Mounting wireless door transmitter?

Don't do that. Mount the transmitter on the wall, and use an external, recessed contact. Fish the wire through the wall to the transmitter. js

Reply to
alarman
Loading thread data ...

I hate when companies mount the transmitter on the MOVING SLAMMING door its a cheap shortcut ... doo like alarman sez.

Sometimes we will cut them into the wall and put a singlegang blank plate over the cut in box...at outlet height.

| > Don't do that. Mount the transmitter on the wall, and use an external, | > recessed contact. Fish the wire through the wall to the transmitter. | > js | >

| Ah, gotcha. thanks. | Bob | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Must be tiny xmtrs. Not much headroom in a ci box. Clever idea, though. js

Reply to
alarman

Is it ok to mount the transmitter on the door and then just chisel out enough of the casing for the magnet or should the transmitter be mounted on the casing. If the transmitter is mounted on the casing, this would mean notching out 1.5" x 3" because the casings are all fancy trim with no flat spots. It won't be pretty. How rugged are these transmitters. If mounted on the door, will they stand up to constant vibration of opening and closing the door?

Bob

Reply to
Robertm

Ah, gotcha. thanks. Bob

Reply to
Robertm

They'll just fit into a deep old work box if you put them in on an angle, or just use old work cut-in rings.

| > Sometimes we will cut them into the wall and put a singlegang blank plate | > over the cut in box...at outlet height. | >

| Must be tiny xmtrs. Not much headroom in a ci box. Clever idea, though. | js | | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

assuming it's a plastic "plate" and with that, of course, we up here in Canada then have that pesky grounding issue to deal with.

Reply to
mikey

Done it a bunch of times, the (ademco) 5816's just fit into them. But the newer 5817's don't. At least the cf's don't. One other note, I like to use the hinge-side contacts (sentrol 3008's) - that way I don't have to worry about light switch wiring meeting my drill bit.... They don't get along very well... Plus, folks are less likely to notice stuff on that side of the door. Have also done it by installing the 3008 just above the top hinge and mounting the transmitter on the wall against the trim. Not too bad assuming everything is white...

alarman wrote:

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.