napco 9600 stopped communicating via serial connection

I've had a setup for about 4 years with a Napco Gemini 9600 communicating to HomeSeer without too much trouble until recently. I can no longer communicate with the panel using the RS232 kit. The serial ports on the HomeSeer computer are working fine. I've also tried connecting via the QuickLoader software from a second computer. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot the panel? Does one component fail most of the time (e.g. the panel, automation chip, RS232 converter)? Beyond cutting the power to the panel and disconnecting the backup battery for a few minutes is there something else to try if the panel communication is locked up?

I can still arm the panel from the keypads so at least the "security" functions seem to be working.

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
cmjindy
Loading thread data ...

If you're a dealer, just call Napco technical support.

If you're not ..........

Reply to
Jim

Chris,

Rather than power cycle the panel, try this. In the upper right corner of the P9600 control panel locate jumper J5. Pull the jumper off the top two "normal" pins. Place the jumper on the lower two "keypad configure" pins. This restarts the microprocessor. It is safe to do this with the panel running.

You tried using another PC so the problem is definitely on the Napco side of the system. One critical part of the Napco HA kit is the PCI-MINI. It looks like an ordinary DB9 serial connector but it's actually got a voltage converter inside it. Once in a rare while those can fail. They're cheap to replace -- under $21 retail. If you want to try swapping it with a new one contact me. I'll send you one to try and if it solves the problem you can buy it. Otherwise, just return it.

If that doesn't solve the problem, you *might* need a new panel. However, on the off chance that the processor itself is at fault, you can try upgrading it. Call if you want and I'll get you a replacement chip. As to the question about common failure modes, Napco's panels don't usually go bad at all. I installed Napco systems for over 20 years and the panels rarely needed service.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I have only had two issues. Not long after I started installing Napco I was sent a bunch of eproms for a highly reccomended upgrade on the P1632. A few years later I had several P1632s with failed memory chips. Napco replaced them all.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

DSC has done much the same in the past. I'm sure some of you will remember the problems with the PC-3000 and the early version Skyroute. While replacing over 130 chipsets in the former and over 20 on the latter, DSC has generally been pretty good stuff. It's still pretty easy to install and program.

Reply to
Frank Olson

We mostly used the P3200 and P9600 on our own installations. There were occasional problems but nothing of any significance. I only installed a few P1632 systems over the years though.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Yep, we know how far behind you are in the latest technology.

But ....... we also know that soon, it really wont matter...... anymore.

Reply to
Jim

"Robert L Bass" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion : g72dnYI2cdqVmvbVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

bAss took his fishing rod

Now he put the bait on the hook..

Now he swing the line... and wait for a catch...

And now he try to bull shit his way to the fish about his experience as an installer...

now let see if he can get a catch!!

Reply to
Petem

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.