Newbie Questions: Wireless Home Alarm System

My PC-illiterate buddy just moved into a new home, and is thinking about installing a do-it-yourself alarm system. The easier to install the better, but he wants to get a good quality one. His walls are already finished, which might make a wired system harder to install. Can someone recommend a particular brand or model so that I may point him in the right direction? Is wireless the way to go? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
308nato
Loading thread data ...

For a "decent" alarm system there is no really completely wireless system. There are a few that are close. For ease of installation not much is easier than a Simon.

Phone and power still need to be wired. Same with an outside siren.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

So he's PC-illiterate and he's thinking about installing his own alarm. Good thing it hasn't got past the thinking part; if he can't figure out a simple PC, how the hell is he going to figure out an alarm system on his own

That's the EXACT REASON I don't retail equipment to people. Good freakin' luck.

This must be the same guy who's going to avoid high gas prices by drilling for oil and refining his own gasoline onsite.

Julian

Reply to
julian

The Simon is a great wireless system. I absolutely love it but for what your freind needs, this might not be enough. A better panel would be the Visonic Powermax. The only reason it's better is because it can dial up to 4 different numbers and then initiate a two-way voice session. What this means is he can actually hear what's going on inside the house and talk to the intruder/unexpected visitor/wife's boyfreind/whatever and actually verify the alarm himself. If the Simon offers this, I'm unaware. The Ver. 2 did not but Ver. 3 may, I haven't used that panel much but I do like Simon. The best damn x-10 functionality out of any alarm panel on the market plus it's easy to program. The visonic has x-10 features but they're no where near as good or as versatile. I guess it depends on what you want to do with the system.

I'd watch E-bay for one of these system. You shouldn't pay anymore than $250 for a complete kit, if you do, you're paying too much. If you need help programming either one, the vendors offer excellent customer service but it's not usually for end-users. There is some technical knowledge that he is going to need to put this thing in but I imagine finding someone to help won't be too difficult if he runs into problems. I know there's some companies out there that will program the thing for you right over the phone for about $25 or you can find a local wholesaler and try and find an installer whose looking for work on the side. Call the distributor and tell them what you're looking for and they'll pass it onto someone for a quote. Or you can use an online referral service to help as well. If he needs a contract installer, don't pay more than $100 for a basic install and $10 a contact over the basic. If you do, you're just getting ripped off. They're just doing a simple hang and bang so $100 is fair.

A basic should include:

2 wireless doors 1 Wireless motion Maybe 1 Fob, I know the Simon and Visonic have a package that has a fob 1 Transformer 1 Keypad (wires ran in the wall if possible or stapled neatly down the wall and hidden as best as possible) A phone line connection, preferably with line siezure but in an apartment, it may not be worth the trouble and extra expense.

One thing he should absolutely get is fire protection. Absolutely, must have it, don't even think about not getting it. Tell him to get one smoke detector that's tied in the system and make sure the system can dial someone other than him (like his mom or someone).

Other options are the Ademco Lynx which is widely used where I live. I'm not a huge fan of it but it's what they give me to put in. DSC Envoy, it looks sweet but I've never used it. And that's about all, I hope this helps.

snipped-for-privacy@> My PC-illiterate buddy just moved into a new home, and is thinking

Reply to
mikelewis1971

Mike

Where can I get Visionic Powermax and what is a phone line connection with line seizure ?

Reply to
McGinn

You have to go to Israel. I understand there's a seat sale comin' up. Don't forget to pack your harmonica.

That's when you're yakkin' on the phone with the cable company and they come in and remove your lines.

Reply to
Frank Olson

That was good, Frank!

Reply to
Allan Waghalter

This is one of those guys that's obviously missing the almonds in his "roca" (I'm not sayin' that toffee on it's own is a "bad" thing).

How're things down your end?

Reply to
Frank Olson

We have had quite a large amount of rainfall in the past few days and significantly more forecast for tonight and tomorrow. Some areas here received as much as 12 inches of rain with most receiving about 3 inches in just a few hours. We always flood here on the gulf coast, but it has been very bad this time with water rising into the houses in South East Houston. They just showed a house on TV that got three feet of water! We didn't get too much in Southwest Houston, where I live, but with more rain forecast, I don't know if we will be lucky enough to miss it again.

Reply to
Allan Waghalter

Until they fixed the storm sewers, Sherwood Park (suburb of Edmonton) used to experience a lot of flooding. When a geyser of raw sewage starts up in your basement toilet, I figure it's time to move out. Back-flow preventers didn't help much. The pressure was so high it would break the pipes. What a mess. In south Edmonton (where we used to live) it never got to that point even though the rains there are heavy at times.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Where abouts Allan? I had a house in Mission Bend for 13 years at Hwy 6 and BelAir area. Finally sold it when the market got back to where it was 13 years earlier. Didn't make a penny but didn't loose one either. Had it rented to the same people for 12 of those years. That is where I got started in the security business in 1981. but with more rain forecast, I

Reply to
Bob Worthy

I live essentially on South Braeswood between Fondren & Gessner. We got more rain today and I got the pool filled for free. Not too much, however. Still have another few days of the screwy weather pattern. I started in the business in 1983! Wow, that seems like a life time ago.

Reply to
Allan Waghalter

One LOW IQ SLAVE supporting ANOTHER SLAVE of AMERICAN GOVT PSYCHOPATHS.

Jeeez.

Reply to
McGinn

And you are ONE TYPICAL AMERICAN PUSSY who SHITS in ITS PANTS when IT HEARS the words FBI, CIA and NSA.

Reply to
McGinn

FUCKING LOW IQ MORONS,

This THREAD was started to get some answers for SETTING UP SECURITY.

This is NOT about YOUR FUCKING HOUSES, RAIN, WATER and YOUR PUBIC HAIR.

Take that SHIT to your PERSONAL EMAILS, PUSSIES !!!!!

Reply to
McGinn

We'd been having a semi-drought for months until the last week or so. It figures! As soon as the pool company came and pumped out our pool and spa it started to rain again. :^)

I've been in the business ~29 years now and it has been a lifetime.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Think LOXXON... you'll be glad you did

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.