need recommendation please

I'm looking for a security system for some elderly people on a rural farm. I initially liked the look of the Logitech Alert 750e Outdoor Master System with extra cameras but looks like there are several problems with that system:

1) current owners report frequent camera breakdowns 2) setup apparently requires a high speed internet connection

I absolutely do not want these cameras to be available to the internet under any circumstances.

So, any recommendations for a good system with outdoor (IR) cameras? I'm willing to go $1000, maybe a little more, for a solution (pc or non-pc based) with at least 3 outdoor IR cameras.

Sure appreciate any help folks ......

Reply to
Chuck
Loading thread data ...

It's been my experience that a good quality outdoor camera system will set you back a tad more than $1000.00. You have to consider image quality, and focal lengths (unless you're mounting the camera right where the action is going to take place - which makes it vulnerable), and about a dozen other factors (including ambient light) and the quality of the IR emitters. A good quality DVR is going to set you back at least $2K (and this will provide you the alarm outputs you might also like to have when the cameras sense motion). Outdoor dome cameras can run you anywhere from $700 to $1200 (depending on the configuration).

If you want to spend $1000, then you're limiting yourself to the "systems" available through Costco and Home Depot. I don't think you'll find many security professionals selling those systems here.

Good luck with your search!

Reply to
Frank Kurz

If you know what your looking for in focal length, distance to object, day/night, back light control, IR distance, more than 500 lines of resolution etc, you might be able to pick up four outdoor, half way decent cameras for about 1000.00 as long as the requirements are not to stringent.

Depending upon the frames per second and the length of time you want to retain the video, maybe $1200.00 or so for the DVR. You'll need a power supply a monitor and wire also. another $4/500. In my opinion, that's about the least expensive you should go for the hardware for a low end to middling system. Anything less then that and quality of video and longevity will likely not be acceptable.

That's for professional equipment.

You can find cheaper systems at Security Cameras Direct and Super Circuits. Take you chances with one of their "packages" . They have more variety in the categor of end user quality of equipment.

Reply to
Jim

Good Lord, I'm glad I'm not buying stuff from your guy. :)

You spec.'ed a commercial grade solution. He can get away with a $400 decent DVR (only needs 3+1 channels), some nice weather-proof dome cams @ $175 ea., and the illuminators.... that's where he's screwed. I never understood why those damn things cost so much.

I'd go with good night-time lighting, maybe even just motion activated flood lights.

Reply to
G. Morgan

What brand/models of DVR and cameras do you recommend?

Reply to
Chuck

Look at the Speco line. It's better than Big-Box junk, but not quite up to caliber with GE, Pelco, etc.. It's low to mid-end professional equipment.

Also, do you plan on running coax and copper for power, or a single CAT5 to each camera?

Reply to
G. Morgan

What do you recommend?

In my home system, I run coax and copper but my picture has never equaled the closed circuit monitors shown at many businesses.

Reply to
Chuck

I prefer CAT5, in case later I want to go back with IP cameras. Have you looked into IP cams? You'll need a balun on each end if you use CAT5 ($15/ea.)

You can come very close. As someone else said, look for lines of resolution in the camera's specs. 550+ is good, anything less is grainy. Look for a 1/3" CCD. I know you can get one for under $200 that might even have decent built-in IR's (for close range).

Also, Frank mentioned there were about a dozen other things to consider before buying. I'd list them, but Frank is the best alarm tech in the world and his list will be better!

PS: What you see in stores is the live monitor output, not the recorded video. So it should be very clear.

Playback of recordings won't look as nice if you don't set the DVR to record in the best quality + frame rate.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.