Need information on security

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask but I'm hoping you can help or point me in the right direction. I need info on securing my home. It is either that or move quickly.

A small bit of info. I was very recently a victim of a home invasion that happened during the day. I was home at the time and they were armed.

I have downloaded all of the headers for the last 2 years and am working my way through them. But you can probably figure out that I am a bit frantic. I would appreciate any suggestions and would be willing to discuss this in private email if I can verify (through the past years postings) that you are legit. I don't know anything about alarm systems. Was thinking of having security gates installed but I'm not sure how long it would take.. they aren't very common here. I think an alarm system would be a good place to start.

Thank you

Reply to
R U Kidding
Loading thread data ...

Made it through most of the posts so I have a bit better idea of what I am looking for. My only concern is being able to get the police here fast if needed... do alarm systems come with a panic button or can they be added easily? I need something that has no delay and no questions. Found the answer to one of my concerns... the phone line. Glad to hear that you can add a backup.

So I guess what I really need is the name of a good company to install and monitor. I don't know of anyone that has an alarm! I'm in Anchorage.

Thanks for the info! I read the FAQ at Your Security Source and will call my insurance agent tomorrow to see if they can recommend someone.

Reply to
R U Kidding

A better place to start is by identifing a legitimate, reputable, LICENSED AND INSURED alarm contractor, or two or three (whatever makes you comfortable), in your area. After a personal visit to your home, they will be better qualified to address your needs and proceed with the required installation than we would, especially if time is of the essence. You are going to get to many varied opinions here which may only confuse you and in reality, at days end, we will not be the ones providing you the service. Check your yellow pages, local building department, Chamber of Commerce, State licensing board, State Alarm Association, friends and family for references, Better Business Burearu, etc. for choices. Stay away from the "Free" or very low down plans. They are tickler adds that will end up costing you more in the long run. After you have your info, feel free to check back and at that time we can say whether it is a good design, good equipment and fair pricing.

Good Luck and we will talk with you soon!

You're Welcome

Reply to
Bob Worthy

how would you secure an igloo?

Reply to
Don

Your local store owners probably have alarm systems. Look for the most widely used alarm window sticks downtown and talk to the shop owners. Didn't realize they had that kind of crime in Anchorage. Home invasions are pretty ballszy. Thought the crimes would be more like poaching out of season or harrassing the local Moose.....er never mind that is Doug. With all the tourist gone by now, doesn't everybody know everyone else in town?

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Does it have a moat around it?

Reply to
Bob Worthy

It'd be an iceburg then

Reply to
Don

And easily secured by pulling up the bridge. But regardless, the homeowner will be wearing all their valuables anyways. The furs, the ivory jewelry, they give their wives away to visitors anyway, so whats to protect?

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Reply to
Nick Lawrence

Hungry polar bears on long chains.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Good idea on the door stickers... Might try a ritzier neighborhood and see who they are using. Talked to my insurance agent and I guess it was the first time anyone had ever asked them about it. So not much help there.

When it comes to the 20-30 year old thugs in town they do pretty much know of everyone or know someone that knows.... I'm counting on it.

It really sucks that after 20 years of being online I'm now paranoid to even sign with an alias... and I'm betting that My Space is probably the extent of their internet use.

So I'll just sign with B,

B
Reply to
R U Kidding

Bob,

Thanks for the info. I will do some calling. When I started the only company in my mind was ADT since I had heard ads and such. My husband was going to call them today. I'm glad that I took the time to do a bit of research first.

B
Reply to
R U Kidding

My suggestion was bear traps or an electric fence. Don't think the neighbors would be pleased though.

B
Reply to
R U Kidding

Lots of cold cash. js

Reply to
alarman

Home invasion is, as someone else already pointed out; a very ballsy crime.

Unfortunately, the police will probably never get there in time, even if you actually had your alarm system armed during the day when you would be walking about. In a situation like that you really have to rely on self-defense...of some kind. Personally, I prefer my .45 Combat Commander, a baseball bat, and a few other assorted items stashed around the house.

| >Good Luck and we will talk with you soon! | | Bob, | | Thanks for the info. I will do some calling. When I started the only | company in my mind was ADT since I had heard ads and such. My husband | was going to call them today. I'm glad that I took the time to do a | bit of research first. | | B

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Ah, yes, the Colt .45. When you absolutely, positively, must kill every SOB in the room; accept no substitute. js

Reply to
alarman

Ahem ... the shotgun is the ne plus ultra defender, at close range.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Yeah, but not in the house!! It's a mess to clean up afterwards and it's really hard to get a silencer for it (you'd have to keep your ear protectors handy too). :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

That depends on your definition of close range. js

Reply to
alarman

Or an 8 gauge goose gun.

| >> Unfortunately, the police will probably never get there in time, even if | >> you | >> actually had your alarm system armed during the day when you would be | >> walking about. In a situation like that you really have to rely on | >> self-defense...of some kind. Personally, I prefer my .45 Combat | >> Commander, a | >> baseball bat, and a few other assorted items stashed around the house. | >

| > Ah, yes, the Colt .45. When you absolutely, positively, must kill every | > SOB in the room; accept no substitute. | | Ahem ... the shotgun is the ne plus ultra defender, at close range. | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.