New Veritas R8 Install

Hi, I am installing a new veritas R8 with little success. Following the manual to load the factory settings doesn't work. I've spoken to the help desk. The bloke says that the manual is wrong and that you connect mains first and then battery. Tried that with no difference. The manual says to press the reset key within 10 secs of power up. This doesn't work. The bloke says that you have to press the reset button twice and says that's what's stated in the manual. Again this doesn't work.

If I just power up the reset fails, 9-beeps continue followed by longer beeps and the alarm then seems to set itself.

I'd be grateful for advice,

Thanks,

Alan

Reply to
alan.darlington
Loading thread data ...

The manual seems to state that there is a default program...not sure why you'd want to reset it. Not familiar with the product...just reading the manual. With most alarms you power up first, then connect the battery.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Hi Gordon,

thanks for yor interest. Having studied the manual I assumed that there would be a default usercode and engineer's code. Following the instructions for the installation it doesn't mention these. It does however refer you to the section on commissioning (initial power up) I assumed - maybe mistakenly - that I had to reset the panel as one of the commisioning steps (to set the usercode to 4321 and the engineer code to 1234). The guy from Texecome said that the power-up was wrong in the manual and that it was mains first and then battery. He also said that to restore the factory settings the 'reset' button needs to be pressed TWICE not once within the 10 seconds before the 9-bleeps come in as indicated in the installation manual.

If I turn on the mains the alarm panel seems to set immediately and will eventually go off when a PIR is disturbed etc. But I can't communicate via the keypad to turn it off. I have double-checked all cabling and connections which seem OK. I don't have a lot of faith in the support guy but if all else fails I'll have to give him another try.

Thanks again,

Alan

Reply to
alan.darlington

The way I read it, the Engineers code and default user code are just that...defaults, so you'd not need to do anything until (and if) you want to change them.

If you've not got the panel all wired up, there's a good chance there's a default fire zone that is causing it to go "off"

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I remember some of the older panels would power up armed. Could that be what is happening here? You can not enter programming if the panel is armed.

Reply to
alarman

Most alarms come up the way they go down...some have a programmable option to not (which I think is very dumb). No I don't think you can get into programming of any panel while it's armed except remotely - with software.

Did you buy this panel new?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Hi Gordon,

yes it was bought from security warehouse. I did see a small dirt mark on the case when I opened the box which made me think on a bit. However the instruction manual and keypad were sealed - but they could have been added to a re-issued box I suppose. I can't have done anything except reset to the default values. As the default codes don't work does this indicate a duff main board or a re-issued board with other codes? Is there any point in looping out all the PIRs and Exit switch, looping out the tamper alarm and just connecting the odyssy box (which seems to function correctly as per the tests in the veritas manual) to try and get it up and running?

Thanks,

Alan

Reply to
alan.darlington

I'm guessing the US version and the UK version are at least similar. Normally on initial power up, the keypad is too far away to make it in time. I use the other method where you power up the panel and push the panel tamper about 5-10 times within the first 5 seconds. Has always worked for me and I always default on installation.

Reply to
Paul

IF you're following the tech manual to the letter and are being helped by the MANUFACTURER's tech support and you cannot get in to panel by the default codes...the panel is bad or it's a repack that's locked.

Again...I'm only going by years of general experience here; I'm not familiar with that box.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Hi Everyone,

I'm really grateful for the help and advice from you all. Although it's my first alarm installation I'm no mug. I've 30 years in the electronics industry and I'm a software developer in my spare time. Logically, I can only agree with Gordon's last suggestion. I'll contact Securitywarehouse to try and exchange the unit. Unfortunately, I'm away for a week on holiday so I'll have to see what happens. I should have bought from a local supplier. Thanks for your interest. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

Alan

Reply to
alan.darlington

Sounds like we have a distributor selling direct. I don't mind but I wonder how many SW dealer/customers are reading this thread.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I get calls every so often from DIY customers who were referred to me by the various branches around FL. From their standpoint that makes more sense than selling direct. They still make the sale (to me) and they don't have to support the client. Also, they avoid annoying their dealers, many of whom would stop buying if they saw an end user shopping there. I don't doubt that there are other branches where "anything goes" but TTBOMK the branches around SW Florida are pretty decent about not competing with their customers.

Are these customers purchasing at the counter? Only kidding. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I believe the OP said or intimated that he's from Britain

Reply to
Jim

I didn't notice that but I was just having a little fun anyway. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

In view of the response you got, I'd say it was VERY little fun.

Reply to
Jim

Such is life. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

And life is short.

Reply to
Petem

It's too short to waste it on rage.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

Gentlemen, (maybe Ladies as well) thanks again for all your interest. Yes I'm from NW England (near Chester - originally Liverpool). I haven't been able to post as I've been in Spain for a week. Luckily my guitar collection was still intack when I got home. Securitywarehouse have offered a replacement so hopefully that will solve the problem. I hope I haven't ruffled the feathers of the 'professionals' too much.

Cheers,

Alan

Reply to
alan.darlington

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.