New batteries don't last like the old ones

Anyone notice how the new alarm backup batteries built in China don't last the same length of time anymore as did older ones. Newer batteries seem to average from 2 to 3 years before often dying a catastrophic death (which can pull the panel down as it struggles to charge a battery in dead short condition). Older batteries made by reputable companies like Yuasa seem to average about 5 years with many going longer. The much older batteries (orange in colour) often went over 10 years (although I always change out batteries that have gone over five years as a matter of course).

I wonder if the industry is in cahoots with the manufacturers....cheaper batteries equals more service calls equals more revenue from the customers.....:)) Or is it just pressure on the suppliers for constantly cheaper prices in this sometimes "nickel and dime" industry where everyone wants something for nothing.....

Dunno....anyone have any thoughts on this matter?

Reply to
tourman
Loading thread data ...

The reason the Chinese batteries don't last as long is because the use the lead to put in childrens toys.

As far as Yuasa, they are back in business. I had been buying the "Genesis" batteries from ADI but at the Calif ISC show I say a Yuasa booth and found out that they were now producing batteries again under the Yuasa name. I can only guess that they had some sort of an aggrement to stay out of the business for a period of time after their agreement with Genesis. I had posted the information here so if you can do a search here or do a Google search you may be able to locate a supplier near you.

Reply to
Jim

RHC: Actually, I have spoken to my wholesaler about this situation and advised him I will be going out to look for a new supplier of quality batteries unless he decides to stock them. Yuasa and Exhalter seem to both be quality products. Things are different here in Canada though, so what applies in the US may or may not apply here. But I'm going to try......

Reply to
tourman

We found a very big difference in weight of the batterys between ultratech and Yuasa im staying with yuasa

Reply to
nick markowitz

I switched to Elk Batteries when Yuasa stopped making them. I have no complaints so far.

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Give Ben a call at

formatting link
Best damn batteries on the continent.

Reply to
Frank Kurz

Was that a US thing? I haven't noticed any absence of Yuasa in the UK.

I had a Yuasa 6AH battery (NP6-12) which was removed from a panel in

1995 as part of routing swapout, but which I hung on to. It was working fine, driving a portable 12V lamp still with full capacity, until about 3 months ago, when it suddenly died. Thought that was quite good going.

OTOH, I removed a 5 year old 7AH Yuasa (NP7-12) from a panel about a year ago, and found it only had 1AH capacity left. Not so impressed.

Not enough data points to be statistically significant though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I don't know. I just remember that I'd heard that Genesis had bought them out but the battery quality would remain the same. I just continued using them under the Genesis name. Now Yuasa brand is back on the market so I'm using them.

I've used Yuasa for lots and lots of years certainly more than 20. A few times during that period I tried a few other brands and inevitably they fail at a faster rate than the Yuasa. I mark the date on the batteries so it's pretty easy to know. I hear that the Elk batteries are pretty good but since the Yuasa are available to me, I'll stick with them.

Reply to
Jim

Back in the 1980's a 12 VDC 7 AH Yuasa cost about $20. I would buy them from Radionics when I ordered a system. Many of those batteries (and entire systems for that matter) held up well for 12 years or longer. I have not seen anything like that from any manufacturer in terms of durability since then. The pricing has gone down, but along with it so has the quality it seems.

I don't know. I just remember that I'd heard that Genesis had bought them out but the battery quality would remain the same. I just continued using them under the Genesis name. Now Yuasa brand is back on the market so I'm using them.

I've used Yuasa for lots and lots of years certainly more than 20. A few times during that period I tried a few other brands and inevitably they fail at a faster rate than the Yuasa. I mark the date on the batteries so it's pretty easy to know. I hear that the Elk batteries are pretty good but since the Yuasa are available to me, I'll stick with them.

Reply to
Just Looking

Genesis / Yuasa forget the other crap.

I weighed a Genesis 12-7 against a UltraTech (crap) and the Genesis weighed a full pound more...for what that's worth at least it has more lead in it.

Reply to
Crash

:

Maybe that's why people are always telling you to get the lead out.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.