Napco Gemini P3200 area?

Any idea? After power up a Gemini P3200 control panel, i get the keypad message "enter code to access area". Any idea? How can i get into programming???

thanks in advance!

Reply to
spyros
Loading thread data ...

Master code printed on label and PCI-Mini?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

?? ???????, 10 ??? ??????? 2015 - 11:23:29 ?.?. UTC+

3, ? ??????? Bob La Londe ?? ?????:

I tried printed master code but nothing happened... tomorrow i'll try via p ci mini...

Reply to
spyros

I tried printed master code but nothing happened... tomorrow i'll try via pci mini...

I think the default user 1 code on most new Napco systems (except the P800/1) is 123. The code on the label does NOT work as a user code. It only works as a dealer programming and remote programming code.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

?? ???????, 11 ??? ??????? 2015 - 12:20:02 ?.?. UTC+

Is there any possibility to be different keypad address than those that is programmed on the panel? and if so is there any way to change keypad addres s (GEM-DXRP1) and default the panel?

Reply to
spyros

WHAT?!?!

Sorry, I thought you were a dealer having a brain fart. You sound more like an end user in way over their head from that.

Yes, you can individually program the keypad addresses. Its in the installer manual. In fact on a P816, P1632, P3200, P9600, and X255 you HAVE TO set each keypad address unless there is only one. Most keypads arrive default programmed as keypad one.

Yes, you can default the panel. Its in the installer manuals. But, why? Its not going to change the address or other info programmed in the keypads.

Before you hose it all down why don't you use your laptop and your dealer software and your PCI-Mini and see how the panel is actually programmed. Why would you want to default it and start from scratch with every single thing.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

essage "enter code to access area". Any idea? How can i get into programmin g???

Could be a few things, need more info.

Could be a partitioned panel and the panel was shut down at an inappropriat e time.

Could be looking for a an access control code.

I'm sure you have but I've got to ask, did you push the reset button? Are you using the same kepads and same quantity of kepads that were install ed with the panel?

Try resetting the keypad(s) by pushing keys 1234 all at the same time for a few seconds and see if the keypad resets.

If it's a keypad compatibility code mismatch you can sometimes change the c ompatibility code by hooking the keypad red and black leads to a 12vdc sour ce (without connecting any other keypad wires) and go into the keypad confi guration mode. (11123, function button.) Or another method you can try is go to the keypad configuration mode then to the compatibility section and e nter 8888. as a new code. Some panels have this as a backup default code.

Reply to
Jim

Bob .... spyros is the guy from Greece who's been coming here for years.

Reply to
Jim

Napco...I have always called it Crapco. Many years ago, working for some company, I came across such a system. I came away with the thought of "What a convoluted system" I am not attacking anyone who loves these to death. But the logic and the reasoning of how these engineers who came up with this, to me, is so convoluted. I used to have a whole bunch of them from having pulled them out of jobs, some brand new. I finally threw them out. The keypad was not user friendly in my estimation. I find that the most important thing after built-in programming abilities, is how easy is it for the average (and below average) consumer to use it correctly without complications. Let's face it, we have all met Joe, the user who needs to be told everything at least 5 times before he begins to get it. Yes, I have programmed them in the past, it is now just a fading memory. Kind of like a horrible accident that you once experienced with all the pain, and then, after a while, you do not remember the pain anymore or how it felt, only that you did go thru such an experience.

Spyros, I feel your pain. It's time to cut off the members. Save your country now! Greece needs to make it thru the present hard time. Don't weigh down your country anymore with these systems. Cut off your supplier now. Perhaps someday they may be able to rebuild yet. All in good jest, of course.

Reply to
E DAWSON

?? ???????, 12 ??? ??????? 2015 - 7:44:51 ?.?. UTC+3 , ? ??????? E DAWSON ?? ????:

:) thanks guys for help!

i dont have enough experience with Napco Gemini series. My experience is on other brands (paradox, ademco, dsc, caddx, texecom). That's why i am askin g for help! Anyway tomorrow morning on the desk i'll try pci mini and what Jim suggests!

Reply to
spyros

Spyros, just curious here. Are you fluent in English or are you feeding your text thru a translator of some kind??

As a complement, your English is very good for not so English guy. My Greek is non-existent so I have to use a translator. Sorry, if it came out wrong. :-)

?????? ??? ????????? ???? ??? ???. ???? ???????, ?????????? ??? ????????. ????? ??? ???? ????????. Les

Reply to
ABLE1

???????? 2015 - 7:44:51 ?.?. UTC+3, ? ??????? E DAWSON ? ?????:

s on other brands (paradox, ademco, dsc, caddx, texecom). That's why i am a sking for help! Anyway tomorrow morning on the desk i'll try pci mini and w hat Jim suggests!

??????? ???? ?? ?? ???.

?????????? ??? ? ????????.

? ????????.

hi Les!

i dont use a translator, but to be honest i dont thing that my English are so good as you mention :) anyway thanks a lot for your compliment! In Greece all children learn English at school. Public and private schools also. At the age of 8 we take the first English lessons at public schools, and most of us we continoue English language at private language schools. M ost of us in Greece, speak English. I practise them a lot cause i am ham ra dio operator with hours of on air gsos (chat), also i have close relatives in Scotchdalle Arizona and at Metairie New Orleans. Also via my work on ala rm systems, i practise them a lot cause i also make imports. That was my short biography :) Your translator is 75% ok! What you want to say is:

?????? ??? ?? ? ???????? ???? ??? ????! ????????? ??? ???? ??? ????? ??? ???????. ?? ????? ??? ?? ?? ????????. Les

more was syntax errors of the translator! thanks again ;)

Reply to
spyros

hi Les!

i dont use a translator, but to be honest i dont thing that my English are so good as you mention :) anyway thanks a lot for your compliment! In Greece all children learn English at school. Public and private schools also. At the age of 8 we take the first English lessons at public schools, and most of us we continoue English language at private language schools. Most of us in Greece, speak English. I practise them a lot cause i am ham radio operator with hours of on air gsos (chat), also i have close relatives in Scotchdalle Arizona and at Metairie New Orleans. Also via my work on alarm systems, i practise them a lot cause i also make imports. That was my short biography :) Your translator is 75% ok! What you want to say is:

?????? ??? ?? ????????? ???? ??? ????! ????????? ??? ???? ??? ???????? ???????. ?? ????? ??? ???? ????????. Les

more was syntax errors of the translator! thanks again ;)

Next time you visit your relatives in Scottsdale take a run down to Yuma and I'll help teach you some of the logic (or lack thereof) of programming Napco panels.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

?? ???????, 12 ??? ??????? 2015 - 10:36:14 ?.?. UTC+

thanks Bob for your invitation, i'll be glad to meet you and take a Napco l esson :)

Reply to
spyros

I've used Ademco/Honeywell, FBI, DSC, Apex, Moose, Interlogix/GE The only p anel that ever gave me more choices in programming than Napco was Apex. But that was too ahead of it's time. As far as I know (now) there is no panel on the market that gives an installer all of the choices that Napco does. N ow .... I can understand that in 95% of the installations you don't need al l those choices so it's likely better for those who are among the programmi ng challenged to use the lesser panels and just pass on the complicated ins tallation that require timed events, isolated operations, dual interior zon es, automated functions, control of users.

Here's an example. I know it's not something you would probably ever run in to but I can set up a panel to arm, and disarm on it's own at different tim es of the day on different days of the year, excluding or including holiday s and can allow certain users access only on certain days of the year and i n the meantime be turning lights or other devices on and off on at certain times of the day and days of the year while being able to remote arm and di sarm the panel and receive verbal confirmation of open zones or zones in al arm condition? Among other things.

With that type of control, what can your customer ask you to do that you wo uld have to say no to?

Now, I could be wrong at this time in history, (because I haven't checked o ut any other panels lately) but I do believe that in spite of the fact that the Gemini series Napco panels have been out for maybe 15 or twenty years now, they still have programming functions that newer panels manufacturers haven't even thought of yet. At this point I think that probably only the H AI panels can do more, but ..... as I say, at this point in time, I haven' t and probably wouldn't check out another manufacturer because I have every thing I need in the Napco panels now.

This is not to say that other equipment isn't worthy it's just that I figur e it's best to use equipment that can do whatever I EVER want it to do when I need it, rather than have to pass up a job or have to say no to anything a client ever asks me to do.

Now, aside from that, I know that with equipment out there installed for ov er 35 years and still working it is a testimony to it's longevity. I would place it top of the line as far as hardyness compared to at least DSC and H oneywell that I consider being made out of tinfoil and compressed mud. When I pick up a DSC panel, it's like picking up a piece of cardboard inside a tin can. Cheap plastic on the transmitters. Can't even open them without ma rring the covers. cheap, cheap, cheap. And Honeywell is not that far behind in quality. At the least, Napco is still using fiberglass printed circuit boards and 16 gage steel cabinets. I've noticed that the components seem to be getting cheaper looking but nothing compared to the crap that DSC uses. On the quality of parts alone it's enough to dissuade anyone with a sense of wanting to offer quality equipment to their clients. However I'm sure th at most use it because it's cheaper than all the rest.

As far as usability, I have no problems whatsoever in teaching my level of client how to use Napco systems. I do high level residential and very littl e commercial so maybe it's an end user quality issue. I can certainly under stand that Joe's Pizza would not know how to or even need to know how to op erate a Napco 9600. Which is why there is the or P801 that can be programme d in about 10 minutes from the keypad and a young chimpanzee could be taugh t to use it.

I'm sure your experience with Napco was traumatic as most people find their programming rather arduous. But, like most things, once you learn it, it's a piece of cake. Also, once learning to program Napco systems, I can progr am any panel just by looing at the manual for a few minutes. And, unlike H oneywell, Napco manuals are in pretty logical order once you have the codi ng procedure down. In the past, Napco keypad programming was a bear for mos t people but now with the PCD programming application it's easy as can be. I very seldom have(or will try) to keypad program. It's just too easy to ho okup the laptop. And now ..... using the Starlink GSM radios, ....... rem ote programming takes place in a flash. No waiting for handshakes and kisso ffs. Once you make connection, it's like 10 seconds to do a down/upload. CO OOL!!

It's all in the choice, the level of installations we do and the experience s each of us has that leans us towards our equipment of choice. Each of us having reason to rationalize our choices. Every piece of equipment out ther e has it's pluses and negatives. We can only hope that everyone makes the b est choices for themselves and their clients.

Reply to
Jim

It has been 123456 for years. Did they change it?

Reply to
Jim

To my knowledge the default user code has never been 123456. The default dealer code is six digits, but it doesn't start with 1.

On fixed digit length panels the default user 1 code is 1234 and on those that allow variable digit lengths its 123. Has been for 16 years or so that I know of. Atleast with the Gemini panels. I'm not that familiar with the older MA panels.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Oh yeah ..... I was thinking of ....... ummmm something else.

Reply to
Jim

Spyros, Very good. Thanks for the Bio. I guess I should have reversed the Greek back to English to see if I got it right or something. LOL.

BTW I don't know what newsreader you are using but to make your English a bit better if it has a spell checker, it might help a lot. Not a major issue but just a thought.

Now I can tell my Greek customer/friends that I have been conversing with an alarm guy is Greece. How cool is that???

Have a good day.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Spyros has been coming here for years now. Got to be at least 10 or more ye ars. We used to have people from Africa, South America, New Zealand, Hawaii , a few from Canada and England. Come to think of it, I've been here since about 1996 or 97.

Unfortunately with all the garbage that went on here during the Bass epoch, a lot of people left and never came back. Newsgroups were the major "socia l network" of it's time. Now with Twitter, Facebook, and all the other soc ial networking ..... news groups are no longer popular and those with a lot of participants are only held together by their momentum or old users (lik e us) who shy away from the newer medias. I'd say that the major attractio n to those who participate in Newsgroups is that it's not moderated.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.