Napco P3200 & DST

Hi alll,

Been awhile since I've haunted these forums, but I know it's a great place to get info.

I just heard that they just legally changed the definition of daylight savings time. I'm wondering how this will affect my P3200 system. Will I have to turn off DST and set the clock manually twice a year, or will Napco come out with an upgrade? And how do upgrades work on the P3200 systems -- is it something that can be uploaded, or do you have to replace the firmware chip?

I'm one of those dreaded DIY-er's, so I don't have any kind of maintenance contract.

Thanks much,

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer
Loading thread data ...

You're fortunate that you selected a Napco P3200 for your system. The fix is easy. In the Napco Quickloader software open the "Panel Selection" window and click the "Time Zone - DST" tab. There you can set the DST Start and DST End day, week and month as well as the time of day (usually 2:00 am) when the change should take place.

If you don't have the software, go to my website and download it for free. You'll need a Napco PCI-Mini to connect your laptop to the alarm. If you need one, I sell them online. If you need help, whether you need hardware or not, feel free to contact me. I've installed hundreds of P3200 systems and programmed countless more.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Thanks for the info -- sounds easy enough. I will need to pick up a PCI-MINI from you sometime soon.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

No problem. They're on the website. Just type PCI-MINI into the search tool on my site and hit [enter]. You can download the software for free.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Tim I'd like to give you fair warning before you connect anything you own to Robert Bass' web site. He's a convicted felon for pulling a gun on someone and is responsible for the death of someone through negligence. He can't be licensed to install alarm systems and has been investigated twice by the Florida state authorities, for skirting the laws govening alarm sales. He's got numerous unanswered complaints at the Florida Better Business Bureau and has a long .... long documented record in this Newsgroup of lying to and misleading end users into thinking he has knowledge of the latest equipment available. The program that he is offering to you to download is proprietary information, put out by Napco and in their limitations is says for the exclusive use of alarm installers only.

His method here is to demean alarm installation companys so that he can convince end users into buying equipment from him. At the present time he resides in South America Brazil and at presesnt, it just so happens that his phone system went down and there's no way for him to receive phone calls between the US and Brazil. Hows THAT for service?

Take heed before you deal with this miscreant.

Reply to
Jim

Jim, thanks for your comments. I'm well aware of the fireworks that have been part of this newsgroup for the past bazillion years...

I've ordered products from Mr. Bass in the past and had great service. I've also spoken to him on the phone in the past regarding installation questions -- again great service.

I know a lot of folks in the alarm business would like to keep people like me from installing my own systems. But hey -- I'm a software engineer by trade, and if you want to buy your own compilers and development tools, there's nothing from keeping you guys from writing your own software -- including competing with the software I write. I don't understand why some fields feel their products and information should be exclusive to those "in the club"...

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

You're one on the "plus" side then. There are a good deal more individuals that have posted here with real "horror stories" to tell about his "great service".

What a crock!! We could care less what you do in your own home. Build yourself a boat in your living room if you want. Or an airplane. I doubt the Coast Guard or the FAA are going to care either way. Just make sure that when it comes time to "test" the result you meet all the required certification standards. The same thing applies to your alarm. There's no sense in burning your house down around your ears or winding up with so many false alarms you're afraid to arm your system just so you could save a few bucks.

Perhaps you should dig a little deeper into the root cause of the problem here. Hint: It has nothing to do with us being "against DIY".

Reply to
Frank Olson

You hit the nail on the head, Tim.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Tim, I can't believe that you truly believe that this is about DIY'ers. No one here or in the installation trade, that I know of, have the least bit of interest in the fact that you choose to install your own system. I am nowhere in your area and even if you were, if you are going to install a system yourself, your just simply not my customer. There are enough places on the internet that you or anyone can obtain whatever it is that you need to install your own system. You don't even enter into the equation when it comes to vieing for business. If you are the norm, you will make mistakes that you'll never be aware of and hopefully it will never cause you harm. As I'm sure you can well appreciate that from your experience with people you've come across, who try to do your job from an amatures perspective.

The issues with Robert Bass is that he is a black mark on this industry. He's a liar a thief, a criminal, and irrisponsible. His entire history and demeanor in this group and in his personal life is an embarrassment to all the people in this industry who've tried to clean it up through many many years. If it were just a history in this group, it's possible that your suggestion of competition here were the cause. However, his conduct goes back to prior to the existance of this Newsgroup to an Aviation group that he was thrown out of, for doing the very same thing he's done to people here, for years. What he does to people here and to this group is not incidental and exclusive to this group, therefore it is intentional.

If you've had success in dealing with him, you are a rarity as compared to the others who've posted in this group, as a result of his bad business practices. For years he's lied about his background and experience in the industry and for the sole purpose of deceiving end users who come here into buying equipment from him. He's been investigated once by the authorities in Florida for skirting laws and another investigation is presently in progress. He's a felon and can't be licensed but provides services that require him to have a license. Thus his reason for being out of the country at the present time. I hear that he is also being sactioned by some manufacturers and suppliers, at this time, for misrepresenting himself regarding the use of their products.

Tim, you makes yer choices and ya takes yer chances. I've been in this Newgroup since about 97 or 98, and Bass is as slippery, slimey and nasty a sneaky snake as I've ever seen. Beware. You may choose to do your own system and I'd be happy to give you whatever help or advice as I can, in this forum, but there's plenty of places on line that would be a lot safer to do business with than him.

Reply to
Jim

Jim,

I do appreciate your comments. This is the most 'civil' thread on Mr. Bass I've seen in a long time. I've poked my head in here a number of times since about 1999, and it seems like so many threads just turn into name-calling. It turns me off when I see people resorting to calling names like "Goofy" or "Basshole". If there are issues, lets stick to the issues, and be civil about it (this thread, so far, has remained that way). But frankly I've seen Mr. Bass give a lot of helpful info here, only to have the thread turn into name-calling (and yes he does it too). It's highly unprofessional.

I did look over the BBB complaint page and it does concern me a bit. Mr. Bass, do you have any comments as to why there were 19 cases opened, with many closed unsatisfactorily? That's the kind of hard facts that make me wonder. I've given you the benefit of the doubt many times over the past 6 years (even had a monitoring contract with you for several at our own home) so I'm not trying to "start something", just trying to gain hard info. If you've replied about this in the past, an could point me to that (e.g. via a google groups link) that would be wonderful as well.

Thanks again, all. I do appreciate the opinions, no matter what they are, when they're presented in an adult manner.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

Yes, just one. I tried to resolve a couple of complaints where customers really tried to take advantage (returning merchandise they broke in one case). The BBB wanted me to go to arbitration over it. I declined and they marked us as "unsatisfactory". Ever since then if I got anything from them I'd deal with the customer directly but not bother communicating with the BBB.

One complaint was over merchandise "not delivered". The customer called and asked about a product. I said it was backordered and might not be available for over a month but I could either take his name and number and notify him when they were in or take the order and ship it when it arrived at the distributor. The client opted to make the purchase and wait. A month went by and the product was still on backorder. The client didn't tell me anything; just sent a letter to the BBB and issued a chargeback. If he had called I'd have refunded him the same day. I explained that to the BBB. They said "a month is too long to hold the customer's money". Idiots!

What I've found is that the BBB in our area does an excellent job of protecting the rights of its members. If you're not already a member they act like judge, jury and executioner. I figure I lose a few sales a month because people check and get scared off. The alternative is to spend a lot of time back and forth trying to resolve petty complaints that could easily be handled directly with the customer. Since I have only just so many hours in a day to work I say the heck with the BBB. They're only a tiny bit more important than Jiminex.

BTW, the fellow who calls himself Alarminex has apparently (I have him filtered) been very polite in his comments recently. If you'd like to know what he's really like, do a Google search on his "alarminex" and any of the most vile, hate-filled words and phrases in the American idiom. You'll find that not everything is as it seems, especially not the "new, improved, polite" Alarminex.

One more interesting complaint letter was received from the BBB. Someone from Waco, Texas claimed that he paid me $9,000 in cash and received nothing. Try to imagine someone saying they sent $9,000 in cash to an online store. Now try to imagine a BBB investigator dumb enough to believe such a story. Next do a Google search on "G Morgan" and "Waco" in this newsgroup and you'll figure out almost as fast as I did who the complainant was -- one of the regulars who fill this newsgroup with vitriol every day.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Oh my oh my! Didn't you forget to tell him how you've been trying to find out who I am for years and years and I'm just too smart for you Fat Ass? How many telephone calls have you made to people in my area, trying to find out information about me? Havent you called people up in Canada to try and find out where Frank works too? Gooooooolllllly ..... now THAT otta get someone a little angry at ya ....... don't ya think there ..... Fat Ass? Now why would you be doing that? Because you want to thank me for pointing out the fact that your an arrogant bastard and have totally ruined this Newsgroup and others as you've done in Usenet for over 10 years? I'd say you deserve a lot more than someone calling you exactly what you are ....... now, wouldn't you?

After all, can you really equate a little profanity against all of nasty vile things you've done to dozens and dozens of people, who are no longer in this group anymore because of you? I mean, how fair would it be if only you could cause people to leave this Newsgroup because of your vindictive pompous conduct. If you can do it then why can't someone else do things that cause disruption too?

Now THAT might be true ...... after all, I'd say that was a pretty light response considering that you actually contacted his employer and told lies about him to get him fired from his job ..........

Reply to
Jim

This is not the way the BBB deals with a complaint. Robert is out and out lying.

No, Robert. You're not telling the whole story (or you're being untruthful). What "product" are we talking about here? I'd like to verify this "story".

Liar! The BBB does not respond in this manner and tries very hard to provide fair service on complaints to both member and non-member companies. To do otherwise would leave them open to "libel" or similar civil proceedings.

I would hope that the number of people that wind up being "scared off" are a lot more than just a "few".

Your efforts at doing so are on a par with your "promotion" skills. You've posted a number of HTML messages into the group that amounted to nothing more than meaningless gibberish (I'm sure it did a fat lot toward "improving your search engine positioning" too!). It's because you don't "handle things directly with the customer" that they have to resort to complaining to the BBB. How many posts have been made into this Group *from your customers* that are frustrated by not being able to contact you otherwise?

Right. Eleven sales a day... two hours on the phone with each one "coaching" them through their install... That does only leave two hours to deal with complaints.... Tsk!!!

Better yet, "Google" on Robert L Bass Liar". You'll see posts the like of which will make your skin crawl.

Post the complaint letter! Let's deal with this together. This sort of thing is a blemish on the entire industry.

I can't imagine it at all. I know how the BBB operates. My company is a member and I can honestly say you are *full of shit*!

Your "imagination" is working overtime. The BBB would never involve themselves in something like this without legitimate evidence. By this I mean a cancelled cheque, credit card receipt or other physical material from the complaintant. I invite you once again to *prove what you've just stated.*

I know Graham. He's a licensed installer in Texas and would never involve himself in something like this. What I do remember is that you tried to get him fired by sending his employer a bogus complaint backed up with a very selective group of forwarded posts from this Newsgroup. Graham emailed me everything you sent his boss. It only took him a few minutes online to discount everything you said and for his boss to agree that you are a *total asshole*. I was going to say that "either you've got a hell of a lot of nerve or are the dumbest sack of shit in Brazil", but I figure you qualify on *both counts*.

To Matt Ion: I apologize for the "noise". I just couldn't remain silent in light of all the obvious lies Robert's just posted. Take some time to Google Robert L Bass and I think you'll finally understand why he is so despised in this Group. Heck... Have a look at how he "justified" posting HTML and PR messages only recently. If you still think that "peace" in this Newsgroup can be achieved by my silence, then I figure your understanding of the dynamics involved is as compromised as Robert's ability to tell the truth.

Frank Olson

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

Ejad Calm Down Sound Familiar? "Give me the wisdom to know the difference"

Reply to
Bass's Best Friend

Geez Jim, within a day of me posting thanking you (and everyone else) for keeping this thread civil (mentioning name-calling in particular), you respond like that?

If you really think this guy is a crook, then you need to present your case in a civil, level-headed manner. Bass has presented a plausible explanation regarding his experiences with the BBB. I have no idea whether or not it's true, but it was plausible, and it was presented in a civil manner. To counter with name-calling actually makes me believe Bass more.

I'm on nobody's "side" here. I'm just saying that we need to act like grown-ups. And both Mr. Bass and his opponents are repeatedly guilty of getting into child-like arguments. Do you folks run your businesses in the same way you post on this group?

I've communicated with several of you in the past, and everyone I've talked to seems to be helpful. Why can't we cut the childish crap?

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

I never filed a complaint with the BBB in my life.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Prove I had anything to do with that you lying sack of shit. In fact, prove that such a letter even exists! You can't, because it doesn't.

Tell everyone how I went "real life" with you. Tell me because I want to know. You keep saying you called my boss to try and get me fired because I went "RL", so prove it -- what exactly did I do?

I'm going to assume you're not going to answer me because you know you've been caught in those two lies. I also assume you'll claim you have me kill-filed so you won't have to --- that's because you're a coward.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Thanks Frank. You're 100% correct, I had nothing to do with the alleged complaint. Perhaps Fat-Ass will post a copy of the letter since apparently attachments are allowed in the NG now!

Reply to
G. Morgan

TIM ........ get a f****ng clue already!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Please explain exactly WHY?

Bass has presented a plausible explanation

Well Gooooooooooooooollllllllyy! That outta really screw up my day.

Nope and this isn't a business. It's a hobby. Bass has corrupted this Newsgroup for years. His attitude is, No one runs this group. No one can tell anyone what to do here. And if you don't like it you can leave. If that's his attitude then there's nothing more to be said. If no one takes him to task for that, then everyone can have the same attitude. As long as one person decides that he's not going to abide by the rules of social contract in a group, then there will always be chaos. It doens't make any difference whether I participate in the turmoil or not. Someone always will take offense at what Bass says because he purposely says offensive things to people who disagree with him. You've just seen what he recently did to Firetek. There will ALWAYS be someone that he will irritate into conflict.

I really don't care if you're on one "side" or the other. I will continue to be as offensive as I can be, to disrupt this group the same as Bass believes he's got a right to do. I think that EVERYONE who ever comes here should post the most obnoxious things that they care to post, whether it be for or against Bass. As long as there is turmoil, newbies coming here will see it and leave. That's exactly what should happen. It is exactly what Bass doesn't want to happen. And that's fine with me. Those that know me from the years I've been here, know what my technical and business capabilities are. That's all that counts. You're free to think what ever the hell pleases you. Contrary to my original purpose in coming here, to what I thought was going to be a fantastic opportunity to give and receive information from my peers .......... I'm not here to please anyone ....... anymore.

Being much more truthful than FAT ASS I can tell you with all honestly that my present purpose in being here, is to get some laughs and to make Bass as miserable as possible by disrupting this Newsgroup until he stops.

Because your version of cutting the childish crap means that Fat ASS continues doing what he does to the trade, to people and to this Newsgroup with impunity. And that's NEVER going to happen. EVER! He can post HTML, or LMNOPQRST until it comes out of his big fat ass, and as long as he's here f****ng up this group.... so will I.

Got it?

Reply to
Jim

Nope. You're nowhere near as important to me as you seem to think you are.

Not in this lifetime.

The real Jiminex emerges from behind the "polite" facade.

None. I once asked a distributor friend if he knew you after you flamed him behind his back. He said yes, but prefers not to speak of you at all. I wonder why that is. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.