N.D.A.'s

Greetings Group,

How many of you have had customers want you to sign a N.D.A. (non-disclosure agreement)?

How did you deal with it or them?

After 42 years in the business I had one ask me yesterday for a N.D.A...

I told them this morning I'd never be back..

If they didn't trust me, no amount of paper would protect them...

Reply to
RTS
Loading thread data ...

Rocky,

For me ZERO on the NDA. However, I have had one ask me to sign a HIPPA Contractor Agreement. Has to do with a medical facility that I would not disclose any patient information that I might see while I was on sight doing a service call. It was about 7 pages long and in part said that they or their authorized services would have the right to search my place of business to see if I had any information or paperwork in my possession relating to any of their patients, etc. etc. No way was I going to sign it.

What I did do was to melt it down to 3 pages of what was important and presented to the Executive Director who then sent it to their attorney and then returned it signed, exactly as I had typed.

I had another customer that was already under my contract, after new management wanted me to sign their agreement, bla bla bal. It was so bad, they wanted me to show a much higher liability insurance than I had, plus increase the insurance on my service van and a bunch more crap. I continued monitoring for another 5 months to finish the term. I guess they found someone else stupid enough to sign the thing.

You have the absolute right to be comfortable, period.

As I have read elsewhere on a individuals tag line.

"I have never lost a dollar, on a job I did not get."

Makes sense to me.

WOW!! 42 years. You must be older than dirt!!!

Later,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

then upgraded to the 1004 :-)

*Rocky T. Squirrel, esq.*

Reply to
RTS

On 5/15/2018 6:49 AM, RTS wrote: > Greetings Group, > > How many of you have had customers want you to sign a N.D.A. (non-disclosure agreement)? > > How did you deal with it or them? > > After 42 years in the business I had one ask me yesterday for a N.D.A... > > I told them this morning I'd never be back.. > > If they didn't trust me, no amount of paper would protect them... >

I had one client in the 23 years I was a contractor ask for an NDA. They were developing an improved production line in a competitive industry. I added a limited five year time period, and a morals clause that invalidated the agreement, and told them if every manager present didn't sign and initial the penned in morals clause I was walking out. It was short and fairly reasonable. I probably did 400K-500K in business for or directly because of that customer after that.

As a machinist I get people asking for NDAs and IP agreements all the time. Most are so restrictive they would theoretically prevent me from working for anybody but them. I tell them to go pound sand. I also say any IP and or NDA combined longer than 2 pages in large font will be discarded unread.

The additional liability agreements that started appearing from everybody from about the aughts were pretty onerous. One actually claimed the right to be able to tell me to fire people in my employ. I never signed a single one, and I notified every single one that I would understand if they got somebody else, but if they failed to honor the terms of their contract they would be liable for all losses and damages. Amazingly I kept all the good customers and lost all the ones who were a huge pain in the ass. 50/50 split right down the middle. It improved my profitability to lose the problem customers.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Hey Bob, I thought you were in the middle of welding a bandsaw blade?? When do have time to stop in here?? LOL Welcome back anytime.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

I haven't had time to silver braze that blade yet. Its on my to-do list for today though.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
*Rocky T. Squirrel, esq.*

Reply to
RTS

"Back in the day" I found brazing a bandsaw blade tedious. Always wanted to build the wheel radius in the ends before actually brazing. Then we got a bandsaw with a built-in welder. Taaa!!! Daaa!!!

Reply to
ABLE1

Never had anyone ask me for one.

I never did any really big companies so that could be the reason.

Anyway, I guess it would depend upon the conditions if I would sign one or not.

Otherwise they'd have to settle for a "Pinky swear" and "cross my heart and hope to die" not to tell anyone.

Reply to
Jim Davis

I think I've got you all beat.

First panel I installed was an Ademco 100 in a (I think) 203 metal box usin g Bright Star #6 1 1/2 volt batteries. There was a key switch and meter too , but I forgot their part numbers. bell and box. No time delay. Used a doo r strike.

I did a few service calls on some McCulloch panels and actually built a woo den dowel screen.

Jeeeeezze I feel old......

Some of my friends say that my first alarm system was a rock over a cave do or tied to a vine.

Reply to
Jim Davis

What was the number of that Ademco alarm that used a double wall box with meter and key?

holding the cases together with "cherry" switches held open by the long screws..

(So if you drilled the box ans shorted the two walls together the alarm would go off, or if you backed out the screws the alarm would go off..)

Heavy sucka to if I remember right..

*Rocky T. Squirrel, esq.

Reply to
RTS

"Back in the day" I found brazing a bandsaw blade tedious. Always wanted to build the wheel radius in the ends before actually brazing. Then we got a bandsaw with a built-in welder. Taaa!!! Daaa!!!

********* To be honest that's not really even on my wish list. I've got a 4x6 and a 7x12 horizontal. One or the other sees daily use. Sometimes all day long. When I looked up coil stock for the blades I want to use it costs as much (or more) than welded blades. The only way it would marginally be beneficial is if I counted inflation, but then the IRS would tax me on its asset's capital value anyway. The only reason I decided to braze this one was because I ordered it an inch too long and my saw won't take up that much slack. Now what I would like is a big vertical with a deep throat, but I don't need one. A hydraulic shear would be more useful.
Reply to
Bob La Londe

screws

Was that the "AB" bell box ??

I don't remember a meter though.

If you want to see some of the old stuff, Google Wayne Alarm in Lynn Ma. They have an alarm history museum.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Yup!! A number of years ago I had removed a old panel from a building and contacted Wayne Alarms about it. I boxed it up and they paid for the shipping. At this time I can't remember anything more about it, other than it was old.

I can safely say that it was before I had a camera welded to my hip.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

was now..

own battery and relay..

*Rocky T. Squirrel, esq.

Reply to
RTS

Reply to
NickMark

Have several customers I have them signed due to them being Government contractors its required of everyone by the government not a big deal .

Reply to
NickMark

On 5/22/2018 4:33 PM, NickMark wrote: > On Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 9:49:17 AM UTC-4, RTS wrote: >> Greetings Group, >> >> How many of you have had customers want you to sign a N.D.A. >> (non-disclosure agreement)? >> >> How did you deal with it or them? >> >> After 42 years in the business I had one ask me yesterday for a N.D.A... >> >> I told them this morning I'd never be back.. >> >> If they didn't trust me, no amount of paper would protect them... >> >> -- >> >> *Rocky T. Squirrel, esq.* > > Have several customers I have them signed due to them being Government contractors its required of everyone by the government not a big deal . >

I worked for or provided equipment to a few contractors on military installations. I worked directly for the US Army on base, and for the DOJ both through GSA and directly for some agencies. None of them ever asked me to sign an NDA. One job I did was in a secure building. Others were in never open to the public areas of ports and misc other stuff. Now I admit every job I got was because somebody I knew personally asked me to bid it, but I never once had a government agency or a government contractor ask me for an NDA. I even got paid to write the bid spec for a bunch of systems in a new prison. No NDA. I quit doing government contracting about ten years ago. I'd have to look to be sure.

Anyway, its interesting how experiences differ.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Thanks for the reply, Bob

personally I turned down all federal government work requests, mostly because of the lengthy payment return..

(never did like waiting 6-9 months to get paid) and some because of the stupid designs..

*Rocky T. Squirrel, esq.

Reply to
RTS

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.