yourself.

Reply to
Jackcsg

True, but it's not that way with ll of them. There are a few bright, thinking people who post here. Cracker is not among them.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cracker????? That's not nice..... How about "Graham Cracker", heh heh heh......... (Just pulling your string :^) Graham, I'm trying to lighten things up between you Florida's Bobby Brady)

Reply to
Russ Brill

Regardless of anything you say, your responses as well with others indicate your level of education and class. Your words have no merit whatsoever and I really could care less what you and your brown noses think of me or say. Your own words tell it all. I sleep just well, and the tissues only will come in handy when I have a cold. Just be quiet, no one is listening.

Reply to
Xman

You know nothing of my education or level of class. You're just upset that I can't come down to yours. Don't be upset because the truth was exposed here, and others more intelligent, and with higher values than you can, and will make a better decision based on the facts that were distributed. Everybody listens. Stupid, cheap people like you who only care about themselves often look past how some things actually work, and the liabilities involved with failure. Some people will love your new found ideas. Intelligent people who value the lives of others will make their own decisions, regardless of your poor judgment, and far beyond your knowledge. Open your eyes dipshit, and learn something....... for once in your life.

Reply to
Jackcsg

He earned the nickname because he's an avowed racist, among other things.

Hmm. I never heard of Bobby Brady.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

You know, Mr. Brady (Robert Reed) from the Brady Bunch TV show........ In the real world he was gay..... Kinda of a gay Mister Rogers...... I was just giving you and G-String a little static for loving each other sooooo openly in public :^))

Regards, Russ

Reply to
Russ Brill

Oh, OK. No problem. All in good fun.

I can't tell you anything about Cracker's sexual preferences, except that he has this habit of getting drunk and calling other men late at night. As for me well I'll just let you guess.

BTW, of course I knew of the Brady Bunch. However, (1) I didn't know that was more than just a stage name; and (2) had no idea the guy was gay. Each to his own, eh?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Or in his case, different strokes for different folks...... heh heh heh........ Now, you boys behave yourselves, the weekend is around the corner...... So just "Be Happy" (I think there was a song by that name).......... Regards, Russ

Reply to
Russ Brill

Subject: Re: Nextalarm... Newsgroup: alt.security.alarms => Robert L Bass > Cracker????? That's not nice..... How about

I am not. Just how did you come to that conclusion, felon?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.