NETWORX NOT ARMING

Customer has NX4v2 and will not arm with any code, installer code, and keyp ad buttons. Programming has installer code able to arm/disarm. Master code was reset and still will not work. Upon arriving at premises, keypad is fla shing alarms such as in *3 mode. * 7 clears things up, but still will not a rm.

It probably is fixable by defaulting back and reprogramming, and then maybe it will revert to the same thing... I know, it's Networx, when it acts up or misbehaves, just power down & everything goes away usually.

Anyone with further input will be appreciated. My guess is some kind of sur ge, so better just change out the board. Networx has more strange problems than most other brands combined.

Thanks for any further thoughts anyone may have.

Reply to
Hogan
Loading thread data ...

Hogan,

Assuming that you have a "Ready to Arm" and a "Active Code", it should arm.

*3 Shows the last alarm *4 Is for Test. Siren will go off. *5 is the enter new code with Master Code *6 Sets the authority level. *7 is the smoke reset, Zone Troubles, and Zone Tampers

Since it is just a NX4. Default it and reprogram.

Easier than trying to figure out where the program is wrong.

If you are programming with the keypad should be easy enough.

If you can program with DL900 (much better) then you will have the program for future. If it goes nuts again, then replace the board and re-load the program. Done!!

The Networx line is a very good panel. If you are not familiar with it, then it can be challenging.

Good Luck!!

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

keypad buttons. Programming has installer code able to arm/disarm. Master c ode was reset and still will not work. Upon arriving at premises, keypad is flashing alarms such as in *3 mode. * 7 clears things up, but still will n ot arm.

aybe it will revert to the same thing... I know, it's Networx, when it acts up or misbehaves, just power down & everything goes away usually.

surge, so better just change out the board. Networx has more strange probl ems than most other brands combined.

True it can be challenging especially wireless, I wouldn't recommend defaul ting it

Reply to
mleuck

Well, I actually do know them pretty well since I can get into any Networx board even if it's locked out any which way, programming or remote access.

It was actually a version-1 after all. I was not going to take a chance tha t I would have to return at a later time again. So, to the trash pile it we nt.

I do believe that they copied DSC programming somehow a long time ago. It w ould have been nice if adding wireless was also just as easy. It gets me th at after powering up, that you still have to get into programming in order for the mainboard to find the wireless card. No such thing in DSC. To me, i t makes me wonder why they did not take the time to get rid of these quirks .

It's an OK system, but my experience says also a bit buggy.

Thank you for your input Les.

Reply to
Hogan

Hi Hogan,

I agree there are times that a "bit buggy" is the correct, but, I find it more of doing it the way it was designed to do.

I have installed Ademco, Moose, DMP, DSC, etc. They all have their own quirks. I find the Caddx/Networx the one that I can do much more with than the others. I have a NX8E that has 19 modules connected. Such as 4 ea. NX148E keypads, 2 ea. NX320 Power Supplies, 4 ea. NX507 Relay Modules, 9 ea. NX216 Zone Expansion Modules. All connected to

14 ea. Delayed Egress MagLocks, with multiple ELK-124's to provide door specific announcements over the building PA System. There are multiple other functions that are controlled through out a 4 story building with basement. Has been up and running for about 7 years now. I can't say it was up and running out the box, but as for now except for a low battery or a bad switch all has been running well.

I have another building with a NX8E with 8 partitions and 16 modules connected and it has been running for 18 years. And there are all the smaller systems that are all different, no duplicates, (aka) custom.

What I find most frustrating is the documentation. I just installed the new wireless Smoke Detector that has a second zone as a Freeze Sensor. Turns out that the docs did not include the notice that Option 1 and Option 2 in the wireless zone module need to be turned ON for the Zone to be properly set.

My feeling is that the programmer should NEVER write the documentation. A actual USER should be doing the writing of the docs. If that were so life would be so much easier. Then there is the language in translation that needs to be properly interpolated as well.

And yes, I just noticed that there is some similarity with DSC as to the keypad keystrokes. As to the programming, is rather different as to the software.

Then to your comment about Networx coping DSC or is it the other way around??

There are a couple if different Video Recorders, different manufacture, different countries. That when you look at the programming you see a great amount of similarities between the two. Discussed this with a sales rep from one and he said that a third party was contracted by both to provide the software for their recorders. Is it possible the same or similar happened with Networx and DSC??

Have a good week!!

Les

for both and

Reply to
ABLE1

x board even if it's locked out any which way, programming or remote access .

hat I would have to return at a later time again. So, to the trash pile it went.

would have been nice if adding wireless was also just as easy. It gets me that after powering up, that you still have to get into programming in orde r for the mainboard to find the wireless card. No such thing in DSC. To me, it makes me wonder why they did not take the time to get rid of these quir ks.

The reason why wireless is odd on the NX is it was originally designed for sensors created by Caddx, right about that time they were acquired by ITI s o they had to "graft" on an ITI wireless receiver

Overall a great panel just wish it were easier to program wireless like the Concord

Reply to
mleuck

As far as I had time to search, DSC was founded by John Peterson from Toron to, Canada in the late 70s. At the time, DSC turned the industry upside dow n. He chose Tyco in 2001 in order to make sure that the company kept going the right way. It seems to be going fairly well... and it still has its ori ginal name.

I remember working on some really old Caddx wireless in early 2000s or was that Ranger, the kind that if the battery was removed, I believe you had to reprogram or something to that effect... all I remember is that it was rat her dense in forethought.

CADDX became Interlogix, and then GE bought that, and now its UTC security. They change names more often than a fugitive on the run.

DSC did not copy CADDX, that I am pretty sure of. DSC's programming instruc tions are very logical and simple, in my estimation. They were really my f irst experience as a technician, so perhaps I am partial.

Reply to
Hogan

Hogan,

Nice history lesson. I totally agree with your final sentence. Mine was Moose for various reasons at the time. Then Sentrol, when that went away I had to make a decision. I received a panel from DSC, Ademco, ??? and Caddx. I played them for a while and decided on the Caddx/Networx. All part of history.

As for the wireless, yes some had their quirks. They are better now. The challenge is trying to find the reason for a weird reaction of stuff you can't see.

As was the case last October as I noted in my thread here on ASA: "Extreme RF Noise source locating"

Still have no clue as to what that was all about and all has been good since.

Later,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

That sounds like the old ITI sensors that required a programmer

Caddx was purchased by ITI then Sentrol purchased ITI and called it Interlogix then GE bought Interlogix

Agreed, Napco's XP and low-end GEM 400/800 series did the same thing

Reply to
mleuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.