Napco GEM-P816

Hi, I recently bought a Napco GEM-P816. I was not provided with the manuals (which I have since found on Google in PDF format, or any of the codes). The panel itself does not have any dealer specific information on it, which pretty much stops me from inquiring with a dealer. I was wondering if there is any possible way to reset the panel to its original factory conditions, or have I been screwed?

Reply to
gatekeep
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Everywhere Man

Errr ... there was no reason for such a nasty reply. And this has nothing to do with not wanting to pay a local company. Excuse me, for choosing to rather do something myself. Does anyone else aside from the knucklehead here have any advice, although apparently, I shouldn't expect much.

Reply to
gatekeep

Reply to
Everywhere Man

Ok, first of all, I'm not asking FOR ANYONE to BAIL me out of ANYTHING. I was just simply asking if there was an easy way to default the panel, thats it. Because I just don't wish to have to resort to an EPROM reader to try and figure out the code.

Reply to
gatekeep

IF installer lockout was enabled, and you don't have the code, you're hosed. The only way to reset a locked-out Napco panel is to send it to Jim Rojas so he can wave a magic wand over it for $20. Are you sure you have the Installer manual, and have tried the proper reset procedure?

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

Reply to
gatekeep

then 9 times out of ten they take any help and run never saying thank you or reporting back on how things came out. sheesh

Reply to
catfish

Sorry, I was racking my brain with this at 2am last night. Anyway, I'm sure I have the proper manauals, Programming Instructions and Installation Instructions. Not clear on the reset procedure however.

Reply to
gatekeep

My advice would be to purchase a new panel/keypad (and not used). There are a number of online resources that would help you with this.

formatting link
If you're not particular on the manufacturer, I'd shy away from Napco for the simple reason that programming their higher end products from the keypad is a real challenge (unless of course the equipment you purchased includes some of their wireless products which sort of "locks you in" to using Napco). Ademco and DSC both make excellent systems that would probably fit your situation and budget.

Frank Olson

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

Whelp let that be a lesson

Reply to
Mark Leuck

There isn't a polished "reset" procedure. Once you have the programming access code you simply go in and change whatever you want. In the manual it lists the default code. Have you tried that?

There is an *unpublished* way to default that panel though I've forgotten the procedure. As others have alluded, Jim Rojas and Bob Campbell, both of whom participate here, know how to reset the board for you. They charge a nominal fee.

If you don't want to bother shipping the board you can just swap it. The P816 is an inexpensive panel and replacing it only takes a few minutes. Programming a new board can be done using a PC (the software is free) or by keypad (not recommended).

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Stupid spell checker. That should have said "published". :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

yah..but you spelled polished correctly so it wunt have picked it up anywhey

| Bass Home Electronics | 4883 Fallcrest Circle | Sarasota · Florida · 34233 | 941-866-1100 Sales & Tech Support |

formatting link
| =============================>

| | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I typed "poblished" and the SC chose "polished".

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Why do you even bother replying? Some people choose to do things themselves for several reasons. Maybe they have a limited income, or maybe they want to expand their knowledge so they ask for some help in a newsgroup related to the subject. Those that don't want to help should just not respond. But then their are others, such as yourself, who seem to feel a need to elevate themselves above others. Why are you so angry? Is your penis small?

Reply to
Seeker

Reply to
Everywhere Man

LOL. We have a clear "yes" to the original question.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

If you will write me off the newsgroup, I will try and step you through getting into programming. Chances are good that your system is not locked out or has not had the dealer access code changed. If you are in the US, perhaps we can connect via the phone and I can program it from here for you.

I don't know what got everyone in a dither. Your question and request for knowledge is generally what the newsgroup is all about. I have not been on regularly in the last few months. I see a lot of new names, but you can usually get really good advice here.

Regards, Allan

Reply to
Allan Waghalter

Yup.

You're screwed.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.