NetTalk Duo VoIP

The NetTalk Duo is just like the MagicJack, but with one key feature: It is USB and also has a Ethernet jack to plug directly into your router. This eliminates the need of keeping a PC running like MJ does.

I just completed a test using the slowest broadband connection available. I tested the Time Warner Road Runner Lite (1Mbit)

So far I have downloaded Radionics, Ademco, Napco and DSC panels with no problems.

Jim Rojas

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: snipped-for-privacy@netfront.net ---

Reply to
Jim Rojas
Loading thread data ...

One more feature needed and I'll be ready. Port over my office numbers I've had for 17 years.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I ported over my numbers to MetroPCS cellphones for now. It's a great feeling to finally be free from Verizon...Now if I can only do the same with my electric company... :)

Jim Rojas

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: snipped-for-privacy@netfront.net ---

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Troubleshooting Tip:

The loss of dial tone with a cable ISP would seem to be a DNS block by your provider.

Changing the DNS will help the issue: >Primary: 4.2.2.2 >Secondary: 4.2.2.1

Going to WAN setup: >Disable SIP ALG >Enable DMZ for netTALK device with netTALK's IP.

Port forwarding:Label netTALK > ALL ports set to UDP > 5060 - 5060 > 69 - 69 > 10000 - 20000

Make sure to restart the netTALK device by unplugging the power and plugging it back in.

Thank you and sorry for any inconveniences,

NetTalk Tech Support

Jim Rojas Technical Manuals Online!

formatting link
Cornwall Lane Tampa, FL 33615-4604

813-884-6335

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Can you use your own SIP #'s ?

Reply to
G. Morgan

RHC: Jim, can this device properly substitute for a land line for customers who no longer wish to pay for one ? Seems with conventional VoIP being so unreliable and basically unusable (reliably) for alarm systems, perhaps this might be a solution that will work for people !! Have you tested alarms signalling to the station with one of these devices ?

Reply to
tourman

Even POTS lines has its problems. But compared to MJ, it is 10 times better. Signals to CS work just fine. It is all depending on the customers bandwidth. I recommend using broadband...I haven't tested it with DSL.

The unit has a light on it which indicates status. Yellow offline, green good. When you power cycle the unit, it rings the house phone once to let you know its working.

You do have to add the router port forwarding strings in order to get good reliable service.

Jim Rojas Technical Manuals Online!

formatting link
Cornwall Lane Tampa, FL 33615-4604

813-884-6335

Reply to
Jim Rojas

RHC: Thanks, as we discussed this morning by phone, in Canada you need to order the unit from

formatting link
to purchase it. I intend to set it up on my own home alarm and trial it for awhile (daily tests etc). If it works out, it will be a decent product for use by customers who have abandoned their land line, and their alarm monitoring.

Not sure what you mean by port forwarding being necessary, but I'll work that out in good time

Thanks Jim

Reply to
tourman

Why? I don't know who else has one, but my CS sells their own IP reporting module. Power it off the panel, pulls a local IP off the DHCP table, and begins pinging the CS server right away. Pings every few minutes. If no DHCP table or anything funny you can set a static local IP with a patch cable and a terminal program. Translates conventional reporting to transmit over the IP network. No reprogramming even needed in most cases. I know it works fine with CID. I don't know if it will work with pulse format or not. Only problem with it is the price. At $180 most customers get a little huffy about it, but its as reliable as their internet connection and no relying on needing enough bandwidth for voice to work. The module handles the voice frequency stuff on board. Only trouble I had was on a site that used a proxy server to connect tot he internet. Had the IT nerd on site create a direct path for me.

You can not download over it though.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

This IS conventional VoIP. There is nothing technically different between this product and Vonage, Phone.com, 8x8... The only difference is how they charge you -- NetTalk seems suspiciously cheap, which usually means they will be short-lived.

Reply to
Anders

RHC: Lets hope not ! MajicJack is also an excellent VoIP product but so cheap, I'm hoping it doesn't die because they can't keep up because of it's popularity.....It however, does NOT work either with alarms or fax machines.....

Reply to
tourman

RHC: Bob, are you referring to something like the DSC T Link IP modules. I am told that the only one that works properly is the higher end one that sell for about $300. I bought one and am trialing it at my son's home on his alarm system. Apparently, the cheaper DSC ones aren't much good.

What specific model commercial device are you referring to ?

Reply to
tourman

You better make sure the router is plugged into a UPS. No power, no signal.

Reply to
G. Morgan

RHC: Yes, of course, this is one of several things clients MUST recognize as a risk if they choose to use IP monitoring for their alarms. Speaking only for myself, if a customer chooses to use these kinds of facilities for alarm monitoring, he will be signing a form explaining he understands and agrees with a list of things that he MUST do that pose a major risk unless adhered to. Plus I also have a legal document I have used in the past for such situations.

I really don't want to go this way, but clients are abandoning their land lines in droves, and GSM and cellular are options that are too expensive for many customers. If we must use the internet, at least doing it this way is better than doing as a lot of companies do which is hooking the alarm up to anything VoIP internet based and having the customer keep his fingers crossed...:((

I have no problem with trialing this on my own home alarm system since I have cellular backup on it in case the landline ever goes down.

Reply to
tourman

Would you mind sharing that? Same email as before (Gmail), or if you forgot, the one above works.

Thanks!

Reply to
G. Morgan

RHC: Give me a bit of time and I'll send it to you as a PDF. Note however, I plan to modify it even further in the near future. Honestly, I think it's true value is in re-inforcing in the customers mind that this is a relatively poor way to implement his security monitoring - it should make him cautious before he plays around with things..

Reply to
tourman

RHC: Graham, please send me an email to " snipped-for-privacy@homemetal.com" so I can reply to you with the document

Reply to
tourman

formatting link
I have a few of these in service. No issues at all.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Gotcha..

Reply to
G. Morgan

This document is kinda scary:

formatting link
Beta?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.