Napco Netlink

Anybody playing with the Napco Netlink NL-Mod and Netlink CS Software NL-CSRCS yet? It looks interesting. It would probably be an interesting application for a school district or similar type operation with multiple sites networked over WAN. Might be good for some of my business clients with multiple sites too.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

Oops, thats NL-CSRCV for the software.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Looks a little pricey for individual users, but it still might be interesting for multiple site WAN users. I haven't got dealer costs for the softeware and module yet, but the retial prices I see listed on the net are a bit more than I expected.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

In case you haven't already noticed, GE and DSC also settled in at the 'around $200.' point so why should Napco be any different.

At first, the costs were prohibitive because most retail stores didn't have an internet hookup and the price to get one wasn't reasonable. Now you can get a slow ADSL drop for around $25. and it is suitable for this however you need a static ip at the receive end and having a static ip at the sending end would also be a plus but you can use one of those no-ip programs on the send point. Nobody will give you a deal on static ip service: TW wants over $100. a month for a static ip and SBC wants close to a $100. also - that is total bs.

So, not only does the cost of the board need to come down the cost for static ips' also needs to come down. You can plug a network card into your computer for less than $10. but to plus this network card into your alarm panel is $200. This is absurd. There is no power supply - you must provide the 12VDC. DMP has panels for around $250. with it built-in which translates to a $50. panel with the $200. interface. The prices are going to need to take a huge drop and the interface needs to be included in every panel to bring economy into the picture.

Having said all that it does report in once every 60 seconds and if it misses three report-in periods you get an alarm indication so it does offer true line security for just under $200. a point. Does anyone remember when some phone companies offered line security for $7.-$10. per month? The SCU was around $195. way back then too.

Napco is offering the complete package with one remote unit for around $550. and each additional point is just shy of $200. so its doesn't sound like a bad deal at this point because the long range radios or cell units are in the same ball park and they don't offer any security at all unless you spring for the high-end AA monitoring from alarmnet and then they do poll every six minutes but they get $30 bucks a month - now you can bypass them for close to nothing.

Unlike DSC's product which forces you (or your central station) to purchase a new co receiver, Napco doesn't make receivers so all you need is an extra pc and the software. Most of us already have an extra pc or two and we already have an internet hookup. So once you switch to a static ip you are in business.

So, its not as bad as it may sound upfront.

Reply to
<thesatguy1

I should have also pointed out that most Napco distributors have probably never heard of this product, won't have it in stock, and can't offer you any assistance with it.

Reply to
<thesatguy1

Hmm. Consider the possibilities. Someone with a static IP address and multiple VoIP "lines" in ummm, Brazil could perform monitoring service without having to deal with an idiot on the DBPR. :^)

Cha-ching!

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Ah, yes... but then there's the "UL Listing"... Or are you now advocating that it's not necessary? "Cha-ching!"

Reply to
Frank Olson

Frank,

Now that you bring it up, that's one of my BIG complaints about some of Napco's equipment... For starters, the StarLink radio seems like a great product, but NO UL listing... If I want a UL radio, I have to stick with Telular, or Ademcrap...........Regards, Russ

Reply to
Russell Brill

Who calls a distributor for tech support on a product?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I noticed this a while back, I wonder who's rebranding who?

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Mark Leuck

No one that I know of. Tech support on this product is avaiable. I'd suggest that you call Napco directly.

You *can* always call Bahia... While this may appear to look like Napco is "outsourcing" their tech support, at least it's still on "our side" of the Atlantic... The "upside" is you get to talk to someone with an "Amurican" accent (which may be a little more tolerable than some guy who can't speak English at all)... On some days you may even be able to talk to someone that speaks Portugese, Yiddish, Dutch, and a smattering of German, Spanish, French, and Inuit (depending on the speed of his Internet connection and whether-or-not the translator website is available). The down side is there's no "Troll-Free" line... yet... :-)

Hey Robert!!! Fix the damn pop-ups... Winfixer is coming around again and it's *annoying*!!!

Reply to
Frank Olson

Hey, thanks for making this post.

I just think I'm gonna save this one, for the next time you want to talk about offering central station monitoring to someone.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.