NetTalk Duo VoIP

Yep. Paranoia is king. I have all my customers specifically accept or reject various communications and backup communications as part of their contract before I will accept them.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

RHC: I just hooked up the Nettalk Duo device, registered it and got my new 613 local calling number. Amazing !!! This has got to be the easiest and slickest device that's come along in a long time. I'll let you know how it works with the alarm. This is a "no brainer" to set up....truly plug and play

Reply to
tourman

Did you do the port-forwarding in your router, and set the device's IP to the DMZ? I read the manual and that seemed important.

Do you have to buy from the website, or are they in stores?

Reply to
G. Morgan

RHC: No, I didn't have to do a damn thing...just get the phone number while registering and then plug it in. There are a number of compatible and NON compatible routers up on the website; mine wasn't listed, but it worked plug and play. I did notice that my router assigned a local network IP address automatically from the DHCP pool though, which is normal for any network attached device.

In Canada, we can ONLY buy through Amazon.ca. It's $79. While the US based website says $30 a year, for some reason it's $40 a year up here (maybe $10 for the Canadian number - not uncommon with VoIP services in Canada)

It specifically says this product does NOT work with alarms;however, Jim Rojas says it does. I will trial it for a month and let you know.

Reply to
tourman

I would imagine that they just don't want the liability of saying that is does work with alarms.

The one down side I can see about this device is that in a residence, you've got to be able to get a network wire to the alarm panel or a telephone wire to where the router is. That could be quite a chore considering that the modems usually wind up under a desk someplace on the second floor in a bedroom or office. Say you go with a wireless alarm installation, now you've got to get this wire all the way up to the attic and down a wall to the modem.

I wonder if it'll work with somones wireless link.

Reply to
Jim

RHC: Yeah, I've thought about that wiring problem too. Sometimes you can use the existing house wiring to feed back down to the basement. In these cases, I suggest the client buy Panasonic phone wireless systems, set the base station up in the basement where the Bell comes in or the Rogers modem usually is, and then use the other three wireless phones for around the house. There are going to be problem situations though, which I review during the initial looksee during the sales call.

If I end up using this Nettalk Duo device, it's definately going to take some "creative wiring" at times....:))

Reply to
tourman

Great, please do report your findings.

Reply to
G. Morgan

You could probably put a WIFI router in "access point" mode and use the built-in network switch to plug into.

Reply to
G. Morgan

RHC: I "reserved" the Duo IP address within the DHCP pool of my router and opened the DMZ zone to that particular local IP address. Should solve any dial in problems. The Nettalk unit itself is password protected so that's all any hacker will ever see.

In searching the Nettalk forums, I did find one alarm dealer who claims the unit doesn't kiss off properly using Contact ID or SIA, and he had to fall back to either 4/2 or 3/1 to make it work. Yet your experience seems to say otherwise. I haven't yet done the connection and testing to confirm one way or the other,so...we'll see...

Reply to
tourman

My feeling about this device is, that you may want to utilize it for your own use but regardless of what you or Jim ultimately experience, I don't think it would be a good idea to provide, recommend or depend upon this device in the course of business. It's likely that it will work some or most of the time under some conditions but ...... not every time ..... without fail.

Reply to
Jim

RHC: "It will work some or most of the time under some conditions" is pretty much the definition NOW of how alarms work with all current VoIP services. That's exactly why reputable companies wont touch VoIP on alarms !!

If this is any better, it may offer a solution of some sort; however, I see your point and acknowledge the worth of it. The question really is "how MUCH better is this VoIP than previous ones and at what point is it reliable enough???

Gotta say, I don't know the answer to THAT question....

Reply to
tourman

Every technology in existence has its problems...nothing should go without concern.

POTS lines get garbled or even die in rainy weather. VoIP is subject to bandwidth, echoes, and the high compression of data streams. DSL is just plain too noisy. GSM works as long as someone maintains the local cell towers. IP works as long as the customer pays their bill.

We do the best we can with what we have.

Jim Rojas Technical Manuals Online!

formatting link
Cornwall Lane Tampa, FL 33615-4604

813-884-6335
Reply to
Jim Rojas

RHC: Well, I'm going to be testing this device on a DSL high speed connection over a POTS line, and it's using Contact ID, so we'll see what we see....

Reply to
tourman

I was thinking about adding a timer or relay schedule to power cycle the router, cable modem, & NetTalk unit everyday about 3am. We all know that a router or modem can lock up for no good reason at any given time.

Jim Rojas Technical Manuals Online!

formatting link
Cornwall Lane Tampa, FL 33615-4604

813-884-6335
Reply to
Jim Rojas

How many times have you tried to recycle and you've had to do it again because something didn't set right? And sometimes even a third time?

And what would you offer to the end user to alleviate the problem? If you're going to offer them a timer relay also, you're already approaching the cost of a network alarm communicator which doesn't have the additional cost of the Net Talk device.

I mean ... I get it if you're just trying to see if the device will work ... or not .... but if you're thinking of actually offering it as part of an alarm installation ........

Reply to
Jim

What you'll see is how well the device works on your home/office line at the time of testing.

Unfortunately since its Voip and subject to the same issues as any other Voip service it won't tell you much about how it will perform in the field tomorrow, next week or next month.

Other than using it for voice, fax and possibly using it for downloading I'm not sure what attraction this device holds for anyone in the alarm industry, if the customer has no land line and has broadband then they probably already have Voip of some sort and liability wise you would probably be better off using their Voip (with a suitable disclaimer), rather than you providing or recommending a Voip device for them to use.

If they have no land line or Voip but have broadband, then in my opinion you would be better off using an IP communicator.

With the low cost of cellular devices and the low monthly rates available I prefer to use cellular for backup for those customers who choose to use Voip for their alarm service.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

RHC: Using cellular is where I am now. I would like to find something else beyond that at a lower cost. The Uplink 2530 is $300 and it adds monthly to the monitoring rate. I do sell a lot of these. The DSC IP communicator is also about $300 with no monthly extra....looking at this option too..

I would be nice to find a less expensive option for clients. If I don't, it won't be a killer though.....

Reply to
tourman

RHC: Your logic is sound ! I doubt there is little difference though between the situation where you use the clients VoIP (with legal disclaimers), or you use this little device (with the same legal disclaimers). At least I can say it has been tested to some degree, but as long as the client knows in writing of it's limitations, and I'm not actually recommending it - totally his choice to make - it's pretty much the same thing. Thinking this through, it's not something I want to leave up on my website since that could well be considered "tacit approval"...

Your post does bring up the point though, that no matter what we do, unless the unit has been"manufacturer approved" for use with alarms on the internet, there will always be more legal exposure....this doesn't leave the industry in a very good position...CYA remains the word of the day....

Reply to
tourman

RHC: Give me a bit of time and I'll send it to you as a PDF. Note however, I plan to modify it even further in the near future. Honestly, I think it's true value is in re-inforcing in the customers mind that this is a relatively poor way to implement his security monitoring - it should make him cautious before he plays around with things..

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Been on IP monitoring for the last 5 years, ( I was the tester of the device for the company) I have a teldat device, and its working like a charm, I have UPS on the router and switch at home as well as the cable-modem.

But I still have cut off on power failure cause some part of the ip network of Videotron dont have a battery backup. Any ways when it does occur every 5 or 6 month, I simply tell the central not to bother..(with my cell phone ;-)

Its fast and if you have a good connection very reliable.

one last note, 29$ router dont work properly, pay for a good one,

Reply to
<petem001

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.