New Service Trucks

Well... I'm doing it again. Shopping for new service trucks. If I got it figured right I can trade in for three new trucks, and actually have a lower total monthly payment than I have now. Woo! Hoo! Plus I can take the tax break again this year. I had hoped to do the deal right on 12/31-1/1 so I could take one for 2007 and one for 2008, but the sales manager(s) got sticky on the numbers and killed most of the advantage of the deal. Almost like they figured if I could get a tax break and saved some money I should give it all to them. Screw that.

I really miss the S-10 pickup. That was the perfect service truck for 95% of what we do when paired with a nice work cap. I hate the Colorado that replaced it. Its an OK truck I guess, but I just don't like the fly by wire computer in it. When I stop turning the key I expect the starter to stop turning, and I'ld like to be able to take advantage of the HP in that I-5 when passing instead of having a forced acceleration rate by the stupid computer.

Anyway, Dodge Dakota costs too much, and the dealer wouldn't budge even when buying three trucks. Ford Ranger looked good, but I never got a response from the local dealer when I was quote shopping. Finally I went back to Chevy since the local dealership treats me pretty good, and they have sold me my last four trucks. The shop is even fair on warranty work. I got a call yesterday that they have located the trucks I want. Now if we can just make the numbers right. I know they would give me a smoking price on 3/4 tons, but I just don't have a lot of use for a truck that heavy anymore. Between a few extra thousand and the 9MPG when paired with a nice utility bed I wasn't ready to spend that much.

Figured 1500 extended cabs 1/2 tons should be more than adequate so the

1500s look like the ticket. 2 4.8 L 2wd work trucks, and a 5.3L 4wd. Yes we need 1 4x4. I have had to rescue trucks from a jobsite before, and I know better than to let a young tech take a 4x4 of his own. I might have to go rescue it in some strange places.

Wish me luck.

I'll miss the power of the 6.0L in my 3/4, but realistically its more power than I needed for anything I do routinely.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

Last time I checked, Dodge over the years depriciated least of all the American trucks. But thats probably not an issue for you.

I would stay away from Ford for now. They are having some troubles with engine fires even when the vehicle is off. Triton engines are spitting spark plugs and Ford is turning the other way leaving owners holding the bag. I would do what you are doing, continue to deal with people you know.

All the best!

Finally I went back to

Reply to
Roger W

I'm real happy with my F-150 van bought it last march with 22K miles on it it was only 6 months old at the time - a rental return from one of the big rental companies...got a smokin' deal. They were asking 16500 I offered them

15500 and said ok but I also wanted the WeatherGuard electricians package too. They didn't go for that so I said...well give me the package installed at YOUR price and the Ford alarm system...done deal. Great truck and I get 16 mpg.

Now I still have to fill up all those little drawers.

I was out your way the other day, but no time to visit, next time I'll give ya a call.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

No big I ate up my social time yesterday with another on-line IRL meeting at breakfast. Next time though, I hear you are out this way without saying hi, and...

Reply to
Bob La Londe

What?!? You don't just throw everything in the trunk of your Valiant?

Two of my long-term techs always used Toyota pickups with tool caps (I forget the make). When I was still installing I preferred a Dodge "supervan" with racks and drawers from American Van. The van gave me a place inside while assembling stuff. During CT winters that was a whole lot better than scraping the ice off side units to get at supplies while standing in the snow.

Always. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Speaking of which...

I'm putting together a trip to the Amazon this fall -- gonna go after Peacocks again. Interested?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Love to. Probably not though. The work load never seems to stop.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

"Robert L Bass" wrote in

They are nice to work out of if you can stay organzied. I looked at Toyota, and my own experience with oder Toys has been good, but I got gunshy when a dealer was all gungho to sell me some back in the 90s when they had a sot frame (breaking) and a bad head/gasket blowing out in back to back years. They were like, "Yeah., we can make you a great deal on those." I could not have afforded the down time for either one when it went so I passed, and I've had an aversion to Toyota ever since... or atleast that dealer.

Yeah, but I know me. A van would quickly turn intop a no man's land. My dad runs his handy man business out of a panel truck, and even with floor to ceiling bins and shelves he still suffers from a certain amount of that, and he is better organized than me.

I could see that as a selling point in snow country.

-- Bob La Londe The guy who decides who we do business with.

The Security Consultant PO Box 5720 Yuma, Az 85366

(928) 782-9765 ofc (928) 782-7873 fax

Contractors License Numbers ROC103040 & ROC103047

Reply to
Bob La Londe

The place I work can't make up their mind what to give me!

First I used my own truck, then I got a Toyota truck with a shell, then a Ford E250 (Triton V8), then a Chevy Astro Van, now I have a new Chevy Express van. Nice van, but the weenie V6 engine is too small. But it's nice to have all this room.

Reply to
Silicon Sam

You have time to jiminex around with these characters but no time for fishing? Something is very wrong with that.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I had an Izuzu I liked but I imagine that was the same as your S-10

From what I understand the Ranger is being discontinued next year which is a shame, mine now has 140,000 miles on it and it runs fine. I don't like big trucks and it looks like now nobody will make small ones, the Tacoma doesn't look bad but it's not that small either

Reply to
Mark Leuck

When you call for insurance on a new vehicle does the insurance company sales drone ask if you're going to have a snow plow on the truck? I don't recall if I already mentioned it but some turnip-brained clerk at actually asked me that a few days back -- all the while knowing I'm in South Florida. You have to wonder sometimes. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

From what I understand the Ranger is being discontinued next year which is a

RHC: Mark, I agree with you. The Ford Ranger has been my only service vehicle for both locksmithing and alarm work since 1983. I bought my first one back then, and started leasing new ones every three years since 1997, simply shifting the expensive cap I own to each new vehicle and getting it painted as part of the transfer. The Ranger has always been a great little truck, and now that I have to hand back the current 2005 one in May 08, I will sorely miss this little truck.

Reliability has been superb, gas mileage pretty decent, and dealer service has also been good (the odd time I've needed a warranty repair). I just don't need a truck any more doing strictly service, sales and office work. I'm going for a Toyota Matrix or Pontiac Vibe this time around....

Reply to
tourman

I miss my Ford E250 van. Now I have a Chevy Van. Can't stand the steering; what's the word...numb? The Fords are much nicer to drive. Other than that, it's ok.

Reply to
alarman

Check out the Chevy Express Access option. I have a 2003 model. Nice to work out of.

formatting link
js

Reply to
alarman

I used to hate Fords for the sole reason my dad did, I was given a Ranger work truck and I think after 100,000 miles the only problems I had was a rear shock broke and a starter went out.

My personal Ranger has decent power with a 4 cyl, gets 22 mpg in the city and almost 30 highway.

Now if GM would bring a Holden VE Ute in and rebrand it El Camino I might bite

formatting link

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I get out and go fishing 3-4 times a month. Getting out of town for more than 3 days in a row is the problem.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Bob, I always respond with respect for you, but this time you've gone too far. There is no such thing as not enough time for an extended fishing vacation. I realize that you have no interest in the gorgeous Brasileiras who swarm the docks and line the streets of Manaus waiting to meet Americanos but we're talking about 20+ pound bass here.

You really need to get your priorities straight, young man! :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

No listen ya' old fart... I used to work 7 days a week 10-16 hours a day, but one day I realized it wasn't worth it. I do go fishing quite a bit. While not the Amazon, we have a very beaughtiful fishery just up the road from my house with places I still haven't even seen much less fished. :^)

I think in another 3-4 years I'll be able to turn a lot of this over to others, but we shall see. When I first started fishing tournaments I never thought I'ld have time to go fishing every weekend, but I managed to make it work.

-- Bob La Londe The guy who decides who we do business with.

The Security Consultant PO Box 5720 Yuma, Az 85366

(928) 782-9765 ofc (928) 782-7873 fax alarm snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Contractors License Numbers ROC103040 & ROC103047

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Bob,

The post was tongue in cheek...

(no Jiminex, not that cheek; don't get your hopes up)

I understand how hard it can be to get away when you run your own business. Although I often go to Brazil, I actually have an office there and I usually work the same hours as I do here. Nights and weekends belong to my sweetheart, though. :^)

The trip to the Amazon jungle was something I'd dreamed of doing since I was a teen -- way before I ever thought I'd really do it. It somehow stayed with me over the years until one day I found myself married to a Brazilian. Even then, the Amazon was still just one of those things I thought I'd do "some day". But when I got sick with cancer there was a time when I didn't know if I would make it or not (thankfully, I had Jiminex to encourage me :)). I promised myself that if I survived I was going to start doing some of those "some day" things now while I still can.

Well, I made it. Supposedly I'm cancer free. So I booked a flight to Manaus, signed on for a fishing expedition deep in the jungle and did it. The big M109 was another of the things I'd always wanted to do but as you know I was already working up to it before I knew I was sick. You'd like the looks of it, by the way. I swapped the pegs for shorty platforms, raised the bars a little and installed 32 lights -- mostly blue. Every place where chrome, plastic and metal come together there's a halo of blue light. The wheels glow like neon blue discs at night. A few nights ago a cop pulled up next to me at a light, hit his siren for a split second and rolled down his window. Thinking he was going to say, "Pull over," I turned to look and he said, "Nice bike!"

Heh, heh, heh...

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.