need help with home IP camera choice

I want to install one outdoor camera so I can see who is at my door or perhaps loitering at the bottom of my stairs. I want ot monitor this activity from my PC one floor above the door. I have no need to view this remotely from any pc around the world....

As I am in process of framing the house, so I can choose a camera that needs a 110 volt line, or it can be power over ethernet. I want to limit sending on the camera to $200 to $300. The area will be lit at night by a motion detector, so I don't need lighting built into camera. I have no need to record what's going on either.... I suppose I need the camera to have a motion detector built into it so it is not constantly running. Will I need software installed on PC to view images from camera? thanks much for any help! Jim

Reply to
modernizm
Loading thread data ...

I think you'll have trouble finding much choice in sub-$300 IP cameras, especially those than support Power-over-Ethernet. From your "wish list" I think you really might be better off with a simple analog camera and monitor (even an old 13" TV or something will do), or if you REALLY need to view it on your computer, just using a basic analog capture card or USB dongle (check out the Adaptec GameBridge).

Leaving the camera on constantly is not an issue; the only consideration might be to turn off the monitor when you're not using it to avoid burn-in.

Reply to
Matt Ion

ACTi's ACM-1101N is an MPEG4 IP bullet camera -- VGA resolution, 2-way audio, POE, etc. It retails for $305. There are others.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.