Need to Make A Vise

I have been bouncing around an idea for a specialty screwless vise. I've got the shape and design figured out, and I think I have the machine processes to make it figured out. I'm still struggling with the exact best way to drill the pin holes, but that's not my hold up. I'm trying to decided what material to make it out of. The cheap steel that the Harbor freight vises are cast from machines nicely, but I don't know what it is, and I'm not sure it would be rigid enough. I could do it with aluminum easily enough, but I really don't think that would work very well. If the design works I can see myself using this vise for many many years, and even custom designing it for other machines. It doesn't have to withstand tons of holding force, but it should be able to handle upto 100 lbs of holding force with minimal distortion. I know, make it heavy, but the idea is really geared towards mini machines, so heavy really is not an option. I suspect a 75 lb vise would cause or contribute to motor stalling on some of these machines.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

Oops. Wrong group. Sorry.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

eternal-september.org...

No problem here bob I screw post up to. I would look at some of the newer aluminum alloys like those used in pipe wrenches very strong yet light weight. also very machinable. I have several machine shops for customers i could run your idea by if you like.

Reply to
nick markowitz

Aluminum is not a bad idea. I was actually considering a hard temper of

7075. It machines nice and is very strong. With my light (relatively) necessary holding force it should be ok. I'll need to remember to mark any leftover pieces though as 7075 doesn't weld worth a darn.
Reply to
Bob La Londe

You didn't give great detail but could you use a construction similar to a pair of Vicegrips ? Much of the strength of Vicegrips is derived from the "channel" shape of the handles and 100 pounds is not that much of a force requirement. Only the teeth of the Vice grip pliers are really hard metal and if you are only looking for a flat face and not a rippled grip, that part could be a seperate part of harder metal and just ground flat. And again, 100 pounds of pressure is not that much so it wouldn't have to be that hard to begin with.

Reply to
Jim

Actually a screw less vise is a pretty specific design already. In the metalworking newsgroup I meant to post that in all those guys know exactly what it is. My specific idea as an application specific version.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.