Need to cut through the BS on Alarm monitoring costs

Oh Gawd Robert, now you've gone and done it!

Quick ...... here's a parachute ...... HURRY! ..... BAIL OUT NOW ..... before you get sucked into the troll machine!!!!!!

( :-x Shush!!!!! )

Heh heh heh ...... this is really getting hilarious.

Reply to
Jim
Loading thread data ...

RHC: Click on your profile "blueman" in one of your posts....I'm no internet expert but what's with the "900,000 plus posts

I'm starting to think we're being visited by the RLB ghost, he's found a way to get the last word.......... ha ha ha

Reply to
Russell Brill

LMFAO -- I seriously almost choked laughing. You are definitely no Internet expert....

You do know that the Google profile link just searches on the email address???

You did notice that I use a common GENERIC nonsense email address " snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com"????

You did bother checking of course that thousands of other posters use that same address to signal they don't want to be spammed???

So, yeah you just discovered that there are thousands of other posters who use that same nonsense email address.

I hope that you are better at programming alarms and internet monitoring than you are at basic Google Internet searching... :) (smiley for the humor-impaired)

If you are so fascinated by me that you want to count and find all my posts, you could put the following in the Google Groups search window: "+author:blueman +author:" This yields a grand total of 490 threads containing a post from me going back to 2003. Actually, it overestimates, since it includes a number of posts that are by someone else with the same id.

Many of the windbags on this group probably post more than that volume just to this newsgroup every month :)

FYI searching similarly on your name: "+author:tourman +author:" yields 982 threads containing your posts back to 2006.

So I suppose by your logic, you would be almost exactly twice as troll-ish as I am in far fewer years of posting :))

The point is lets try to have a mature and professional conversation. Enough of the name calling. Enough of the disparaging comments, especially when they showcase your own technical incompetence.

None of these behaviors reflect well on the professionalism of your industry. If these behaviors are representative of the manners and service attitude of local installers, then it's hard to imagine I could do worse by going with a national company.

Maybe the signal-to-noise ratio in this group would improve if you all spent less time trying to find phantom ghosts and trolls and if you all toned down the paranoid thinking that every new poster is the second coming of some guy you once had a lame USENET pissing contest with.

No need to apologize... let's just end this silliness here...

Reply to
blueman

LMFAO -- I seriously almost choked laughing. You are definitely no Internet expert....

No need to apologize... let's just end this silliness here...

RHC: Agreed ! As you so clearly pointed out, I am no internet expert and the error in numbers is mine. However, I do tire of your superior, know it all attitude. You know nothing of me or my expertise in this business, yet you persist in your haughty, arrogant attitude towards people here and in our industry. And you seem to take pleasure in belittling others who may not know of, or frankly even be interested in the finer points of the internet inner workings. Frankly, I have no wish to further drag this thread out, nor to dialogue with you. You obviously feel you have all the answers anyway. But clearly, all your education has taught you little in the finer graces of life.

Good day to you sir....

Reply to
tourman

I'm late to the party here, was your question answered?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Reverse engineering a protocol, may or may not be beyond my pay grade, however I'm fairly confident that having no interest in seeing code, screen shots, pdfs or anything else on your computer is not beyond my pay grade.

Doug

Reply to
doug

I STILL stand behind my claim that crimp [pressure gas seal] connection is more reliable than a solder connection.

Based upon the following three items:

1. Telephone company uses it, and made it super fast and easy.
  2. The Experienced Security System Installers with years of experience that I worked with insisted it was so.
  3. My personal experience after ignoring their advice, and believe me I KNOW how to solder well. Clean copper wire, twisted 5 to 7 times, [actually duplicating a pressure contact - not counting on the solder for connection, rather counting on the copper to copper connection with solder merely 'holding' the connection together] flux soldered with fresh solder and beautiful wicking, and no crystalization visible using 10X examination. Solder ALWAYS crystalizes as it cools, nature of the process, but should not be allowed to cool with an excessive gradient across the junction.

There must be some objective reliability data regarding this subject. Any Environmental Test Labs out there that's done these tests and will share results?

Reply to
Robert Macy

This claim would require a definition of "better".

They mostly use a ScotchLok or similar type connector. They also use uniform wire sizes in the applications where they use them, and they tend to explode when they take a high voltage spike from a nearby lightning strike. I have re-spliced hundreds of pairs in pedestals after a particularly bad storm. UR, UY, and UG connectors only work on solid wire. I use them on underground and aerial telephone applications. These are one of the easiest connectors to use right if used for the correct application. These are almost always grease filled to protect the connections from oxidation.

Security tends towards B wire connectors (commonly called beanies). While with some care and attention to detail they can be used on stranded and solid wire, and wire of different sizes, they were really intended to be used for solid wire of the same size. I have been using them for about almost as long as I have been using ScotchLoks. Beanies are fairly easy to use, but proper tapered crimping requires a specialized tool that almost nobody has. I have one, but I am so in tune with getting beans installed just right for both intended and non-intended use that I use the rear smooth square jaw of my needles. Two crimps. One firm at the tip and one less firm at the opening seems to work fairly well, but I have found it to be difficult to teach that to people. Also methods for dealing with different size wires, stranded wire, etc. These can be ordered either dry or grease filled.

Soldering works with any size wire, and stranded or solid or both equally. While soldering properly has a learning curve, once somebody learns to "see" the shine and flow of a proper solder joint they can do any type of wire (with a soldering iron suitable to the job).

One of my bosses a bazillion years ago (before I started my own company) went to one of those fancy hoity toity tech schools. He told me they did some testing in school and they found that for their proper applications when installed properly beanies made a better electrical connection than a Scotchlok, but that proper soldering for a non movement/vibration environment was still the standard against which other electrical connections are made.

That being said, I have worked on alarm systems that are all soldered and shrink wrapped at every connection, and they problems I have found have always been with the hardware. Not the wiring or the solder joints.

I use beanies in the field for alarms because they are fast, non-toxic, and slightly more versatile than ScotchLoks.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

For what it's worth, it seems to me that I remember someone saying here in this group that B connectors were tried by the Telephone company but they didn't work. They, however, were not stripping and twisting the wires. Just inserting the wires and crimp through the insulation. I can understand why that wouldn't work reliably. I was a mil spec trained solderer and used to solder alarm connections but I've used B connectors for too many years to remember, with out any problems. Convenience being the primary reason.

Reply to
Jim

We use "B" connectors, not the see thru round ones Telco's use.

They say you don't have to pre-strip the wire, but I make a solid mechanical connection then squeeze the whole thing evenly into silicone-filled "BB's, peanuts, beans, ... whatever".

A good solder connection is actually better, but it depends on how the joint is sealed after the solder. Black-tape does not cut it, but that is what is used when they don't use BB's.

These:

formatting link

Reply to
G. Morgan

Here on the "wet coast", we used to solder all our connections until GRI came up with 3/8 mini-contacts with terminals. No more messing with off-set in-line splices or trying to wrestle beanies into or out of a

3/8" hole.
Reply to
Frank Kurz

Those are super. I like them a lot.

Reply to
G. Morgan

RHC: Yup, I agree. I have never used nor ever will use, contacts without screw down terminals. These give you instant access to the wire loop for checking (or changing to the other pair), rather than trying to extract a couple of buried B connectors within the door or window frame, and breaking the loop in the process.

One of the things I look for in deciding whether or not I'll decide to takeover a system is whether the wire connection points are buried and inaccessible. If they are, I don't touch the system.....too difficult to service.

Why buy a bag of shit for $15 to $20 a month...

Reply to
tourman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.