multiple PTZ on dvr?

I picked up a Speco DVR-4TL and 4 PTZ cams. Looking over the documentation reveals on a single set of RS485 signals that is accessed thru a DA-15 D-sub connector on the back of the unit. Looks like some type of multiplexer would be required but I don't find any Speco product offerings that fill the role.

Ideally, the best candidate for the function would have PTZ controls (joystick?) and camera selector buttons in a console with four-plus RS-485 output pairs. Can you recommend any gear like this?

Thanks.

Reply to
Chuck
Loading thread data ...

I think you just assign an address to each camera. Look over your docs. I do Pelco PTZ over RS422 on Dedicated Micros DVRs that way regularly. Each one has a unique address. Alternatively, if they support control over coax (coaxitron) then whatever camera is selected receives the control signals.

Contact Pelco if you are stuck on their equipment and ask them.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

The manual shows a single connection to a single PTZ camera. The protocols do talk about addressing as you mentioned so I can understand the communication scheme.

Unfortunately, there is only the single set of pins D+ and D- to address all cameras. In all fairness, Speco included a DA-15, D-sub solder-type connector to mate with the rear connector on the DVR. Unfortunately, they did not include a breakout box or cable. It's a bit primitive. I'll call them to clarify later.

Overall, I think I would be better served to find a ptz controller that was a little more refined and just use the dvr for display and record. If you could recommend any gear, I'd sure appreciate it. I sure wish I could have seen this coming -- it's a real good argument for using a pro......

Reply to
Chuck

One cable daisy chain to all the cameras.

Reply to
Hakma

Look through everything. Its probably just a 2 wire daisy chained (in parallel) configuration. There may or may not be a termination setting for the last camera on the chain.

It may seem simpler to use a separate standalone controller, but I assure most times in the long run its better to use the integrated solution. Often that allows for network access AND control.

I know on the DM DVRs and Pelco PTZs I use mostly I can both view and control the cameras across the Internet. There are only a very few instances when its better to have a separate non integrated control. In cases where somebody may need to have access to live viewing and control of a single camera or group of cameras, but not have access to the DVR. I have one facility that fits that bill, and it was mostly done that way due to the paranoia of the customer.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.